What I miss most... continued

Peter Gariepy

On the lighter side, I miss the daily, sometimes twice daily visits from the Amazon and PS delivery folks.  Since my two daughters aren't living with us, it seems the drivers have no reason to visit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I am fortunate that two of my daughters live within a stones throw.

They do all of my shopping as I fall into a much more dangerous category than most.

I haven't been inside of a grocery store since March or so. 

Wish I could say that about hospitals and Drs. offices.

Having a pretty good shop (with a lift) on the property gives me things to do.

I could make maintaining the fleet a full time job if I were more of a perfectionist.

Miss most? Cars and coffee, the Wednesday evening cruise, The weekend cruises, swap meets, and all of the local car gatherings.

One of my running buddies calls 2020 "The year of nothing".

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

10 hours ago, kgreen said:

On the lighter side, I miss the daily, sometimes twice daily visits from the Amazon and PS delivery folks.  Since my two daughters aren't living with us, it seems the drivers have no reason to visit.

I’m actually a bit of the opposite.  My wife and MIL order stuff from Amazon almost daily.  I’m ordering car parts and tools all the time.  Poor UPS/FedEx/USPS drivers are sick of my house.  My wife ordered 80 pounds of bird food from Chewy for for the bird feeders in the backyard.  Yeah, the FedEx guy had to lug those boxes to my door while I was walking up. 

“These boxes weigh a ton!”  

“Yeah, it’s bird seed I think.....”

He blinks a few times.....    ‘Ok then...’

But in all seriousness my wife is feeding half of the bird population of Alabama in our backyard.  I think I’ve seen some pterodactyls land, that or the crows have been eating a lot more than I guessed.  

• Like 1

In Florida it is business as usual: last year few could receive unemployment benefits because the portals did not work. This year vaccines are limited to first responders and the elderly and by appointment only except "At this time, the Department is closing the CDR HealthPRO portal to further appointments."

On 12/30/2020 at 1:26 PM, Brass is Best said:

It is the little things sometimes. I miss going to Detroit to visit my friends. See what is happening in the new car world and stopping at Lafayette Coney Island. For a 2 on 1 with chili cheese!

1207111004.jpg

Because of our governor, all restaurants are closed in the state except for carry out.  So good luck sitting down for a coney & chili fries & coke with friends.

All she says is "i'm following "the science"".  When asked to present "the science" we get a "trust me".  What a bunch of c#&*.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AURktman said:

my wife is feeding half of the bird population of Alabama in our backyard. 

Can I send you some genuine Southside Virginia tree rats to feed?🐿

I doused a seed cake with hot sauce and sriracha this morning after two of them managed to open the cage, dump the seed cake on the ground and assault it. I hope they enjoyed the seasoning... I've read they can't tolerate hot pepper and I hope that's true.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Can I send you some genuine Southside Virginia tree rats to feed?🐿

I doused a seed cake with hot sauce and sriracha this morning after two of them managed to open the cage, dump the seed cake on the ground and assault it. I hope they enjoyed the seasoning... I've read they can't tolerate hot pepper and I hope that's true.

Or you could go all SW on them..

Try trapping them and put them in your dryer vent and when you crank on the hi heat they come flying out the vent to never return. 

That's a heat our local ground squirrels and fruit rats don't care for and never forget.... ;) 
Haven't seen or heard from any for months... (lil sobs) 

I guess we need a "things I don't miss" thread now...🙄

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

We’ve got a bunch of the bushy tailed rats, raccoons, etc back there too.  My wife fattens all of them up, deer too.   The raccoon is so chunky that it ran off a deer that was trying to much on the Golden Corral buffet my wife leaves back there. I swear it’s turned into a cuddly T-Rex.  We get a nature show every dusk.  

• Thanks 1

My family is all close except  for one brother that lives in Canada, miss not seeing him for the last year. On the lighter side I simply miss going to roadhouse for a nice steak. Although my home cooking is as good, its nice to get out once in awhile and not get the kitchen messy. I DONT miss fast food, I would frequent way too often, though I havent been since last March. I miss riding with some buddies on a sat afternoon, and of coarse I miss all of the car events.

• Like 1

Rerun /old news probably but it comes back to the memories that I would have to last me through the winter months of the great time at the Hershey Fall meet. Talking to friends like Larry Schramm, lots of other Buick Club people, Franklin Club people, friends I met and knew from CCCA when I used to belong to that, great friends from England and Germany and Australia. And especially my former bro in law who I share spaces with who as he says about me " you are my real brother" and I feel the same about him. Most of all spending the 4 days there with my son who puts up with his old Dad.

• Like 3

I heat ya Walt.  My last Hershey was 2011.  Went there to buy more stuff that I probably already had or didn’t really need but the price was right.  Never realized that year was going to be my last trip (I would have bought more😀).  Now I watch the pictures that people post on here each fall and thoroughly enjoy all the comments they make.   I am hoping to get to the new library when it opens as it’s layout will be wheelchair friendly and I might have a few $$$ saved up to buy a few things when my wife’s not looking.

• Like 2

On 12/31/2020 at 9:54 AM, Xander Wildeisen said:

Years of swap meet training teaches a person to always scope out the locations of the rest rooms.😆

Ever notice that those Porta-Potties get busier every year?   Sign of the aging hobby.

In the old days it was just the beer drinkers in line.   Now the old beer drinkers have

their own Porta-Potty with locks at their sites.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Ever notice that those Porta-Potties get busier every year?   Sign of the aging hobby.

In the old days it was just the beer drinkers in line.   Now the old beer drinkers have

their own Porta-Potty with locks at their sites.

The old beer drinkers have moved on to power breakfasts. Chilly cheese fries and double dogs with extra onions.😋 https://youtu.be/F0bSY_IXsQk