What I miss most... continued

Peter Gariepy

COVID has wreaked havoc on many of our lives. I'm not referring to missed car shows, or the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask.

I miss the time I could have spent with my father before his passing.

I miss my friends who's lives were cut short by this pandemic. (including car club friends)

I miss hugs. (Seriously, when's the last time you got to hug someone not in your immediate circle?)

(I'll stop there... but so much more)

But... I have hope 2021 will be a better year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I will miss all the great take out meals my wife and I have been buying to keep our local restaurants in business.  I think she will too as she had been looking to put our pots and pans on Craigslist (ok just kidding about that).  It will be wonderful to have more human interaction.  

• Like 2

I miss my sore feet and back slogging the rows of Hershey. Never thought in my life I would miss a year while I was still drawing air...........and my friend who died since the cancelled fall meet, of the COVID 19, that I would have seen one last time...........Lester.....till we meet again in that big Cadillac junk yard in the sky............

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

I miss hugs. (Seriously, when's the last time you got to hug someone not in your immediate circle?)

Last Thursday when I gave the waitresses in my breakfast diner a $20 Christmas tip.  It's nice to make someone happy..............Bob

• Like 3

I miss seeing old and new friends at car events, and miss seeing the kids and grandkids as much as we'd like.

As to the tip, my brother in law is a sanitation engineer.  I was asked years ago

if I tipped our garbage man (who does a great job, by the way, taking just about anything I put by the street).  I now give him $40 at Christmas and he's very appreciative.  This practice seems a lot more common than I was aware.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, padgett said:

I tried taping a card and some money to the top of the garage can. Was still there after the pickup. Is all automated these daze.

Sorry I missed it! 😏

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I miss touring with all my AACA and VMCCA friends,  I miss sitting down in a restaurant as I am getting tired of "take out".  I miss getting dressed up in a Tuxedo 5-6 times a year for gala fund raising events.  I miss seeing my grandson graduate From OU in June and his sister graduate last week.  There will  be no re-runs.   Zoom just doesn't cut it.  So far my wife and I have missed contracting Covid and for that  I am eternally grateful.   Can't wait for 2021.

• Like 1

Missing the opportunity to spend time with my mother during her last months of healthy life; she died in November at age 104. Beginning in March she was quarantined in the elder-care facility due to COVID precautions, and then in July she was actually diagnosed with COVID and had to be moved to a skilled nursing facility. She later tested negative and returned to her own apartment in the initial facility, which was still on lockdown. She was going downhill physically and mentally, and I suspect she had long-term affects from both COVID and the resulting isolation from family that both played a role. By the way, she was a 60-year AACA member.  

• Like 5

On 12/28/2020 at 9:35 AM, Peter Gariepy said:

BCD started a post with the topic "what I miss most". I'm restarting it here. I implore all of you to keep it positive, civil and generally within the forum rules. 

THANKS!

Peter, its BDC (next thing someone is calling me CBD 🤪).

I miss people with common sense, they're harder to get by every day. 

• Haha 1

Two things - 

1. I miss the family that is too far away to reasonably drive to. We had a trip in April that we had to cancel.

2. I miss car shows! I will not be able to attend many events for the next few years due to work stuff; I already know I can't go to Hershey 2021 for example. This year should have been a prime year for going to car events. But, my car is much better sorted than it was, so I guess there is that.

15 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I miss going to see live music.

I know many who play in bands.  And the local Blues bar brings in many great acts from all over North America.  Its an excellent way for me to kill a Friday or Saturday night.

Craig

Craig,

I am with you on that. One of the very few advantages of living part of the year near NYC is there was a constant flow of bands in the area, both big and small. My youngest son and I have been going to concerts together for several years now. I had posted these pictures before on a thread that was deleted (for other reasons) We caught the four of the six Dead and Company Fall Run Tour shows. (he did all six) Two as Madison Square Garden, and two at Nassau, I did not have the energy to go to Virginia for the other two. Hard to believe the photo below was taken just a little less than 14 months ago with everyone packed so tight, seems like years ago

One thing I did notice I do have a lot more money in my pocket with no shows to go to... 

1031192122.jpg

1105191954.jpg

1031192105.jpg

On my little street we developed a strong sense of community.  Many of us are in the over 65 age group and a lot of the younger neighbors stepped up to help us if we needed something.  We also waived more to each other and called more often to make sure everyone was ok.  That part I hope continues going forward.  I actually got to a small local outdoor car show back when the COVID was less active.  A neighbor volunteered to help get me there and push my wheelchair if I ran out of steam during the event.  Not all memories will be bad.  Still, I’m ready to get back to a better normal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Let's add things we WON'T miss provided we get back to some semblance of normal.

Top of my list? Drive-through everything. Never liked them much and absolutely despise them now. I suspect the real reason most fast food chains haven't reopened inside seating or walk-up service is that they like not having to maintain a dining room and restrooms. Me, I ain't sitting in a line of 30 cars. Nobody's food is that good. And if they get the order wrong, it's back in line to get that corrected. I'll eat baloney sammitches first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Apparently my OCD (CDO?) kicked in and I put them In alpha order.  My apologies. :)

20 hours ago, bdc said:

Peter, its BDC (next thing someone is calling me CBD 🤪).

I miss people with common sense, they're harder to get by every day. 

You guys trying to short circuit a dyslexic? 

• Haha 2

When I really stop and think about it, I miss just about everything... I think I miss humor the most 

Seems like everything in our daily activity involves being corralled into a new way of life that isn't normal that seems to rob us of it.

People watching has become fun again though, especially sitting outside any local business (those who are allowed to operate). I sometimes bet my wife which person gets frustrated the most by the time they get to the entrance after realizing they forgot their mask inside the car. Seems our reactions are quite entertaining and universal....

"AHH #$%!"

Dilbert has become entertaining again too..

Dating In The Age Of Coronavirus - Dilbert by Scott Adams

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

A whole lot to miss!  I miss my friends and AACA family who we have had relatively small contact with this year.  Thankfully the two shows in Gettysburg were great.  I miss the certainty when and if events will be held as it has been a difficult year for us here at the home office. I too miss the smiles and inevitable hugs at Hershey.  Best week of the year for me.

Most of all I miss a normal world, free from a pandemic, free from political and social unrest, free from disrespect of others and free from a lack of sense of humor.  I grew up in a small New England town and was shielded from the real problems in life.  I had a town that raised me along with a fabulous family.  It was, in fact, like  a "Fathers Know Best" type of world for those that saw the TV show.  A kinder and gentler life.

Come to think of it, I really miss new car announcement time as a kid when the new models came in and were hidden from view.  It was fun to try and sneak a preview.  Damn I am old and so I have quite a bit to miss!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

It was the same here in southern Virginia tobacco fields. All you did was work those fields, and there were only four TV channels, so you didn't get exposed to the world's dirt. 24/7 "news" (propaganda?) channels have had a lot to do with what our world has become. I don't watch or listen to them. Even local news reports only the bad, anymore.

Dilbert has always been entertaining to those of us in the corporate world. People who don't "get" Dilbert have either never worked in corporate or are part of the crowd that inspires Scott Adams' often biting commentary. There were times I was convinced he had a mole in my company. Then I realized it was the same in any corporate environment, and it deserved to be lampooned and ridiculed!😺

I once read that society could be summed up in "Archie" comics. The five main characters are in every group, everywhere in the world. I find Dilbert to be much the same. So, we do still have some humor!

• Like 2

And to find the ones with the shortest lines!😃

I miss the days when I could eat anything I wanted without me gut hauling me up short. As many tv ads as there are for stomach medicine I know I'm not the only one who knows how to do the back-door quick-step, as me grandpa called it back in the days of outdoor johnnyhouses!

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

It is the little things sometimes. I miss going to Detroit to visit my friends. See what is happening in the new car world and stopping at Lafayette Coney Island. For a 2 on 1 with chili cheese!

1207111004.jpg

Looks great! I could go for that with about 5-7 ICE COLD beers right now!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I miss feeling like a human. 

After the outbreak started here in the US, I had one week out of the office / classroom (I teach at a university) but I was right back in the office for 15 days straight then a normal schedule up until December 13th (Dec 13 to now is the longest break I've taken in 10 years).  We were 3D printing face shields and parts for local hospitals as fast as we could.  All of my classes were online, long periods of just seeing an occasional face pop up on Zoom during the class.  Everything that that made me feel human such as going to local car shows, restaurants, etc. were now out.  Although I have been in quite a few stores in the last few months with minimal contact, its still worrying about face masks, distancing, bathing in hand sanitizer every 5 minutes that makes it feel like I'm a lone human in a zombie apocalypse.  Not to mention the hand sanitizer we had put in our office smells like rot gut tequila, I gagged every time I used it so I ordered 4 quarts of unscented stuff that really is unscented.    All of this has made people act less like humans every day, quite discouraging and disappointing.  

Now with the vaccines out, we find out there is a new strain floating around and from what I understand its even worse than the original.  I desperately want to believe 2021 will be better, but the realist in me takes a look at the news for 5 minutes and knows that it won't.  Only things keeping my sanity are my wife's cooking, working in my workshop on my projects, and the knowledge that one day I will FINALLY get all of my flathead motors rebuilt.  If 2021 ends up worse than 2020, I think I will start to look for a quiet church in Europe and become a monk as long as they let me take my cats. 

Sorry for the discombobulated rant, I usually don't.  Must be the hand sanitizer....  I now provide scrubbing bubbles every time I use the bathroom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I miss having something to do besides work. I love my job, but a little variety would be nice. I have to be extra cautious since I do loans for seniors and I have autoimmune issues. I am working 100% remotely right now, which luckily can be done in my industry, so I rarely leave home. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 3