What I miss most(2.0)

I posted in the "what I miss most" and got 4 forum members react positively on it immediately! Now the whole subject is gone! Why is the moderator(s) so scared of people speaking their mind? Nothing inappropriate was said and apparently it hit the nail right on the head with other forum members. 

Moderator(s), I'm very disappointed ☹

• Like 3

Ach! Der subchek vas causing der Fuhrer trouple. Soon der kinders vood be saying udder verboten sings. Den dey vood loose kontrol on der kinders. Dey haf vays of dealing vis der naughty kinders. Dey are made to go kaput.

Now be good kinders und talk only good sings.........Herr Bop.

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

I suspect it's just because that thread was not about cars.   I figured it wouldn't last long, as the mods delete threads that are not about cars and things car-related.   

And having moderated Internet forums before, I know it is difficult and thankless work. Thanks to the moderators for keeping us on-point. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

An dara cuid sith no cogadh.

Scots Gaelic motto of Clan Gunn, of which my family is a sept.

I co-moderate the Olds forums so I understand the need to avert anything that raises hackles, but my thing is moderate what needs moderating. Meaning surgically slice out what is over the line and leave what isn't.

To do otherwise is to be a part of what provokes such commentary.

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

I suspect it's just because that thread was not about cars.   I figured it wouldn't last long

Oh so now no one can't talk about anything but cars in the general section? 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Oh so now no one can't talk about anything but cars in the general section? 

Registration terms of the forum: "You agree, through your use of this private forum, that you will posts only topics and responses directly related to the mission of the Antique Automobile Club of America and automotive hobby...."

https://forums.aaca.org/terms/

2 hours ago, bdc said:

I posted in the "what I miss most" and got 4 forum members react positively on it immediately! Now the whole subject is gone! Why is the moderator(s) so scared of people speaking their mind? Nothing inappropriate was said and apparently it hit the nail right on the head with other forum members. 

Sometimes I don't even think it's the mods but the whiney a'$#s that are out there who have no understanding of what it is to turn the channel if you don't like something. As if everything they say is something everyone else must agree with. Arrogance in it's purist form. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, 1935Packard said:

Registration terms of the forum: "You agree, through your use of this private forum, that you will posts only topics and responses directly related to the mission of the Antique Automobile Club of America and automotive hobby...."

https://forums.aaca.org/terms/

Okay, I see... because we (some of us) talk about other interests in life it is somehow not part of the AACA mission? 

That's laughable.

You do realize how arrogant and stuck up that must seem to anyone considering the AACA? Are you trying to push prospective members away?

God I hope all the mods are not like you... 

All you need now is a fake accent to complete your holier than thou patronizing tone. 

I guess talking about fun activities like riding in the dunes, going to concerts, fishing or camping is not a proper representation of what it is to be a perfect AACA member? 

Seems you've set the bar pretty high for every member in the AACA friend. Good on you

Remember everyone,.. only cars are to be discussed here or you will be banned. 

Pathetic 

42 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

my thing is moderate what needs moderating. Meaning surgically slice out what is over the line and leave what isn't.

To do otherwise is to be a part of what provokes such commentary.

Please !  And MAACAFORUMSGA.   -  CC 

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I think it’s more to do with politic discussions etc rarely end well and that can equally detract people from participating. 

The old car hobby needs as many people as possible these days and I personally can’t see how it’s going to attract more people than it’s going to push away

• Like 2
1 minute ago, hidden_hunter said:

I think it’s more to do with politic discussions etc rarely end well and that can equally detract people from participating. 

The old car hobby needs as many people as possible these days and I personally can’t see how it’s going to attract more people than it’s going to push away

Fair enough and I totally understand. It wasn't all politics though. It was a fun topic to see what others are looking forward to when we get back to normal.
Maybe moderation is in order then instead of completely deleting every post...

Why have the words moderator in the agreement then (if they aren't moderating)? 

Some people are so thin skinned anymore.... 

41 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Okay, I see... because we (some of us) talk about other interests in life it is somehow not part of the AACA mission? 

That's laughable.

You do realize how arrogant and stuck up that must seem to anyone considering the AACA? Are you trying to push prospective members away?

All you need now is a fake accent to complete your holier than thou patronizing tone. 

I pointed out the terms we all agreed to follow in an effort to explain what was happening.  My apologies if that was a particularly terrible thing to do.  Anyway, merry Christmas and happy new year to you and everyone on the forum.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, 1935Packard said:

Thank you for accepting my apology.  And thanks again to the moderators, whose work is more important than ever.  

Do you keep a file on the Thumps Up option that members may click on if they enjoy a post or reply? 

5 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

Thank you for accepting my apology.  And thanks again to the moderators, whose work is more important than ever.  

What we definitely don't need for moderators.... Butt polishers. They already have an inflated view of their importance.

• Thanks 1

Some of you guys need to take a pill and calm down.  I've had several posts deleted recently.  I don't know why, but I don't ask and don't whine about it as it's not that important.  It ranks right up there with several of you commenting that my posts in the Humor section are posed pictures.  I guess you are offended by everything not being real-world.  It is what it is.  Take a deep breath.  The moderators have a thankless job and from what I've seen, they do let a lot of borderline posts slide.    Continuing to complain about it isn't going to win any brownie points, but could result in us following in Lebowski's footsteps.  It's a big sandbox...can't we all just play nice?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’m sure my post added to if not we’re the reason the thread was taken down. For that I apologize. It would be great if the moderators could just remove the inappropriate post and the post that may cause the going off the rails but the time and effort in that process may be similar to unobtanium parts. My only regret when this happens is some good discussions are deleted. I have never taken opposing arguments as personal attacks and certainly don’t take the moderators removing one of my post in a thread that way either. I do feel bad if my post caused an otherwise interesting thread to be removed. Again if this was the case for the thread to be removed I apologize to all of you that were enjoying the discussion and the moderators. 
dave s 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Before this post is taken down please read this quote, a favorite of an important person on this site.

"Reprove not a scorner, lest he hate thee: rebuke a wise man, and he will love thee." - Proverbs 9:8

I too, have been the subject of moderators on forums and some moderators will not listen to reason when they are questioned.

I was banned once because I wanted to explain my post to him.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
12 hours ago, bdc said:

Its deletion was not a reflection of you the original poster, but many of the responses.

There were LOTS of political comments related to COVID.   So many that I had to delete the ENTIRE thread.  

Keep it civil, on topic and not political and I have no issue with your post.

10 hours ago, Studemax said:

BDC - You KNOW why, you don't have to ask. We all KNOW why. But if we say why, we get banned. Happens to me all the time - not just here.

Speak your mind if you feel my moderating is heavy handed.

1 minute ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Its deletion was not a reflection of you the original poster, but many of the responses.

There were LOTS of political comments related to COVID.   So many that I had to delete the ENTIRE thread.  

Keep it civil, on top and not political and I have no issue with your post.

AMEN!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

That's laughable.

I guess talking about fun activities like riding in the dunes, going to concerts, fishing or camping is not a proper representation of what it is to be a perfect AACA member? 

Seems you've set the bar pretty high for every member in the AACA friend. Good on you

Pathetic 

Whats pathetic is the thread was fine talking bout dunes, and concerts and fishing... and would have been left along...

But the thread was sabotaged by those with a political gripe, and then the piling on began.

And yes... this forum is about CARS! I REFUSE TO APOLOGIZE FOR THAT!  Is it so over the top to expect the conversation to be about cars? at least on the surface?!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Studemax said:

What we definitely don't need for moderators.... Butt polishers. They already have an inflated view of their importance.

Feel free to take over the job if you think you can do a better job.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, bdc said:

Don't feel bad.  I won the day with 23 reactions and I think all but one or two positive,  but even that post was removed,  long before the thread.

What do I miss most.  All the businesses we will never see again.  Whether I was a patron of them or not.  In a free economy none should have suffered the way they have.  I'm sure many of us wont even realize how many were affected until we finally if ever get to finally go to car shows we once enjoyed if they even have many of them again.  

Just think some of those could have even been financial contributors to causes like the AACA.  Today I get an email the funding is running short.  It all trickles down. Any business owner understands this most. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

It would be great if the moderators could just remove the inappropriate post ....

Know what would be REALLY GREAT!? ... if people didn't post things that don't break the forum rules.

You know damn well what they are, or you wouldn't have apologized for it.

About moderation........

I must admit I do a lot of Peters job for him........and he doesn't even realize it. I will post something while sitting at the bar under the influance of Crown Royal........that seems like a good idea at the time.....three hours later after I sleep it off, I go back and check what I wrote......sometimes I edit it.......most often I remove it. Probably five to ten times per week. I think I average a post removal once every two or three months............sometimes I can't figure out why. I don't let it bother me, I just keep pounding away on the keyboard. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, edinmass said:

About moderation........

I must admit I do a lot of Peters job for him........and he doesn't even realize it. I will post something while sitting at the bar under the influance of Crown Royal........that seems like a good idea at the time.....three hours later after I sleep it off, I go back and check what I wrote......sometimes I edit it.......most often I remove it. Probably five to ten times per week. I think I average a post removal once every two or three months............sometimes I can't figure out why. I don't let it bother me, I just keep pounding away on the keyboard. 

What many of you don't understand or appreciate...

I seldom chastise anyone for their rule breaking posts.  They already know they broke the rules. So whats the point?  

There is some implications in this thread that I ban people on a regular basis.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

As to surgical removal of rule-breaking posts...  No.  NO.  I have a life outside of this forum. Especially during the holiday season. I'm not going to lose 30 min of my life to save a post from it going down the drain. Its easier to just remove it and let it reincarnate itself.

• Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Know what would be REALLY GREAT!? ... if people didn't post things that don't break the forum rules.

You know damn well what they are, or you wouldn't have apologized for it.

Peter, I apologized for not having the self control to not break the rule but not for what I posted. In that apology I was saying it would be an impossible job for you to just delete post like mine, I was not trying to say the moderators were wrong. I truly did not mean it as a slight to you or any moderators as I feel you do have a very important and almost impossible job. It is appreciated even when I go off the rails. 
dave s 

• Like 3

What I miss the most is people respecting other people and not forcing their thoughts and opinions as the only thoughts and opinions. 

I am sure we all heard "never discuss Politics or Religion,"  so just maybe, just maybe can we please go back to that philosophy? There are places for those who want to share the anger, but this is not the place. I miss my mother-in-law who passed from covid as well as one of my friends and two of my fellow union brothers I had worked with over the years. I do miss people respecting other people's losses with different comments other then "it is what it is." 

Now back to the topic at hand, This photos was taken a year ago this week with my youngest son at a New York Islanders game, things I took for granted I miss. I know that my sons and I would have been flying out to see the Alabama/Notre Dame Game this coming Friday in a normal situation 

I really do miss attending live sporting events with my sons

1241539251886324751.jpg

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Let's face it......after the last ten months...........every single person is a bit loopy once in a while............these are very strange times we are living through.......lots of people suffering in ways none of us can imagine. With the computer being how 99 percent of us communicate and vent today.............it's a wonder we are all still here with a sense of humor. I have been thinking of starting a new topic in the General Forum.............Why are poets so silent on the subject of cheese? Shall I include a photo of a poet in the back seat of a limo eating a cheese sandwich to keep it on point and in the rules?  It's things like this that keep me up at night..........of course, we could also ponder why "You can't go fishing in a red canoe"; because of course there are no bones in ice cream. 

Send money, I need help........lots of it! (Both!)

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, edinmass said:

... Shall I include a photo of a poet in the back seat of a limo eating a cheese sandwich to keep it on point and in the rules?

I believe it would have to be an antique limo for the topic to be within the rules.  If the poet was eating aged cheese on his sandwich I wouldn't delete the photo. If the poet was eating a grilled cheese sandwich in the back of a limo the photo would be gone in a New York minute. There are just some things that a moderator can't let slide. :)

• Haha 2