Overdrive & keys

I have been looking into getting a 1930 model a Tudor. I want to put an overdrive in it so I can keep up with traffic. Where can I find one (used is also good) that won’t break the bank. Also the previous owner passed recently and the keys are no where to be found. The car was driven about a month ago. Other than hot wiring it is there a better way to start it. I would need to get it to drive on a trailer. 

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

IMHO get the Mitchell.

Yes indeed!  Get a 26% OD and don't be tempted by the available 36% unit.  These boxes were developed specifically for Model As and all the parts necessary for installation are available from them.  The late Mr. Mitchell beta-tested the unit in a Chev 454 dually pickup and couldn't break it.  I have one in a 1925 Pierce 80 with the unfortunate mandatory SF ratio of 4.88 in the diff. That car used to have a comfortable cruising speed of 36-37 mph, engine screaming at 40-41 mph.  Now 49-50 mph is comfortable.  It's a family-owned business in Colusa, CA, just up the road a piece from you.  Make an appointment and go talk with them--I recommend talking with Cindy, who is a fine machinist in her own right.

Bratton's, 800-255-1929 makes an emergency ignition jumper, PN 16360 for about $20. One end screws into the distributor, remove the red wire from the coil and clip the wire from the jumper to the lead on the coil and you have by-passed the switch. Once you get the time, you can remove the locking screw from the switch and remove the tumbler and see the key code on the side and have a key made.

• Like 1