Getting excited about Hershey

Terry Bond

Got my pre registration in today's mail. Counting the days. Just filling out that form made the day almost like normal.

See you there, stop and visit GCC 5, 6. Don't forget to bring old spark plugs.

Terry

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Got my pre registration in today's mail. Counting the days. Just filling out that form made the day almost like normal.

See you there, stop and visit GCC 5, 6. Don't forget to bring old spark plugs.

Terry

Waiting for mine, as our mail is always a bit later arriving.

Mine arrived yesterday.  I thought the note about the 2021 AACA ID cards was interesting; if you haven't received them by January 15 write in the number instead of taping a copy of the card to the form.  I guess due to moving to the new building and the post office delays, the cards will be late arriving.  

After watching news reports about mountains of mail stockpiled at the Baltimore USPS faculty, I am reluctant to mail my Hershey renewal from my home in MD. I have been sending eBay packages thru the Hanover, PA post office- so they get processed at Lancaster. I think I’ll mail my Hershey renewal in the same fashion. Sad, but think twice about how you mail yours. 

My mail comes through Baltimore , Have been getting in about three days . Now Fedex Has been really bad here .Left packets at the mail box and people take them. My drive is about half mile in the woods . Kings32

Terry, I got my Hershey registration packet too. I totally agree with what you said. I will fill mine out in the next few days. I hope this gives everyone some much needed hope about that wonderful event , something yo just know you will be happy to attend. Even if you don't find any "major" addition for your collection ( past several years for me it has been purchase of supplies to restore what I already have , and some tools as well all ) the fact you can look around at the huge amount of people there and think that they are as enthusiastic as you are . If you think it costs a bit of $ to attend, think about how many people attend from Europe! Everyone stay well, Hershey 2021 will be the "healing" we all need from what we have been faced with to endure.

It’s a shame with the mail being so messed up that the Hersey registration can’t be emailed. That would save a lot of dollars for sending out and a lot of aggravation for those registering. It shouldn’t be too hard to do. 
dave s 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JAK said:

What has happened to our USPS?

They've been bad for a while now they are ridiculous!!!  Hard as they try, the postal disservice cannot overcome the mentality of 'government employees'. 

To respond to another thread about 'what did you get for Christmas that was unusual?'  Don't know, I have several gift packages wandering around the postal system.  :(

Several years ago I was in the downtown post office in our small town.  There were over 30 customers in line, out the door the 2nd week of December.  While waiting in line I called the postmaster @ the other location asking why only ONE employee was working?!?!?  'Sorry, we are short staffed, lot of people on vacation and sick'. 

WTH?!?!?  I asked why the post office allowed so many staff to be off the busiest time and why they did not create blackout dates, such as the Christmas mailing period.  His answer referenced 'union' and 'employees have the right to take days off blah blah blah'.  Such idiocy!!! 

Mail is reported to be 'wall to wall' and '50 semi trailers full' at the Detroit Distribution Center:  https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/12/22/you-have-mail-packages-stack-up-wall-to-wall-as-usps-center-in-allen-park

A Priority Mail package I shipped 12/2, lingered in Detroit for over 2 weeks before progressing to Colorado and arriving 12/18.  A 1st class regular #10 envelope from Northern Indiana postmarked 10/5 was delivered to me in SE Michigan on 11/6. 

https://www.deadlinedetroit.com/articles/26947/a_perfect_storm_detroit-area_mail_delays_are_a_holiday_week_frustration

And 50k lbs of mail crashed in NC:   https://www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/tractor-trailer-carrying-50k-pounds-of-usps-packages-crashes-on-i-77/

Yup, I am told that there is still a pkg. out there for me, sent from Palm Springs early December.

Tracking says its been to Kansas and Tennessee, then Georgia.

Haven't talked to my brother since the 25th so don't know where it is now. (NC  crash? could be)

The long way to Oregon.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

I mailed my check to AACA Hershey Region for the spaces this a.m. hope that we all at least get a postcard when they can saying yes your check is here!.

Like having a close captioned system on the phone ( which I have to have) the service is at best very very weak at times. Understand why- overload due to much increased use by all because of the pandemic and not being able to shop normally BUT this is the worst delivery time for the P.O. i have ever seen.

Can't blame the letter carriers etc.

I've talked with several people who are waiting a couple of weeks before sending in their renewal.  They are going to wait for the mail stuff to settle down a bit after the holiday jams.   I've noticed an improvement locally, and they are trying hard to work through it all.  We have been getting two deliveries at least once a week (no, I didn't buy that much on evil-bay!).    I've started getting a few periodicals back on their regular schedule now too.  How the local carriers still smile I don't know.

Terry

The news today explained the dilemma of the USPS.  I will condense it for you:

1.  The USPS does not add seasonal employees

2.  UPS and Fed-Ex curtailed the amount of business they would take which forced business over to USPS

3.  USPS does not have the manpower or equipment to handle the increase in traffic

4.  USPS has been hit with over 30,000 cases of COVID (wonder how many others had to be quarantined as a result)

5.  A massive online sales year added to this issue

It is a very mixed bag for us as we get thousands of pieces of email and packages here.  Some have been lightning fast and others have taken a month to arrive!  Members in certain areas still have not received their club magazines although mailed out in Mid-November.  I have talked to a major user of USPS (they have a USPS facility inside their building) and verified the huge issue.  Hopefully they can catch up SOON! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who has been purchasing things online and watching the tracking routes for a few years would think that news came from smoke signals, blowing a little anyway.

Don't forget the thousands of mailboxes that were spirited away during the night on flatbed trucks.

Hi Steve and all, USPS has many issues, some internal, some not. Way too involved to explain in brief here. But,

1. False

2. True

3. False

4.questionable

5. True

All I can say that this information was taken from a long article yesterday in the news where USPS officials and others were quoted.  True or not, the issue of delayed mail is a serious one and one I did not mean to cast blame.  Just stating the obvious about what has gone on the last month or so.  We have had some horror stories of seeing postmarked mail arrive 30 days late and have a serious issue with our last magazine getting out to members in certain states, it is second class so lower priority but it went out mid-November! 

I just hope the form and check I sent to the Hershey Region for the Fall meet flea market spaces arrive by the deadline . It was mailed the day after I received it.

I an understand and appreciate the increased volume of mail due to the virus, no one wants to go out so are using the shipping /mail services of many facilities USPS or otherwise.

My mail here at the house was delivered after 5 pm yesterday in the dark and the carrier had on a hoodie with a light mounted to the top of it (! I am serious) as well as a flashlight in his hand.

Steve in the interest of being factual - the magazine is mailed “Periodicals rate”. The USPS in its infinite wisdom did away with the term “Second class” years ago as it is not politically correct and everyone knows we must be absolutely politically correct in every thing we do and say now. That’s why we give participation trophies out to everyone also. 
I wonder if AACA is going to give me a trophy this year because I own an old prewar car? 
dave s 

In regards to the Antique Automobile magazine, my November - December issue was received in southern Nevada on December 31. The mailing date on the shipping label said it was mailed on November 12. So, six weeks from mailing to receipt.....something is definitely going on!

Kevin