Dreaded Fan Blade Cracks - 1929 Std 6

Poppy510

Thanks to this website I inspected the blades on my 1929 DB Standard 6 - and found a pretty major crack on one of the blades. The second blade was fine. I checked Myers...does anyone have a solution or know where a replacement might be available? So far all seems well running only one blade, but I wouldn't want to spend much time sitting still! 

4 hours ago, Poppy510 said:

Thanks to this website I inspected the blades on my 1929 DB Standard 6 - and found a pretty major crack on one of the blades. The second blade was fine. I checked Myers...does anyone have a solution or know where a replacement might be available? So far all seems well running only one blade, but I wouldn't want to spend much time sitting still! 

Sorry can't help sourcing a replacement but perhaps a weld job, even if a temporary measure. 

This topic however serves as a warning to all, how many of us have used the fan blade(s) as a lever to turn the engine over ? Sooner or later stress cracks will develop, the added vibration and centrifugal forces aren't helpful either, maybe time we all had a close  look. 

Had a similar problem with my DA some time back. From memory I used a Valiant (slant six) fan. Not sure if they are the same in USA, but suspect they would be. They only need minor modification to fit, again, from memory, centre hole bored out slightly, bolt holes elongated slightly. Could not find an original one to use that was not also cracked. Also discussed at 

Some clues there for you as well. Good luck.

John

The cracking in the fan is common to many cars of the era. Also look at your wheels.......hubs and rims. Lots of wheel failures today......the wheels are approaching  100 years old. Most people are too lazy to strip them all the way down........when you have a wheel pass you on the road at 45 mph, you will wish you did. 

1 hour ago, nearchoclatetown said:

I would not run with only one blade. Find a replacement before you need a radiator core. 

1 blade will tear things to pieces. You can modify a plastic fan to work, or find a shop to do it for you. The Model A Ford stores sell them for those makes. You can go for a drive without the fan. It only is needed when you are going very slow and no air is going through the radiator. I have gone 50 miles or so without a fan when I lost a belt on tour.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

If you can't find a close replacement I would run ANY fan that worked, even if it was a modern one with fiberglass blades. A cracked blade breaking free will almost certainly ruin your radiator if it doesn't do much worse...I've dealt with engines where the owner ignored this problem at least twice and in both case the repairs were much more expensive than a replacement fan.

Ans, as J Franklin correctly points out, running with only 1 blade is a sure recipe for disaster.

I hope to find an original replacement unless I can find a modern alternative that looks "mostly" right. Hopefully someone here can point me in the direction of a good modern replacement.

To clarify: the fan assembly is made up of two pieces with two blades per piece. I am running one "piece," so there really are two blades. Everything is balanced and fine.

Edited by Poppy510 (see edit history)

In the Phaeton Fan Disaster thread, Mattml430 posted a replacement fan that he used.

This is the one he used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Derale-17315-15-Standard-Rotation-Rigid-Race-Fan-Steel-Blade-Black-Powdercoated/132235054845?epid=192563727&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1ec9d2cefd:g:q2AAAOSwjRpZSwC~&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACsBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkBUIiHwYv5YgVss0WaiENz14qTtUGm2WlZtAPyMzoLAIVVM%2FryuTpBA7Sas7U1GlS1lL62oO9IBnBjnw3%2FE6L72f4pBJZ4mOC0haNUp3nu%2BAMr50Jl0AqdSTGtJ%2BARfK8w5jFk2kDE%2BClulTkZtwQqBZcuWXVN425T8amOUzlTePwf0sGevj5iKlgNKTzvrx1MRiqd3gDoTXR4XCwzfZwCmrPiR1%2Fa2NNdYbVqJFp%2B6zuUmBT6bom1lMWOfl6sWQCv0C3BN8WjJTbS4%2B%2FJwaHs5y%2BWEpthJEvvTsxC586TnthmkUReiCRCe%2FSAtZcteklG3zKlyVCxBRnXXdEy%2BUjY%2F%2BQntlvlaugaEf8w9X3gQkngo6L8z7i4YTJboWgxoSQrG04Fw7nlwbfF3fwke19dGOLNV6bof0t%2BmSzqSCjI5ik8u2v1sQnzuXTltCy1vGfQuBVjHq%2FsckJUch%2FGZ7%2BB6PpJYFSQoZZyfkQDao3rNEWXHLCgkDlBKRNiJxX4hpqVCM23IoxEdHEvcKnol9nwaBX06Zyx7DjXijTNlOrDhcbbroriLy4n3OcKwiYKCIV5NLZH2SnClQmn%2BYWOxRo1kfXvHkdpuooCHCN4feeNA15Az40VBkl%2BUl79wa%2FD08q%2BPxpbbHUHjBbjgJkuNDgH6MsLgYtlI3j3YiFXpURVDcqVhnTVe5RQ3jIljn%2F%2BF%2BDB4K4vWdun5bXzPn6RUIvoXbs5k9h0QoksGSdAKAoQ3CRwqqP%2B0m6MfLMfrRzNiTMvOy2JRPausgq1x0lZpiviiKIGP1VUqRof32FOdQdCru2F8RowOq%2BdENHgqz6DhVD8VFZ6QzV2bobW0MMPKMlVEVcMkUozxaV990ss0gdan8%3D|cksum%3A1322350548453ab49b78c6a44724a9c9f803953ddffc|ampid%3APL_CLK|clp%3A2334524

I also found this one that loos very similar to the original, but seems "no-name":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AllStar-Pro-Series-Extreme-15-15-in-Steel-4-Blade-Fan-cooling/193744864120?_trkparms=aid%3D555021%26algo%3DPL.SIMRVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190711100440%26meid%3D9a59ba1757bf47978206cce664ba6da9%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D13%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D132235054845%26itm%3D193744864120%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplRVIAMLv5WebWithPLRVIOnTopCombiner&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Anyone have any other suggestions?

thank you for your advice!

5 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

They talked about using a Pinto / Ford fan in previous fan breakage thread . Had to ream out center I believe . I see used ones on ebay for under 50 . Maybe some other have used .

I have my dads old pinto that he bought new in the garage I’ll take a picture and some measurements in the morning. That’s good to know. 

6 hours ago, Poppy510 said:

What year Pinto?

6 hours ago, ArticiferTom said:

Do not know . I think ebay says it fits other Fords and Mercury's . Do mount holes match centers ?

Check blade length tip to tip also . Does look like same design .

It’s a 74 mustang 4 cylinder with 17,000 miles on it. He also had a 72 mach1 mustang that he bought at the same time. Kinda wish he kept that one instead of the pinto. But it’s a good original car with all the receipts and shipping documents. “It’s an old piece of shit” Dads words not mine 😂

If I can pull myself away from the roadster long enough tomorrow I’ll measure it all up. 

I finial found that thread again, reading over it . I gave incorrect info . the Pinto fan was for a Pontiac . The Chrysler used a 1950's Chrysler fan . Ebay shows a couple different types of those . No other specifics where given . There where some measurement on the fans . Will have to try and get some from my Dodge to cross . 

Hope someone come thur with exact info ,too .

On 5/16/2019 at 4:51 AM, idrjoe_sandiego said:

Moral:  Dodge Brothers Radiator Fan Blades from this era should be discarded and substituted with a safer version.  Every fan blade from this era that I have checked has cracks in it. I was aware of this and had my fan blades reinforced, but they still broke.  The cracks may be subtle and hard to see, but I promise you, they are there. I modified a fan blade from a 1950 Chrysler. It looks like a 98% perfect match and 3000 times safer. Don’t let it happen! It’s not a matter of “if” it will break; it is a matter of “when”. Getting cut in half with a fan blade is guaranteed to be a bad day.

Not only Dodge but all pre war car fan blades.  My Pontiac threw a blade 35 years ago but only bent radiator fins.  A pinto fan fit perfect just needed to have two holes drilled to match the three bolt hub.  This should be posted somewhere so all pre war drivers will know to check their fans.

• Copy of that post .
  • Thanks 1

I took a close look at the fan from my '25 and although I didn't remove the paint, a close look revealed nothing I could see with a magnifier.  I'm still going to Zyglo inspect it.  The construction of this fan is different in that a thicker material is used for the hub piece that includes the twist for blade angle and the fan blades are riveted on it.  It seems like it would be more crack resistant.  I have no way of being sure this is an original design to 25 but if it is,  it might be an alternative that can be adapted to the later models.  Let me know if anyone would like some dimensions.

IMG_0696.jpg

IMG_0697.jpg