1953 Dodge Meadowbrook

Crisjr14

I would like to see if anyone could help me out on this OD on my '53 Meadowbrook it was not hooked up when I got the car but would like to install it and another thing I am having trouble with is the fluid that goes in there any help would be greatly appreciated thank you 

Overdrive should work automatically if it is working, The cable should go to the overdrive unit on the back of the transmission to lock out the overdrive when you don't want it. It should oil from the transmission.

If it's not working it may be that it was having problems and they wired it locked out.  Get under there and have a good look. 

Even though the transmission and overdrive can share oil, as I recall they usually had two fill plugs and you had to fill or check both to make sure the overdrive has enough oil.

I don't know what the fluid is, but probably some tractor fluid or GL-1 or something would be better than modern gear oil. Hey @Grimy are you reading this?

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)

Just now, Bloo said:

Hey @Grimy are you reading this?

Yeah, I'm here and Merry Christmas to all!

I've had two OD-equipped cars that leaked oil from the OD (rear seal, in both cases), and oil from the main trans did not migrate back to the OD.  Although Willys, for one, specified only "mineral oil" (i.e., GL-1) for both synchro trans and OD, I've run GL-4 for decades without issues.  There are indeed TWO filler and TWO drain plugs' depending on the specific application, they filler plugs may be on opposite sides of the car.

Look at where the cable (from the handle under the dash) attaches to the lever on the side of the trans/OD case.  If it's secured with just a clevis pin, reinstall.  But I recommend checking the adjustment first, like this:  With a helper inside the car operating the handle, and you underneath, you operate the lever to each extreme and mark that position with chalk/Sharpie/tape.  One extreme will be direct, and the other OD-engaged.  The person inside the car pushes the handle all the way in (meaning OD engaged).  Hook the linkage up under the car.  Now the person inside depresses the clutch and pulls the handle all the way out (that's the direct-drive position).  Carefully note and ensure that the lever is at the mark you made before the linkage was hooked up.  IF not, look for opportunities/locations to adjust (perhaps a turnbuckle or adjustable rod).  The goal is to be absolutely certain that the handle moves the lever to both extremes.  This prevents damage and major frustration and expense...

Later we can get into the electricals....

• Like 1

Merry Christmas to all as well and Great I really appreciate it all the advice and will definitely try and do what was suggested only problem is that this '53 is way to low Haha and a pain to pick it up or just wait till I get a better floor Jack I am currently trying to rebuild the carburetors right now (hopefully I dont mess that one up) but if I can get it running again i will look into the OD just didnt know the whole concept of it and was wondering what it is and how it works so let me ask this when i drove it a couple of times and was pulling out and pushing the arm in and nothing really drastic happened is it safe to say that it is not operational?

Screenshot_20201212-045723_Gallery.jpg