And so it begins, '58 Biarritz restoration

Restorer32

8 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

We do not have pics of the car before it was disassembled. It came out of another shop that took it apart, billed the customer for work that was not done and stalled. 

Where have I heard that before...........about one hundred times. Picking up the pieces is five times harder than starting with a rusty unmolested car. Finding all the missing do-dads is the real headache..........."Nothing is missing, ......100 percent complete"............one of the three great lies of mankind. 

• Like 4

On 12/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, rwchatham said:

Just finished up  the chrome and stainless on my 59 eldo , came in right around 35 k ! 

Just think if people bought the early brass cars think of the money you would save on no chrome to be done.

11 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

We do not have pics of the car before it was disassembled. It came out of another shop that took it apart, billed the customer for work that was not done and stalled. The owner has a thing for Eldos and Biarritzes (spelling?). Next car in line after the '58 is a '53 Eldo.

Must be a man of taste!

That was a lot of work and while it may seem pricey to some, it seems very fair considering what was done. A few years ago when I was restoring my 60 Impala the quote on the stainless alone was around $20- $25 per foot, and there is a lot more feet of stainless on your Caddy. Plus Shipping! The shipping bill alone could be over $1000

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Get me on a bar stool sometime and I can tell a great story about being arrested in a small town driving a Rolls-Royce with plates that belonged on a '58 Chevy and showed up as registered with a disassembled '57 Barritz. Saturday night about 10 PM, the cops shirt had sprinkles of donut sugar and his hand was shaking from caffeine. He thought he had scored the big one. Three months probation and a warning to be more selective of my friends on that one.

Ah, memories of days passed.

Bernie

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/31/2020 at 5:25 PM, 60FlatTop said:

Get me on a bar stool sometime and I can tell a great story about being arrested in a small town driving a Rolls-Royce with plates that belonged on a '58 Chevy and showed up as registered with a disassembled '57 Barritz. Saturday night about 10 PM, the cops shirt had sprinkles of donut sugar and his hand was shaking from caffeine. He thought he had scored the big one. Three months probation and a warning to be more selective of my friends on that one.

Ah, memories of days passed.

Bernie

I did that once and got caught, the cop said.  "Any license tag in the rear window is on the wrong vehicle"

He also said he could give me 3 tickets and one would be a felony.   I my court appearance the judge to

me the same thing and fined me $175 and told me not to come back.   I pled no contest and was lucky.

Learned a little more Florida law.