Jump to content

2020 National Awards Notifications


ed nieves
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • ed nieves changed the title to 2020 National Awards Notifications
16 minutes ago, ed nieves said:

Does anyone know when nominees will be notified of the Boards final decisions?

 

Thanks.

 

Hello, Ed.

 

Here is the scenario from the past.  Not certain if anything has changed due to the Annual Convention being pushed out to April.  

 

The first weekend of December the National Awards judges meet in the Hershey HQ for intense scrutiny of photos that were requested by nominees and thus pick the winners.

 

My '72 Triumph TR6 was nominated twice in Class 25-D however did not win.  This was fine with me as to be nominated is quite an honor.  Within the early part of the following week I received a very nice document that has a gold AACA seal affixed for framing and the text states the car was nominated for a national ward with the year, class, etc.

 

The winners "normally" receive a letter of congratulations that arrives just before Christmas one, as sort of a Christmas present and two, out of courtesy so the winners can make travel reservations to attend the Annual Convention.  Now with the Convention pushed out to April maybe things have changed.

 

"If" you did not win you would have received the aforementioned letter and document that you were "nominated" by now.

 

I have confidence someone from HQ will correct the info I had in the past.

 

Regards,

 

Peter J.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mark McAlpine

Hello Ed,

 

I posted this response Wednesday on your same question under "Shows and Tours" and I'm re-posting it here to ensure you saw it.

 

I don't know, but based on comments posted elsewhere on the Forum, I believe notification letters have been mailed out by AACA HQ.  If your vehicle was nominated for a National Award, you should receive a letter any day now.  If you haven't already received your letter, you can call AACA HQ to confirm this--I doubt that they'll tell you whenever your vehicle won or not, but they can confirm that the notification letters have gone out.

 

Good luck!  Let us know the results.  Be safe, stay healthy, and have a Happy New Year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2020 at 8:10 PM, Peter J.Heizmann said:

 

Hello, Ed.

 

Here is the scenario from the past.  Not certain if anything has changed due to the Annual Convention being pushed out to April.  

 

The first weekend of December the National Awards judges meet in the Hershey HQ for intense scrutiny of photos that were requested by nominees and thus pick the winners.

 

My '72 Triumph TR6 was nominated twice in Class 25-D however did not win.  This was fine with me as to be nominated is quite an honor.  Within the early part of the following week I received a very nice document that has a gold AACA seal affixed for framing and the text states the car was nominated for a national ward with the year, class, etc.

 

The winners "normally" receive a letter of congratulations that arrives just before Christmas one, as sort of a Christmas present and two, out of courtesy so the winners can make travel reservations to attend the Annual Convention.  Now with the Convention pushed out to April maybe things have changed.

 

"If" you did not win you would have received the aforementioned letter and document that you were "nominated" by now.

 

I have confidence someone from HQ will correct the info I had in the past.

 

Regards,

 

Peter J.

 

 

Same here.  National nominated two years in a row (2018 and 2019) Both times did not win. Thinking back and as advice to others I think my cell phone photos didn't do the car justice and would at the least try in the future to get better photos taken if nominated again. It was a nice document to receive each time stating the car was nominated as an outstanding vehicle. (I had them framed) Was not nominated this year, but I guess being nominated three years in a row would be too much to expect. Maybe again in the future it will be? Good to hear the non winner documents are already being recieved and surely the winners letters shouldn't be far behind. 

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mark McAlpine
11 minutes ago, philip roitman said:

Same here.  National nominated two years in a row (2018 and 2019) Both times did not win. Thinking back and as advice to others I think my cell phone photos didn't do the car justice and would at the least try in the future to get better photos taken if nominated again. It was a nice document to receive each time stating the car was nominated as an outstanding vehicle. (I had them framed) Was not nominated this year, but I guess being nominated three years in a row would be too much to expect. Maybe again in the future it will be? Good to hear the non winner documents are already being recieved and surely the winners letters shouldn't be far behind. 

 

Don't lose hope, Philip.  I've spoken with members whose car was nominated six or more times before finally winning.  (And I've known members who had lightning strike and their car won the first time it was nominated.)  From speaking with members of the National Awards team, I can confirm that the photos are important.  You don't have to hire a professional photographer (although some people do), but you want high quality photographs with a good background that allow the car to stand out.  Cellphone photos usually won't cut it. 

 

Not that you did this, but a few tips for others:  don't just pull the car out of the garage and photograph it in front of the open garage door.  Don't photograph a white car in front of a white warehouse.  (I'd recommend don't photograph it in front of any warehouse unless it's a neat looking historic building.)  Choose a background that highlights the car.  From seeing many photos at the awards ceremony, I remember many photographs with the vehicle in front of a water background (lake, bay, etc.), others in front of historic buildings, carriage houses, etc.  The main thing is that the background complements the vehicle--it doesn't over power it, cause it to fade into the background, or look too busy.

 

Your cars are gorgeous, Philip.  Keep showing them, and their days will come.  Here's to better luck in 2021!  Congratulations on the two nominations, though--they're truly honors to receive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, Mark. It most definitely was an honor to be nominated. Will keep trying as attending AACA Meets has become an important and wonderful part of my life. I wouldn't trade the experiences and friends I have made for anything. Looking forward to seeing you and Marion next year. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and enjoy a healthy and Happy New Year!

Edited by philip roitman (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/25/2020 at 1:43 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

Hello Ed,

 

I posted this response Wednesday on your same question under "Shows and Tours" and I'm re-posting it here to ensure you saw it.

 

I don't know, but based on comments posted elsewhere on the Forum, I believe notification letters have been mailed out by AACA HQ.  If your vehicle was nominated for a National Award, you should receive a letter any day now.  If you haven't already received your letter, you can call AACA HQ to confirm this--I doubt that they'll tell you whenever your vehicle won or not, but they can confirm that the notification letters have gone out.

 

Good luck!  Let us know the results.  Be safe, stay healthy, and have a Happy New Year!

Mark, got my letter yesterday. Unfortunately, my car was not selected, but it was an honor to be nominated. I will be in NC for my Senior. 

 

Thank you all for your insight. 

Edited by ed nieves (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Mark McAlpine
9 hours ago, ed nieves said:

Mark, got my letter yesterday. Unfortunately, my car was not selected, but it was an honor to be nominated. I will be in NC for my Senior. 

 

Thank you all for you insight. 

 

I'm sorry to hear it, Ed.  I know you're disappointed (I've been there), but you're correct that it is an honor to be nominated.  Better luck in 2021.  I look forward to seeing you & your car in Concord this April.  Until then, be safe & stay healthy.  Have a Happy New Year!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...