For Sale: RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet, possibly by Glaser - $95,000 - Bradenton, FL - Not Mine

For Sale: RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet, possibly by Glaser - $95,000 - Bradenton, FL

RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

This is a very rare 1936 Chevy Cabriolet 4 DOOR that belonged to U.S. Ambassador William E. Dodd . Restored with recent rebuilt numbers matching motor. Complete with radio, another set of wheels and misc. parts and manuals.

Copy and paste in your email:  9fcd152f8d2f3f46aa2e0f79616982a9@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet.  Note: Seller does not name the European coachbuilder.  This style of four door convertible sedan on stretched American make chassis was built by Glaser, Norrmalm and Worblaufen among others,

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL aa.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL a.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL b.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL c.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL d.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL e.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL f.jpg

'36 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet FL g.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
Added 'possibly by Glaser' as the coachbuilder (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet by Glaser - $95,000 - Bradenton, FL - Not Mine
28 minutes ago, Ben P. said:

Somehow this ad actually does greater disservice.  Good grief.

Indeed, the car is rare and interesting, with a custom European body but the seller doesn't bother to present it properly.  Simply driving it to a scenic location with good sunlight, showing it from all angles, the interior and all the details.  All that takes some additional thought and planning.  But, at the nearly $100K asking price, seems as if that wouldn't be much effort for the results sought. 

The reason he doesn’t list the coach work is because he doesn’t know.  There were lots of tiny builders and the plates get lost or tossed over the years.  Inevitably stuff gets attributed to Glaser or Graber because the name is recognizable when it was originally something obscure.

That shiny naugahyde interior doesn't help either.   Most interesting feature this convertible sedan has is how they engineered the door windows to meet without the need for removable B-pillars as was common on American convertible sedans.

This may be the world's only Chevrolet that might be of interest to the CCCA Classification Committee, assuming one could document a provenance. I think it is quite an attractive car but does it command a 100% premium over a factory bodied Chevy? I guess that's a question for someone with much deeper pockets that my own. I agree with Ben. If you want 100K for a car, the car damn well better be presented like it's worth the money. 

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: RARE 1936 CHEVY 4 DOOR Cabriolet, possibly by Glaser - $95,000 - Bradenton, FL - Not Mine