Beware of inner tubes from China

Buick35

I bought two new 650:16 bias tires for my Buick but the company was out of tubes so I went ahead and ordered them online from Walmart.The Goodyear dealer that mounted them said the tubes came from China and that the valve stems weren't quite offset enough to fit my wheels properly.They went ahead to install them anyway and they are holding air and look o.k. He said if I got the correct tubes he'd redo them.I don't know if I should drive on them or not,like I say,they're holding air.Greg

• Thanks 1

I would not drive on them. Even the tubes one can order from the antique car tire suppliers now seem to loose air. I need to order new tires and tubes 700 x 20 for my Packard as the ones on the car are 40 years old - not cracked and don't look dry but I don't trust driving for some hours at 50mph+ and then have a flat and have to try and change that at the side of the road.There was a saying "you get what you pay for" well perhaps not so much anymore.

• Like 1

Nearly three years ago I bought and installed new 7.00 x 17 tires with metal-stem inner tubes my Packard.  The tubes were Firestone label, made in China.  Two plus years of driving, no problems whatsoever, tubes lose about 2-3 psi during winter storage (about 4 months).   Tubes and tires (Bedford Famous Coach) from Kelsey Tire.

I hope tubes are better now, but I've had the same issue as mentioned above. Tubes I bought from a big name in the old car business steadily lose air.

Offset stem might be a different story however as I would be afraid if the stem was rubbing against the wheel with pressure it might sever. I'd discuss them with the installer as only he really knows how it looked when he installed them.

From a mfg standpoint there is no reason China cannot produce as good quality tube as any source.  I just replaced tubes in all 5 tires on my 31 Buick project car.  I bought mine from Coker tire.  Like everyone else I was disappointed to see the "Made in China" label cast on the tubes but I will say they were extremely heavy with good valves.  I inflated them all to 35lbs in November when I installed them and the car is still on jack stands but I will check the tire pressures in a couple of months to see if they leak down.  By the way some leakage is typical of tubes I have owned over the years including German Metzeler and Continental tires.  The ones I owned in the lat 60's that never seemed to leak were Japanese Nippon tubes that were original equipment on 2 stroke Yamaha motorcycles of the day.

• Like 1

This problem of crappy tubes is not new in this hobby and not getting any better.   I found that "Radail Tubes" are good for

antique cars.   I don't know what makes it a "radial tire tube", or of it's just advertising BS, but somehow they last better.   

American made, I think.    Any tire & tube expert guys out there?

Well it is,what it is.

I don't sweat a tire loosing a few pounds here there.

With these  crummy old ( and good old cars too) you were told and expected  to do things like check your oil,check your battery ,check your water every week at least...and that goes for your tubed tire's pressure.

Why do you suppose that was?

Cuz shxt leaks,drips and burns away. Some times more then other times.👹

• Like 1

Usually written 6.50 is the size of the inner wall in inches. Ever since the P-Metrics from GM the size is measured in mm. 25.4 mm = 1 inch. 6:50"=165mm.

Balloon tires are round so the profile is 100% Low profile started at 90 (%) Early radials were 80, then but 1970 muscle cars got 70s and later 60s. This century we got eraser tires with profiles clear down to 25s. I have not seen a 15. Yet. Racing tires are different.

Construction (B, R, S) is in front of the diameter. Big 60s and 70s on 14 or 15 are still available from BFG (have 235x60R15 and 255x70R15 on my Judge.

If rong am sure will be corrected.

Quality is quite high on most Chinese made products. If extra costs are required to make a product equal to an American made product the Chinese government will subsidize the difference. I guess they found it is cheaper to wage an economic war that to build tanks and send their children around the world in them.

I have been much more free about Pacific rim goods since November and the stuff is pretty good.

I bought a set of 525x21 tyres and tubes for my 1926 Nash, from Coker some years ago and requested that they fit 90 degree stems to the tubes, as the valve stem has to come out the rim and go at right angles thru the disc wheel centre. They did not have the right angle stems in stock, so shipped what they had. I tried to get the valve stems changed locally, but was told, we cannot do it, as these tubes are very thin and made somewhere in eastern europe. 

I decided to fit them as is, one blew around the seam at 5psi before it even got mounted!! I have fitted the other 4, just so I can roll it around, but will never drive the car with these lousy tubes. Can anyone advise where you can buy decent 525x21 tubes with a right angle stem to fit these Nash cars, all I can find are cheap 450x21 Model A tubes, fine for a light Ford but the Nash is heavy.

ANOTHER WORD OF WARNING TO DO WITH CHINESE GOODS, CHECK YOUR VALVE STEMS REGULARLY, ESPECIALLY ON TUBELESS VALVES, THEY PERISH BADLY AFTER JUST A FEW MONTHS. WE WERE TRAVELLING AT 60MPH, TOWING A HEAVY TRAILER, WHEN A REAR TIRE VALVE ON THE TOW CAR BLEW TOTALLY OFF THE RIM. LUCKILY THE TRAILER KEPT THE VEHICLE SAFELY ALIGNED. ON INSPECTION THE OTHER 3 TUBELESS VALVES WERE ALSO BADLY PERISHED AND ABOUT TO ALSO BLOW. THE NEW TIRES AND STEMS HAD BEEN ON THE CAR ONLY 2 MONTHS!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, $um Fun said:

I will never by a Chinese product.

I bought a 4000 lb Waren winch for my open trailer and after being used about 10 times the thin cast aluminum housing that hold the gears cracked making it useless. I can still buy the same Waren winch for $450. but I can not buy a new part for it and now junk. So I bought a cheap Chinese for $160. seeing my Waren was made in China also.

17 minutes ago, c49er said:

Chinese are trying to do us in one way or another it seems.

Chinese junk.

We've done it to ourselves. The Chinese are certainly capable of building good quality stuff, it's just that nobody is willing to pay for it. There's certainly an opportunity here for an entrepreneur to manufacture high-quality innertubes for old cars. However, do you think will anyone buy them if they're 30-50% more expensive than what's available now? Unlikely. 

Cheap is all that matters anymore. Quality? Pffft. Nobody even asks about anything other than the "deal."

• Like 7

The problem is that the majority of all vehicles on the road today use tubeless tires. We are part of such a small market that the companies who make tubes don’t want to invest anything in r&d. The design and engineering worked years ago so it will work today. They just make it as cheap as possible. So they hire China to make them. I would bet that that purchaser for the company doesn’t have an antique vehicle. I just hope that soon rather than later, that some company realizes that good quality tubes are needed. 

19 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I bought a 4000 lb Waren winch for my open trailer and after being used about 10 times the thin cast aluminum housing that hold the gears cracked making it useless. I can still buy the same Waren winch for $450. but I can not buy a new part for it and now junk. So I bought a cheap Chinese for $160. seeing my Waren was made in China also.

I wonder if that Waren winch is the Asian knock off of a Warn winch.

The Warn website brags an American Pride, how ever I did not see any made in America claims. (however I did not read the whole website).

I always figured that they were made here in Oregon and i have known employees that worked there.

Warn stuff is expensive and I cant say that I have ever had one, there are no employees that will make a brother-in-law deal as they tell me that it is not allowed.

I bought a 12,000 lb. job from HF a couple of years ago and it is doing its job for far less money.

• Like 1

From c49er: "I always pay more to buy good quality....never buy cheap import stuff. Waste of time."

I'd like to purchase an American-made inner tube but can't find one. If you can find a source for 32x4, please let me know.

Ben P:  I've sent an email to Blockley and will share their reply. They make an 815x105 metric inner tube, which is close to 32x4 (812.8 x 101.6). We'll see what they say.  

• Like 2

I had to change out the new rubbish Chinese tubes on my Lincoln-Zephyr here in the UK.

I found heavy duty 700 x 16 Michelin tubes at North Hants Tyres also here in UK  Excellent quality.

They have many other sizes available. Google North Hants Tyres for their web site. They will ship worldwide.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, c49er said:

No one makes much here in America anymore.

I went to the John Deere dealer for a smaller Stihl chain saw ( I am getting old & my big Stihl is getting heavy) and came home empty handed. Stihls line of smaller saws like the MS 180 c-BE that I wanted are made in China. My Honda generator is also made in China I found out after buying it. 

After GM pulled its car and truck plants out of Oshawa GM took a real pounding from the public. The dealer I dealt with had sales drop by 35% and the union even ran adds against GM sales in a Super Bowl add last year. My oldest son went from Cadillac to a Volvo and the other now drives a Mazda from a GM and I will follow suit. 

GM is now saying they are going to assemble pickups in Oshawa sometime starting 2022-23 with a workforce of 1,400. All that is is a token for advertising GM in Canada  

So your statement may be correct to a point.