Advice on painting and installing fender welting

I have the first couple coats painted and my plan is to bolt my fenders on with the welting, spray flexible primer on the welting that shows, (I’m hoping they sell the primer in a can) then spray my final coats. I also need to install the rubber bumpers that hold the skirts. I got some new ones from Boos Herrel and they come with aluminum solid flush rivets. Do I need to buy a special tool? Thank you for your advice!

DE5325E6-6E24-461E-81F6-3422A14D9D11.jpeg

49A8DC56-0541-4A78-B57C-0434E6B6B3A3.jpeg

I would paint the fenders off the car and install the welting when bolting on the fenders. You can cut slots in the welting where the fender bolts are and slide on. I do not think you can get the paint to cover good around the welting to fender attachment area.

• Like 1

I have never seen flexible primer used on welt - we usually get the same color welt as paint color and then add a flex agent to the final paint itself.  Recently, I have just be getting same color welt custom made and just not painting. 

These people will make custom welt too:

https://www.julianos.com/Custom-Fender-Welt-p/ju010000.htm

https://www.yogisinc.com/YJU010001?gclid=CjwKCAiAz4b_BRBbEiwA5XlVVg1M6ZgpfLvsW7-6IFkOOh9r11NXcMpegrVb-7e-0IfPuCi1EtPnYRoC_YwQAvD_BwE

Sidenote:  Prefit all the welting prior to painting - you do not want to manhandle your new paint. 

Fit all the fender welting with holes or slots and mark each piece as to their location . Then remove the welting and paint it off the car.  Same with fenders.  Done it like this more than once. Have never added any flex agent to my paint. Never an issue in the last 25 years. 

Edited by Ken/Alabama (see edit history)

I agree with Ken/Alabama and would like to add another tip. Staple a piece of welting, that is long enough to extend beyond the fender mounting, near each slot. Then mount your fenders and use the extra welting to pull the welting in place. One the fenders are tight enough to hold the welting in place, tear off the stapled pieces using a pair of pliers.

• Thanks 1