Rebuilding nailhead engine , Buick century 1955

11 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

I have been viewing all of your pictures on Facebook.  Please keep them coming.

and many here don't  "do" facebook, so yes please keep them coming?

• Like 1

Nailhead 322 cu overhaul
Buick century 1955

Nail just got broken 😳

Advice I got

Makes sure they break that motor down and clean all them pistons and ring from all the trash 🗑 they just put in it... that motor won’t last a week.. with the junk in it.. 

the problem being shavings getting in behind ring lands and locking rings up.. just friendly advice.. I’ve seen it happen.. you will know cause it won’t stop smoking.. 

is that correct? Can I clean them without disassembling the piston and rings again ? 

26675208-FACA-4932-AA2B-5A2ADBF547DF.jpeg

Those shavings are nasty and will kill a engine quickly if not removed.   It would be best to remove the pistons for cleaning.    

As a side note, I reassembled mine after honing each cylinder.  However, I failed to clean up each piston of gritty metal from honing.  Instead of pulling the pistons to clean(I was doing a in frame minor refresh) I squirted oil into each and slowly rotated each piston on the crank to top dead center.  In doing so it would leave a ring of gritty oil that I would wipe clean.  I did this on all 8 until the oil ring left behind was no longer gritty.   It worked out for me.      

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Selim said:

Mechanic suggested rotating cylinders in order for them to go up and clean them then rotate them down again. Without physically removing the pistons . Would that work? 

Not recommended but that method worked for me. I did squirt some oil in each as it helps keep the shavings at the top of the cylinder when the piston starts to move downward. .  Just keep cleaning and cleaning.  Once done, clean again.  

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

That's a tough repair on the exhaust manifold flange....if repairable at all. I have see cracks in cast iron repaired but not a broken flange tabs. Requires a mig welder I believe. Build up material that will be filed into shape. Then tap a new threaded hole for the stud.

People on the forum generally say to install the manifolds without gaskets (as original).  Some blame them for manifold cracking later.  Others say the copper gaskets are OK, however.

• Like 1

My Riviera isn't a Nailhead (it's a 430), but from what I've read on the forum as recommended to others, if it were mine I'd check the manifold mounting surface for straightness and use a flat file, or have them shaved to true them up.  Then install without gaskets, using the original bolts and locking hardware.

• Like 1

Indeed
My mechanic said that is true when u have new or good condition manifold but due to condition and old age there will be leakage if he puts them iron on iron and that is y he is using the gaskets that came with rebuild kit

If you have to use gaskets, do it.  I had some that previously had gaskets and formed rust pits under the gasket, so I had no choice.  After 50,000 miles the flanges started crumbling due to overheating.  Metal to metal forms a heat sink.  On manifolds that look good and are straight before or after planing at the machine shop, I use a thin layer of high temperature RTV.  If in doubt, assemble with the RTV and check later and if good, clean and reassemble with some RTV.

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, Selim said:

Experts in nailhead tell me manifold will crack

my mechanic tells me surface is not straight and I need to use gaskets or else there will be leakage

what do u suggest?

what is RYV?

RTV https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/sealant/permatex-ultra-black-rtv-adhesive-0-5oz/415412_0_0?spps.s=1875&cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:71700000059635966&gclid=CjwKCAiA25v_BRBNEiwAZb4-ZVqpCu49NoedrwF7-Gg3UHFxr0rKQ0m2yQCmwV7EmBXyyU7D1GdvbBoCrfMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Thanks 1

Selim,

Are looking for an answer that matches what your hack mechanic tells you ?  You have asked the question on the Nailhead Facebook page and gotten the same answers. 
I know you are in Egypt, but I believe I would look for someone who actually has an engine stand and knows what they are doing.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)