1931 Coupe Windshield Raising Mechanism Info Needed

Bill - 29 Buick

I believe Bob's Automobilia sells reproduction parts for the windshield mechanism, including the gears. I bought a set several years ago for my 1929 Cadillac, which uses the same mechanism. They're rough bronze castings so they need some hand finishing, but they worked just fine.

Hi Bill,

I installed one this year in my 29-27.  I had the wood backer board but nothing else.  Tony Bult had a complete rebuilt mechanism that he sold me - Tony has a contact in California(?) that builds them up as needed.  I am pretty sure that 1931 is similar to 1929 as far as this mechanism goes ... as Tinindian posted, this mechanism is described in the 1926-32 Fisher Body Service Manual.  I also believe that at least some of the parts are common to Chevrolet.

I took a lot of pictures as I went along, so if they would help, I could email them to you.

John

I don't know if this will help or not but here is a link to my 31 Buick 8-66S coupe restoration thread.  If you go to page 1 and scroll down to my January 24, 2019 posting you will find descriptions and pictures of my struggles with the windshield, regulator and the windshield frame which has the lift brackets that engage the pins on the regulator gears.  This car had no windshield or frame.  I found a source for the glass, fabricated the frame, restored the wood regulator board, installed seals, glass, regulator and it works really nicely, very smooth.

Dave...