41 Fleetwood Radiator

40mopar

My '41 Fleetwood has the thermostat linkage disconnected and the radiator louvers are stuck.  I actually doubt that it even has a thermostat installed.  It's no problem in summer, but this time if year, the engine doesn't get above 140 degrees.

Could I install in-line thermostats in the coolant hoses like in the old Ford v-8s?

Thanks

That may very well be a decent, less-than-obvious for show, and affordable solution for a serious driver-quality.

Actually, I've had the same thought for my '41 Series 62 convertible.

We rarely need heat here in New Orleans, but do tour in all areas of the country (and Canada).

A bit of warmth on a cool morning, or maybe the improvement in windshield defogging would be welcome, so please let me know how it works out for you.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

You are fine with the thermostat disconnected from the shutters - just make sure the shutters are blocked open (you would be surprised that wind while driving can close them).  

As the the shutter thermostat itself in the radiator - it does not need to work, but it must be installed in the radiator as it is also a flow restrictor and if not in there the car will do crazy overheating stuff at certain speeds and if you get stuck in even the slightest bit of traffic.  I have seen a few people that thought they could remove and blank out with a flat metal plate - their cars fell flat on their face.

If I were to do anything, perhaps it would be putting the shutters on a cable control so that you could hand operate from the dash.  My car had such when I bought it (a 17K mile car too) and I removed on day after purchase and ran car for another 81K miles or so.  In Ohio there was enough heat to run the deluxe heaters/defrosts both on firewall and under seats too - successfully. 

Sidenote:  A coiled hose wire is needed in the lower radiator hose to prevent collapse under power (sounds like not an issue on your car though).