For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey sedan - - $1,500 - Elmira, OR - Project - Not Mine

For Sale: 1961 Mercury Monterey sedan -  - $1,500 - Elmira, OR - Project 

61 mercury - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

Pretty solid old car, ran when parked, interior is in extremely good shape the carpet is the only bad part ,there are some dents and dings on the car.  There are some small rust pockets on the driver's side door.  $1,500. obo

Copy and paste in your email:  40f642ec78473ec3b7a4a29fb23dcf22@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1961 Mercury Monterey sedan - Project. 

Note: Buying this '61 Mercury might save it from becoming a demo car by the looks of what's setting in the background.  

'61 Mercury Monterey OR a.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR b.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR c.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR d.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR e.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR f.jpg

'61 Mercury Monterey OR g.jpg

Dang.  The front bumper is wanged in the same place my '61's is (and a few other places, as well.)

I don't think Laughing Coyote needs a parts car, but hopefully he'll be along before too long to verify that.

I'd still like the intact Mercury scripts from the hood and trunk, but not enough to buy a whole car.

Interesting...I think it has a different fan shroud than my car.  I'll look next time I'm at my storage place. (I replaced the original with aftermarket so I wouldn't need to mod the original to the alum. radiator.)

• Like 1

Also interesting is the fender mounted mirror.  Mine didn't have any. I just googled '61 Mercury and saw a variety of mirrors mounted in a variety of places. But this slightly modded Monterey looks like it might have the same type of mirror.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/692759/1961-mercury-monterey-for-sale-in-toronto-ontario-l3p-1a1

Could exterior mirrors have been a dealer add-on for these cars, and therefore, not entirely consistent?

19 minutes ago, JamesR said:

Also interesting is the fender mounted mirror.  Mine didn't have any. I just googled '61 Mercury and saw a variety of mirrors mounted in a variety of places. But this slightly modded Monterey looks like it might have the same type of mirror.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/692759/1961-mercury-monterey-for-sale-in-toronto-ontario-l3p-1a1

Could exterior mirrors have been a dealer add-on for these cars, and therefore, not entirely consistent?

During that era, even factory-supplied mirrors were typically shipped not-installed,

and it was up to the delivering dealer to install the mirror(s).

Some dealers gave the customer his choice as to location, and some just placed it wherever they chose.

Special order cars, as opposed to those ordered for dealer stock, may have given the customer more options as to location, such as door VS fender.

The same was sometimes true for antenna location.

When my father ordered his 1957 Plymouth, he specified the mirrors on the rear edge of the front fenders, and the single antenna just behind the driver-side edge of the rear windshield, and ahead of the fin.

• Like 1

I'm here.  I'm good on parts. I actually went through some of my parts and found out I have like 9 fender sites and enough tail light bezels for 3 cars. The Mercury script and fender sites are really hard to find.  The fan shroud is original, same as mine.  It's weird that a it doesn't have power brakes since the Monterey was the higher end car.  The mirrors were mounted by the dealerships.  Mine were on the front fenders farther up a bit.  It shows them as an option in the options brochure. You can see them on my first page of the restore thread.  My antenna was also a dealer add on since the hole looks kind of jagged where they cut it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Laughing Coyote said:

The fan shroud is original, same as mine.

Yeah, I think my shroud is the same, too. I'm getting it mixed up in my mind with shrouds from other cars. I haven't seen my original one in a while. 

It's weird that a it doesn't have power brakes since the Monterey was the higher end car.

That's what I was thinking. OTOH, that's the second '61 I've seen lately with a wiper washer bag...and in the same location as the other one. Mine didn't have one.

1 hour ago, JamesR said:

that's the second '61 I've seen lately with a wiper washer bag...and in the same location as the other one. Mine didn't have one.

Mine didn't come with a wiper washer bag. I just looked at the accessories book and it's an option. The mirror on the fender of this Monterey is the optional remote control mirror. If you look at the second to the last photo of the dash you can see the mirror control just below and to the left of the ignition switch.

• Thanks 1