1956 Chevrolet 4 dr HT. Bel Air - Craigslist find I'd like some feedback on

Peter Gariepy

Here is a project that looks like something I'd enjoying fixing up.

https://tucson.craigslist.org/cto/d/safford-1956-chevrolet-bel-air/7248373194.html

Some additional owner comments not in the ad:
"...no rust on this car. The rear fenders had the lip removed at some point to put bigger wheels and tires. The car is a factory powerglide tranny. The engine would have been a small block 265. Floors and trunk are immaculate."

NADA and HAGERTY values it at $8500 but thats if it's a driver. $6500 isn't unreasonable, but considering overall condition, lack of an engine, needing a windshield, and remote location (2 hrs from Tucson, 3 from Phoenix, and 5 Albq. I dont think he's gonna get a lot of nibbles). (Could be wrong) I hope the guy has some wiggle room.

"#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non-stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle."

Before I make the haul out there I want to be prepared. What do you think guys? :)

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Peter

PS:  The keep on truck'n gas pedal isnt a rare factory accessory, is it? (j/k)

00I0I_5hkSodzKXAT_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

00b0b_cyEXlbEeHSK_0CI0iP_1200x900.jpg

Driver’s door and front fender lower look suspect, like the rust is ready to poke through. Even at $3000, you’ll probably have $8-10 into it to make it roadworthy & something your wife wouldn’t be afraid to ride in. I think you can find a nice driver in the $10-12 range and maybe a real bargain in the $8000 range. I’d pass & look for a driver.

• Thanks 1

Tri Fives come in a lot of flavors.  Personally looks like a big project bit I think the 4 door ht (56, 57 only) is pretty cool in Bel Aire trim.  I remember Danchuck had nearly everything when I restored my 56, good quality stuff US made.  I will say a strong  #2 (near as I can tell) has been avail in CT for 30k for a few months.

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On the PLUS side, Arizona is famous for having very little trouble with deep, penetrated rust. The not-so-plus side is that window glass, all soft-trim items, lenses, rubber, etc, are typically shot. It's all available for a 56 Chevy, but not cheap. Even stock used seats are pricey these days. 

Those radiused rear wheel wells may prove to be a challenge, as well. It's not easy to weld in pieces on big, flat quarter panels and still keep them flat. But you'll also have outer wheel well damage. The best way to fix outer wells is to remove the quarter panel first. Substantial project, I think. I would certainly want to see it in person, before putting a dime down on it. 

These 4-door hardtop shoebox Chevy's are cool looking. I owned one many years ago myself. Yet some day you might get tired of folks saying things like, "Nice car! Too bad it's not a 2 door."  I certainly did. And there is no escaping the fact that it is much easier to sell a 2 door, when that time comes. But it costs about the same to restore a 2 door or a 4 door. 

It will take a lot of time, and a good bit of money to bring this one back. But this isn't your first rodeo, so you're going in with your eyes wide open. Good luck, and let us know what you decide. 🙂 

Happy holidays, by the way! 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Look at it this way. Cadillac/Buick/Olds high style on a Chevrolet budget, and there is little that can't be had for a Tri-Five. Next to a Mustang or Model A, probably the easiest car in the world to restore. Put it back original, don't dyke it out with every accessory known in the Tri-Five world, and you will have a stylish car that can be driven anywhere and won't be "just another Tri-Five". Look at that C pillar and quarter panel and tell me a Sport Sedan ain't sexy!

I used to dismiss four-doors but any more 4D hardtops have really become attractive in my eyes. Especially 60s GM, Ford and Mopar. Elegant.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Driver’s door and front fender lower look suspect, like the rust is ready to poke through. Even at $3000, you’ll probably have $8-10 into it to make it roadworthy & something your wife wouldn’t be afraid to ride in. I think you can find a nice driver in the $10-12 range and maybe a real bargain in the $8000 range. I’d pass & look for a driver.

As George said that car could consume 8-10K just to drive and it would still look the same plus the time.... The sport sedans (four door hard-tops) are great looking cars, It looks like the radiator support was cut also. I would look at as a great parts car.

12 hours ago, padgett said:

Looks like the automatic is still in place. Hope is a powerglide.

The Powerglide was the only automatic transmission offered in passenger cars in 1956. from the picture it looks to be the original cast iron powerglide, What is the point you are trying to make?

11 hours ago, padgett said:

Personal preference. Back in the day a 4-door cost more than  2-door.

The because the cost of production is more,

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

I used to dismiss four-doors but any more 4D hardtops have really become attractive in my eyes. Especially 60s GM, Ford and Mopar. Elegant.

I agree 100% 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The car is definitely good enough to save given the rust-free body. Assuming there is really no rot thru on the body, floors, or frame. It appears to be very straight and 99% complete as well. If you buy it and restore it yourself it could be a fun project and you'll know what you have when you're finished.

On the down side the car is a #5 condition so it's a little overpriced. You could easily spend $20k or more and a lot of time on this car to make it nice by the time you figure in paint and interior work, not to mention an engine. Figure it'll also need gas tank work, brakes, wheel bearings, ball joints, transmission work, shocks, exhaust, heater motor, radiator work etc. etc. etc.

I used to be attracted to cars in this condition thinking "I can buy it cheap, fix it up and save it". After 5 years, lot's of time and money and they usually aren't finished yet, I think to myself, "I should've spent the money on a better car".

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Interesting little details that I'm sure you've already noticed: 

• The steering wheel isn't 1956
  • There is a piece of angle iron welded between the INNER wheel wells in the trunk area. Not stock, obviously, and I'm not sure why it was put there. Note the pieces of 2x4 wood underneath it. Are these clues to something which was mounted there in the past? Or are there other modifications which may have required strengthening the body rigidity back there? 
  • There seems to be some sort of "access hole" in the transmission tunnel, under the dash area. I don't recall there being an access panel on the 56 Chevy's I once owned, but I confess it has been a LONG time since then. If it is a hole cut by hand...why? 
  • The radiator core-support being cut is super common on shoebox Chevy's, as it makes it much easier to remove the engine, without having to hoist it up quite so high. But that support was intended to lend strength to the structural integrity of the front body panels. 

Fascinating potential project. Please keep us updated. Would love to find out how this will turn out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

" Powerglide was the only automatic transmission offered" yes and in an unknown car 64 years later ? I cant tell if a powerglide or a turboglide or ...

Well I can tell,  and it is an original cast iron powerglide, but the adaptor ring is missing

2 hours ago, padgett said:

I cant tell if a powerglide or a turboglide or ...

Then why do you even offer any comment if you don't know? 

It is a solid car and complete......... but could be an very expensive venture

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I don't really believe for a minute that you needed our advice about buying the car. It appears to have captured your attention so, by all means get it. like others have said, the parts are readily available and besides, the car does seem to be in pretty good shape.  I do believe the gasser footprint pedal is a really rare option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing that is not done is the dome light.. The sad thing is it has been on blocks for 8 years..

I think it  has new floors.. I will have to look if it has 24k or 42k on it..

The young fellow is now 22..  and a diesel mechanic.. He has asked about it.. But I own it for now..

If you're up for what looks like a very involved project, buy it.  I think four-door hardtops (sport sedan in Chevy-speak) are stylish.  I've owned three, 1967 Sedan DeVille (daily driver during college in the early '80s), a 1961 Bel Air and a 1965 Impala (owned between 2011 and 2018).  My favorite thing about this body style is driving with all the windows rolled down and the ventipanes (Chevy-speak for vent windows) open.   It took a little while to sell them when I wanted something else, but they all sold.  

I've never owned a "Tri-Five" Chevy, but the I like the 1956 styling the best of the three years.  The sport sedan body style looked great on all the GM cars of this era.  

Whatever you decide, good luck.   

• Like 1

While I agree with George that is only applicable if one is "looking for a nice old car that represents a good value and good start".  If you want a tri-five the Buick is irrelavent, what's your position, Peter?  That makes a big difference.

• Like 1

Pro:  Incredibly easy to get everything

Con: Needs almost everything

When you are done, you have a very common car, and an easy one to sell at whatever the market price is.

So to me this car's attractive as a reason to do the restoration work if you enjoy the process, and sell when you are done.

On 12/19/2020 at 12:14 PM, padgett said:

" Powerglide was the only automatic transmission offered" yes and in an unknown car 64 years later ? I cant tell if a powerglide or a turboglide or ...

TurboGlide doesn't happen until 1957,

Back to the car. At the time 1955 & 1956, 4 dr. hardtops came out for GM, I'm pretty sure the idea was market a late 20's to middle aged man who still thought of himself as young and full of testosterone, but saddled with three kids and a wife that wanted a car with some spice and practicality at the same time. These cars are a compromise between style and utility. When I see one of those cars fixed up today I think of the above statement and in todays world a car that will never bring the desired looks and acclaim and money down the road in the future. People are buying them because they are cheaper in the short run, but finished not as satisfying and cost just the same or more to do, and eventually less return in the end. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

TurboGlide doesn't happen until 1957,

Back to the car. At the time 1955 & 1956, 4 dr. hardtops came out for GM, I'm pretty sure the idea was market a late 20's to middle aged man who still thought of himself as young and full of testosterone, but saddled with three kids and a wife that wanted a car with some spice and practicality at the same time. These cars are a compromise between style and utility. When I see one of those cars fixed up today I think of the above statement and in todays world a car that will never bring the desired looks and acclaim and money down the road in the future. People are buying them because they are cheaper in the short run, but finished not as satisfying and cost just the same or more to do, and eventually less return in the end.

Forget it Peter.