i need help - 1955 gullwing 300sl

On 12/18/2020 at 12:55 PM, gossp said:

This has to be someone we know messing with us. 

That's a likely scenario.

Less likely is, "Hmm...we've inherited a multi-million dollar car...What to do? Oh, I know! I'll get on an internet forum and ask some complete strangers (in a vague and indirect way)!"

Edited by JamesR (see edit history)
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, edinmass said:

Bob, it's in the shop, and it's getting attention.........

Took 49 years to get my first T Head MERCER ride, I've been promised a ride in the Schumacher Special, and turn 70 on Wednesday, do the math. Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t blame me........Dean fell off the face of the earth. Seems to me I fixed the smoke show on the NYASC in only a few days when it had my attention. I need a brake from fixing the impossible.........too much pressure for the holidays .......Family and friends coming into town for the week........... Celebrity guest for lunch tomorrow ...........we are a wide open state here.......unlike the libritards up north or out wast. The moon bats have a bad moon rising.............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 6
6 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Someone would have to literally be living under a rock to not know what a MB Gullwing is! Especially if it has been in there family for 60+ years and in mint condition. 

Nah, I was with a non car guy the first time he saw one... called it a back to the future car. 

If the car is as you describe, it would probably be a good candidate for an auction.  I would try one of Bonhams, gooding and company, or rm Sotheby’s in no particular order.  

if you want it sold now, I would sell  it to a dealer.   The internet is your friend.  Search around.  There are many who would be interested.  

a car like that has a wide value range and will depend on many factors as to its price 

On 12/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, alsancle said:
On 12/19/2020 at 10:04 AM, alsancle said:

Come on Dave!  You have been around long enough to know the chances of that are about 1 in 1000.  

How many  have heard the story of the Duesenberg in the barn that nobody knows about and how many times is it a Buick?   EVERY SINGLE TIME  except for the one time it ended up being this:

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

How many  have heard the story of the Duesenberg in the barn that nobody knows about and how many times is it a Buick?   EVERY SINGLE TIME  except for the one time it ended up being this:

July 18 Thumb Drive 2 539.jpg

Come on Dave!  You have been around long enough to know the chances of that are about 1 in 1000. 

That's a lot better chance then winning $343,000,000 in the     

Mega Millions Lottery,

4 minutes ago, 3macboys said:

Sitting on my butt watching a marathon of Chasing Classic Cars and guess what's on - a 55 Gullwing pulled out of a garage that's being parked since 69 that was supposedly previously unknown....

It is about time someone brought that up, that building didn't look like it would hide a car of any value. It was also odd that Wayne never mentioned the owner. Bob 

OK was localish then, red one was in Calif. Don't remember every episode but if on this afternoon will repeat tonight.

5 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

that building didn't look like it would hide a car of any value.

Is that not the joy of this hobby?  You just never know what is tucked away where and who has what...let the treasure search continue!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 3macboys said:

Is that not the joy of this hobby?  You just never know what is tucked away where and who has what...let the treasure search continue!

That is so true, unlike most of Wayne's finds there was Zero back story to go with the car, did Gull Wings ever fall to old Chevy prices? 

Bob 

2 hours ago, Morgansdad said:

Send me a $10000.00 deposit and I'll drive to Charlotte and secure the car for you.

Sure. I will as soon as I get the refund coming to me from my Nigerian Prince buddy! Will you take a post dated cheque?

I know it's rare but funny things do turn up sometimes. A few years ago a local collector, actually 2 brothers, tried to sell a pair of WW1 era Indian motocycles on Ebay and they refused the listing as the bikes were unknown to the collector world, appeared on no lists, and the owners likewise were unknown in collector circles. But the bikes were completely legit,  I saw them , I believe they had been in the family since the 1940s. The brothers' father or grandfather started a junkyard in the 1920s  that continued in the family until just a few years ago and that is where I think they came from.

Have seen other cars and motorcycles that are extremely rare, and that many might say can't exist, in the hands of local collectors who have a habit of keeping to themselves.

On 12/19/2020 at 2:47 PM, JV Puleo said:

A few months ago a police sergeant stopped me coming out of my shop. Why?...because he'd driven by many times and never seen anyone but he admitted he had been working the late shift so it was just a coincidence he'd never come by until after I'd left. We got talking and he told me he knew of two Ferarris stored in an old factory building in town (there are a lot of old factory buildings - it's an old mill town) ...he would not say where they were as he regarded that as the owner's prerogative and didn't feel it was proper to disclose since he'd seen them in the course of his duty. I respect that and have no reason to disbelieve him. Some day they will appear and people will wonder where they've been.

Aren’t they part of Laferriere’s collection? He has a collection of cars in a factory down the road from the police station. 

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I know it's rare but funny things do turn up sometimes. A few years ago a local collector, actually 2 brothers, tried to sell a pair of WW1 era Indian motocycles on Ebay and they refused the listing as the bikes were unknown to the collector world, appeared on no lists, and the owners likewise were unknown in collector circles. But the bikes were completely legit,  I saw them , I believe they had been in the family since the 1940s. The brothers' father or grandfather started a junkyard in the 1920s  that continued in the family until just a few years ago and that is where I think they came from.

Have seen other cars and motorcycles that are extremely rare, and that many might say can't exist, in the hands of local collectors who have a habit of keeping to themselves.

I don't think you can list ANYTHING on eBay that has INDIAN in the title, try it your self. It is offensive to Native American's, I may have somehow offended them just now if they use a less offensive identity. Bob 

1 hour ago, Fleetwood Meadow said:

Aren’t they part of Laferriere’s collection? He has a collection of cars in a factory down the road from the police station. 

No...in fact, from what I was told they aren't on the ground floor and the elevator they came in on is no longer working. It seems there is no good way to get them out. If he does have anything in that neighborhood I've never noticed and my shop is about a block from the police station...

I just realized you are probably thinking Smithfield...

That isn't where the shop is.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

My cousins had a rule that they couldn't use banks for car loans. Their mother was in charge of all family finances. Most of the members of that side of the family were into cars, both the males and females. About 1962 a used Gull Wing Mercedes was on the lot at Scutti Pontiac in Rochester, NY. My Aunt said there was no way she was handing over $3,000 for their oldest to buy that car!

He later came home on air force leave with a '54 Eldorado, then a couple years later with a 190 SL.

There was a point in time when there were many more cars than hobbyists.

Prior to Nixon's international financial exploits car collectors were a bit of an eccentric breed.

I too share the skepticism associated with the original post but have to admit that this would be really cool if it was legit.  Like most of you I am always on the lookout for the car that shouldn't have gotten away.  

Where I grew up there was a very ratty looking garage behind what was once a very grand old house.  I used to pass by the place 2-3 times a week and always thought "I just know there's an old car in there...I can almost feel it." 

Finally one day I screwed my courage together and peeked in the dusty window of the garage.  And there it was, an old car; rusty, beaten down and neglected but all there and probably restorable. It was a early 60's Studebaker Lark 4 door!

To be completely honest,  it was difficult to really assess the condition of the Studebaker because someone parked a '35 Packard Super Eight Phaeton in the way thus making it hard to see all of the Studebaker with it in the way. No joke.

I kept track of the Packard until one day when the owner's nephew took an interest in the car.  My understanding is it was hauled off to the east coast...and that was the last time I ever heard of the car.  I would have loved to own it but in reality the restoration would have bankrupted me and really was beyond my skillset at the time. I do hope it found a good home. 

I'm calling b.s. on it but if it's real then the OP can expect relatives knocking on his door that he's never met, looking for their $$. A situation like this is sad because the end result is going to be all about the $$ no matter how broken up the family gets with arguments and lawsuits. That's why I'm glad that my family has no clue about cars, so when I die they'll bequeath my million dollar collection to the junk man, and go about living their lives without interruption. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

There was a point in time when there were many more cars than hobbyists.

That's true even today, that there are more cars than hobbyists/collectors.

For one thing, most collectors own more than one vehicle.   A friend and I joke that owning one antique car is crazy, owning a hundred is crazy, but it seems normal to own 10 or 12....

Second thing, how many cars right this second aren't a permanent part of a collection, but rather are for sale?  Thousands, I'd say right now there are 10,000 collector cars minimum for sale in the United States.  That's only an average of 200 per state, so even that is probably a very low number.

• Like 1

My work takes me to many different places during the coarse of the year, and I work on a lot of historic structures. I always hold out hope that one day in one of the old buildings that is tucked away behind some big old house is an old car waiting for discovery. Alas, to date no luck. There was one job that the owner had passed away, we were doing some spruce up for the realtor. There was a large newer pole barn that I just had to look in. To my astonishment there was a car under cover! I went inside and found a newer Buick Grand National. I like 70's cars but this one was a bit new for me, but I knew they had somewhat of a following. I promptly called the lady we were working for and told her I would buy the car in the barn. NOT FOR SALE.