So how close did the weatherman come on this latest storm in your area?

auburnseeker

So they were forecasting 1-3 inches here.  Woke up to atleast 16 inches on the ground.  There was no other snow on the ground until this storm.  It cuts short my Brush chipping job I was just getting started on.  Atleast I got my Walkways done and roofed a 300 foot shed including new facia and plywood before the storm hit. 

Had a fun day battling the snow and equipment.  There was so much (wasn't expecting that much or we would have cleaned up in the middle of the night) that I decided to get the huge snow blower I bought running.  Of course the battery was dead as was the one from our lawn tractor and neither would take a charge,  so I pulled it over and swore at it for about an hour,  found a mouse chewed through a wire,  fixed that and with a bunch more pulling it started and ran finally.  Fought that up and around the property to do some of the areas we normally shovel.  It really didn't like digging through that much snow and found every rock my son turned up with his minibike.  Finally got that done and plowed with the tractor.  Got down by the road and buried that in the ditch.  Shoveled it out several times before I finally got it up and out.  That's with 4 wheel drive and chains on all 4.  Fortunately thought they were only predicting 1-3 inches,  I got the plow and chains all set on the tractor.  

Now I'm beat.  Still have atleast another hour of plowing tomorrow and then some roof shoveling to clean off the sky lights. 

Can someone remind what good part is there to winter other than a pretty backdrop for Christmas. 

• Like 1

On long island the weather reports were very accurate, still hard to take after the past several years being fairly mild and not much snow.  Has sent me to look at boxes of stuff in the basement and I found things put away for Hershey from several years ago I do not need , so they may wind up here on the forums .

They were calling for a wintry mix here in North Carolina. They said from around 3am Wednesday till around 6pm on Thursday. Missed it by a mile. Was a little cold with some rain but nothing more. Matter of fact, the sun came out for a while today.  The old saying in N.C. if you don't like the weather, wait about 15 mins and it will change.

• Haha 1

Since our locations aren't being listed

currently by our avatars, let us all tell the

state or location so we can understand.

Here in Pennsylvania, the forecasts were 

widely varied.  The station on which I most rely

predicted 14" to 20", though another said 8 to 12;

one news program thought 16 to 24.

We got 11 inches.  That's substantial, but not

really a problem.  If we're to get 20 inches any time,

let it be split into 2 or more snowfalls!

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here in NE Pa. it was hard to tell how much actually fell by the time I got out to start moving it because we had a wintry mix and it kind of tamped the snow down a bit - so I am saying we got around 10"-12". Weather was saying 16"-24" so they were off by a bit.

At 2 AM I started to shovel a path so I could at least get one car out (it was too early to use the snow blower). I was able to get a car out at 3:30 am and went to shovel an office building I have. Returned home around 5 AM (still too early to use the blower) so I kept shoveling.

Around 7 AM I started the blower but it was giving me fits (kept stalling) so I continued shoveling.

By 8 AM(and 6 hours of shoveling) I was beat. AND I still didn't do the front walk, the back patio or the rest of the driveway. So I went in the house and went to sleep. Tomorrow (and the weekend) will be more shoveling time.

Did I say "I am getting too old for this crap"?

• Like 1

York PA... 12 in. maybe.. forecast was for 6-10.... or 16-24.. depends on station you rely on... Auburnseeker... like you, I was plagued with the snow gremlins. Prepped before the storm, wheelhorse and blower was filled and ready. Pickup and plow facing the road. 4x4 tractor ready to work. Then it happened........ snow..!!.... well, pickup battery went dead with plow hooked up, wouldn't start... got shovel to dig around barn door, broke handle..... wheel horse started,but wouldn't move in snow... icy base.. had to put chains on...my bad... then belt kept coming off.. worked long enough to open driveway to garage where the 53 pontiac is sleeping.... I'll fix the snow stuff later.... gotta wax the car.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gee.....you guys had it easy yesterday. My GMC 3500 was dead as a door nail when I went to work yesterday morning. My three year old Napa Gold batteries both gave up the ghost. Fortunately with the warranty, it only cost me 100 bucks for two new ones. I actually had to install them in the street...........it was only partially sunny and at 85 degrees I actually broke into a sweat installing them.........it was very difficult..........so you can see, it’s not all “champagne and caviar” down here either. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm in west cental PA and they predicted 6-12 inches from 10 AM wed. to 7 AM Thursday. It started to snow about 9:30 Wed. morning but petered out about 1-2AM Thurday. We got, maybe 10 inches,but in the mountains here, totals can vary within a few miles. Looks like we might have a white Christmas after all!

If you are still one of the three people in the world watching a TV weatherman I think they always exaggerate on the high side. 

Btw,  I realize as someone from Massachusetts I don't have a leg to stand on saying anything bad about any other state,  but the good people of SE Pennsylvania surprisingly don't have the slightest idea how to drive in the snow.     A couple of rules:

1.   ONLY use your flashers if you are stuck.   Don't drive around like an ass with your flashers on because it is snowing.   All the other drivers are well aware.    When 1/3 of the moving cars are running flashers you don't know when some is actually stuck.    Which leaves the poor jerk from Mass sitting on  a ramp for 1 hour because nobody behind a stuck semi realized it was stuck.  Even though it had its flashers on.    Where I live,  you use your flasher when you are disabled or if you are an emergency vehicle.

2.   If you own a 2 wheel drive POS stay the hell home when  there is a blizzard forecast.  Please.

3.  If snow scares you,  move to Florida.

• Like 3

Forecasts in Eastern PA were all over the place. In my area we were on the low end of some forecasts with 10-12 inches.

My sister just south of Albany, NY came in about 20 inches over their prediction at 32 inches.

My work commute Wednesday evening and Thursday morning were quite interesting. The number of stuck 4WD vehicles with "All Season" tires was quite a sight to behold. There are people around here who say "it never snows that much here" or "they plow the roads real quick here" (that didn't happen) who got a reality check. I had no problem climbing the snow covered hills or navigating snow clogged intersections. Then again, I had proper tires on my 4WD truck that did the job they were designed to do (ie snow tires). Given the roads I have to use to get to work snow tires are a must.

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Gee.....you guys had it easy yesterday. My GMC 3500 was dead as a door nail when I went to work yesterday morning. My three year old Napa Gold batteries both gave up the ghost. Fortunately with the warranty, it only cost me 100 bucks for two new ones. I actually had to install them in the street...........it was only partially sunny and at 85 degrees I actually broke into a sweat installing them.........it was very difficult..........so you can see, it’s not all “champagne and caviar” down here either. 😎

Hey Ed I wasn't sure wether to laugh or give you a different Emoji I can't seem to find on the choices. ;) 

Today weather is nice and sunny but it's 0 out. and that's not celcius.  Atleast it's 20 in the nonheated garage and the 3rd new block heater in as many years will hopefully work on the tractor.  An hour or more of clean up to still do with the tractor. 

I was surprised the number of good Samaritans that slowed down with plow trucks so they didn't hit me while they were driving around me shoveling out my tractor.  That was really nice of them so I didn't get sprayed with road salt.  A chain or a blade of snow away from the front of the tractor would have made a world of difference.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Pretty much dead on accurate, 13" in CT.  The drifting is the killer, always piles onto the deck making the manual part tough.  Also ran into the stonewall driveway border but no damage, just was unable to see exactly where to stop.  The big win was getting garage cleaned and stuffing tractor on one end of the SL, snowblower behind it.  Wife's jeep inside first time since last March a big win! 

I’ve got the Auburn distributor all back together. The points aren’t bouncing at idle anymore. Runs better than it ever has.  I need a better pair of sunglasses! This is driving over the intercoastal into Palm Beach. This morning at 9:30 AM. 

4FFE198A-282F-4DD5-865C-1C4C2F973639.jpeg

What Ed didn't mention was the 40 degrees this morning part. Hope Auburn has a heater.

"ONLY use your flashers if you are stuck." are illegal in Florida while moving (except for police, emergency vehicles, and white pick-ups) which is dumb because in a real frog strangler with no place to pull waaaay off you can't see a car 20 feet ahead. With flashers going it is 50 feet and can stop from 20 mph.

14 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

On the North Shore of Long Island they were predicting 6" to 12" and we got about 10". Pretty good as far as weather predictions lately.

I am on the North Shore as well and they were pretty much dead on around 10" South Shore had way less as predicted as well. The timing is unbelievable, when they say it is going to start snowing at 3:30 it started snowing at 3:30.  

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I realize as someone from Massachusetts I don't have a leg to stand on saying anything bad about any other state,  but the good people of SE Pennsylvania surprisingly don't have the slightest idea how to drive in the snow.

You oughta see the Northeastern transplants (who one would think should know how to drive in the stuff) try to get around in the stuff we get here in southern VA and NC. Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte will quickly turn into gridlock with all the wrecks if we get more than a couple inches of snow. Forget traveling in our ice storms.

Had a guy originally from upstate NY tell me "this s**t you guys get down here is different from what we get up north".

Fortunately we in the Middle Border area got only rain. 50 miles north in Lynchburg/Roanoke had 1/4" of ice with resultant road and power outage issues. Had that 0.8" of rain turned to snow we'd have had 6-8" of it. No thanks.

When I was a kid I loved snow. It was magical then. Nothing but a royal PITA now.

• Like 1

Absolutely accurate here in the greater New Orleans area:

No snow predicted, and none noticed, at least here on the south shore of Lake Pontchartrain-

but it was COLD, at least for us - woke up to a chilly 40 degrees, and an expected high of a sunny 57 today,

likely not get above 66 tomorrow-

Having grown up in NJ, and spent a couple of winters in Fort Wayne, Indiana with temporary assignments in Madison, WI, International Falls, MN, Owasso and Muskegon, MI,

that is enough winter for me-

Likely not even drive top-down today !

Wishing All Y'all safe, dry, warm holidays ! 

I agree with the other Long Island guys, the local forecast was accurate this time.  They predicted six to eight inches for my part of the Island (eastern Nassau, south of the Expressway) and we got six inches.  Ironically, it was 60 degrees on Sunday and I drove my convertible with the top down.  Now it's covered up in the garage.

I'm in the Hudson Valley. They predicted 12-18 inches for us but we topped out at 11. I actually think the front yard may have gotten more than the back. 

2v2HdS7Snx2zUmm.jpg

It was the first snow storm for my brother's new car, a 2014 Ford Focus. 

It was a heavy, thick snow but it recorded imprints of things, this is the spot where his car had been parked.

2v2HdSsGzx2zUmm.jpg

Unfortunately we don't have a garage.

3 hours ago, padgett said:

What Ed didn't mention was the 40 degrees this morning part. Hope Auburn has a heater.

"ONLY use your flashers if you are stuck." are illegal in Florida while moving (except for police, emergency vehicles, and white pick-ups) which is dumb because in a real frog strangler with no place to pull waaaay off you can't see a car 20 feet ahead. With flashers going it is 50 feet and can stop from 20 mph.

It was 58 here this morning.......I used the outdoor shower at 6am without issue. It's 68 right now........and the Auburn DOES have a heater.......works fine, but I have the water valve shot off.......it will push you out of the cab even with no windows. 

Just a couple inches here in western New York. My wife and I went over to the next county for lunch. Then a ride along the Erie Canal and a run through the old stone quarries. I told my wife I should have driven the '60 Electra. Sunny day, roads were dry, cold enough so there was no liquid. What could be better? Yeah, what could. Been here way too long.