Hammerblow timer????

Fossil

Just ran across a part for a Model T Ford that I've never heard of before. Did a google search and came up with nothing. It's called a Ford Model T Herz Hammerblow Timer for cold weather. Can any of you tell me what this is. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-Ford-Model-T-Herz-Hammerblow-Timer-Cold-Weather/264979225248?hash=item3db1fe1aa0:g:p~MAAOSw1VBf2klL

In this case it is a device that distributes the spark from the 4 separate buzzer could. It's the system that pre-dates both the magneto (which has points) and conventional "modern" ignition systems with points. Most cars used a timer until magneto ignition came about but mags were very expensive items and Ford, in order to keep things cheap, continued to use the older system. Ford's "flywheel magneto" generated a low tension current which was fed through the timer to the coils and from there, as a high tension current, to the spark plugs.

Timers and buzzer coils were always fussy to adjust and keep adjusted. There were lots of after market timers as well as master vibrator coils to replace the separate units. Not long ago I read a period article on how to rewire a Ford so it used a single vibrator coil.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1