NOS hardware - wood screws and 500 lbs of misc hardware

Restorer32

Slotted screws are getting harder and harder to locate. Everyone wants to use a power driver and Phillips head screws. My '46 Ford Station Wagon used an assortment of flathead, slotted, wood screws and I am fortunate to have an old school lumber supply that had them in stock. That number 24 is cool, I didn't know they came that big, I thought 16 was the largest.

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to NOS hardware - wood screws and 500 lbs of misc hardware

As a restorer of 1931 Buicks (3 over 50yrs) I'm well aware of differences related to any "original" machine fastener compared to what we get today.  The modern fasteners consistently have smaller heads with markings not seen on original bolt heads.  I use new stuff where I have to but I try my best to save original fasteners by use of brass wire brush or wheel,  especially if the fastener is prominent on the engine, chassis or body.  I have ground off markings and polished stainless fasteners to replace some exterior body bolts like bumper bolts that were nickel or even chrome plated.  I would love to inherit a truck load of coffee cans filled with nuts, bolts and washers removed from 1930's automobiles, especially if they were stored in oil.

On 12/16/2020 at 2:06 PM, 46 woodie said:

...Everyone wants to use a power driver and Phillips head screws... 

I now try to buy torque screws instead of Philips.

So much better.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2020 at 12:05 PM, Str8-8-Dave said:

I would love to inherit a truck load of coffee cans filled with nuts, bolts and washers removed from 1930's automobiles, especially if they were stored in oil.

That's something I buy at Estate  & Garage Sales of old guys who

did their own repairs and saved anything re-usable.  Found some

good hardware & tools over the years.

As a corollary to the slotted screw are the old screwdrivers.  They were properly sized for the screw head.  There were strict (SAE?) standards they followed for determine the slot size and the old Yankee, Mac and others had properly sized screwdriveres to fit them.  I have gathered up a considerable collection of them that I use only in my carburetor shop, when you mess with old screws and have just 1 chance to get it right you'd better have the screwdriver made for that screw.

I grind lots of screwdriver tips to fit the screws, carburetor screws being one application, such as jets and inlet valves. Now I have a special drawer for them in the garage so they do not get used by others for chisels......😆

Grinding the tip is an art. Lots of practice and you will be able to make well fitting drivers.

• Like 1