When Not To Use A Cover

TAKerry

I did not want to hijack the 'cover' thread with this amusing anecdote. Here goes my story.

I had bought a Firebird brand new in 1982. I was right out of hs and a member of the adult work force. The car was my pride and joy. I worked 6 days a week back then and one Saturday involved spending the day behind the wheel of the company dump truck. The truck had been left at the job site Friday night, SO, I drove my shiny white Firebird to the job (renovation of grocery store), parked in an out of the way spot in the back of the lot, got out my cover (purchased from Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories, and I still have it) and put my car to bed for the day. Returned to the jobsite after about 8 hrs on the road and my biggest fear had been realized. MY CAR WAS GONE!!!!!

The owner of the store saw the car covered, sitting in the back of the lot and called the police. He suspected foul play, thought someone had hidden a body in the car. The police had the car towed.  I couldnt retrieve it until Monday morning when the body shop opened up. Not having my car for Saturday date night was the second worse thing about the scenario.  The store owner felt bad after the whole ordeal and paid the towing/storage fees.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

49160213982_d73b23c03b_b.jpg2019-12-02_03-45-54 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Bill, heres mine covering my project car in the barn. It was made for a 3rd gen fbody but it fits the 2nd gen pretty good, although the nose is off the car presently, with that on the old cover is too short. I had it rolled up in a ball for many years and the mice got a hold of it and chewed a bit up. Its also a bit dry rotted and will tear easily if Im not careful. 

49976741313_1f8e3785a3_b.jpg2020-06-06_11-09-41 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

And heres a pic I found of my beloved Firebird!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

2019-12-02_03-45-54 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr

Bill, heres mine covering my project car in the barn. It was made for a 3rd gen fbody but it fits the 2nd gen pretty good, although the nose is off the car presently, with that on the old cover is too short. I had it rolled up in a ball for many years and the mice got a hold of it and chewed a bit up. Its also a bit dry rotted and wi

Wow, I wish I was rich like that when I just graduated HS.. My driver out of high school in 1987 was a $400 1969 Firebird p.o.s. with no floors. The high school auto shop teacher put it up on the lift and the car twisted 30 degrees because the unibody-subframe bolts were all gone. To start it in the winter I had to dig a hole in the snow and lay under the car and bang on the starter with a tire iron...

89tc you had a great car out of HS. Mine was a 57 Desoto that cost $200 I had to work in a junkyard on Saturday’s and my pay was parts from three Desoto junks in the back of the yard! We stuffed steel wool then put bondo in the holes above the headlights to keep them from falling out.  I did get to siphoned the gas out of any car they brought into the yard so I always had a full tank. I never covered it!  Lol
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My first two cars that I drove cost me $15 each.

Then I sprung $600 on a 55 four door Chrysler New Yorker in 1958.

( Slightly damaged, that's what got me into the auto body business) 🛠️🤑

(Not my original one but a clone)

Ford  and Chrysler 6 2015 006.JPG

• Like 1

The first (and only) time that I used a cover somebody stole it!

I looked around and noticed a small piece of it under a truck body next to it. I pulled on it and low and behold, the whole cover was there being used by my resident ground hog as a bed!

I did buy 2 new covers at a tag sale and I am reluctant to put them on my convertible as I am afraid that a mouse will think that it is a nice tent for the winter.  (My mustang top was down in storage and it now has a nice 5" hole in it.)

• Like 1

My first car cover was from J. C. Whitney in 1973.  A rubberized cloth cover that trapped condensation if used outside.  However it went all the way to the floor and I could spray  paint other things in the garage and my car was safe.  Kept that cover about 30 years.

Now I use nylon covers that look like old parashutes and they only limit dust and sawdust and Fly & Bee crap.

Hint:  For old tall square cars, take measurements and find SUV's or even vans in shopping center patking lots that match your measurments.  Then order the Van or SUV cover.   It will fit your old car and if you measure height too, your new cover can go all the way to the floor, keeping the wheels clean too.