23 Buick Starter pedal

carmover

The starter pedal on the 23 Buick is locking up at times and I have to Keep stomping on it and it will eventually turn loose and go down and start.It only does this sometimes  but it does it often. Has anybody else have this problem?I hope to get this figured out cause it is very frustrating.

Is your starter motoring (spinning slowly) before you attempt to push down when you flip on the ignition?

If not motoring, the gears won’t line up and engage and the pedal won’t go down

Most common cause is worn brushes causing S/G not to motor and often not show a charge either when running. The three small brushes on the smaller diameter commutator. Next is weak springs holding these brushes against the commutator or a dirty commutator. Commutator should be bright copper. 

• Like 1

Brian It is motoring and showing a charge when running. I think it is where the pedal Shaft meets the lever .On my 25 Buick  back before I rebuilt the start/gen and it wasn't motoring The pedal would move a little bit but would not engage the starter.On this 23 the starter pedal will not move at all and after I hit it with my foot about six or eight times it will go down and start.

Quite a few lubrication points on the tall telescoping style pedal. Oil them all. Pull the cover above the starting pinion and check for movement. Make sure that grease is getting to the starter gear shaft.

DSCF8001.thumb.JPG.a1f31716aceb94ad2ac549142a4574ee.JPG  DSCF8021.thumb.JPG.ce7f4193759d4dbcdc260adc229483cb.JPG

On my Master the gears were pretty chewed up from poor adjustment. There is a timing adjustment by positioning the fork that pushes these gears in mesh. The opposite end of the mechanism pulls out the pin in the S/G to drop the starter brush onto the already rotating armature. Note the shaft that the gears ride on is cross drilled for grease.

Also in the S/G the brush roller that rides on the taper pin could be hanging up.

• Like 1

Agree. 

Open up that right side rear mount that also has a gear set and small one-way clutch in there and clean things out.  Mine was full of nasty old hard grease. 

Also the small arm on the passenger side end of the cross car shaft starter linkage has a set screw to adjust when the small arm engages the SG. You can change this position to see if that helps. 

Also make sure the bull nosed large pin ~1 inch diameter that goes in and out of the SG that lifts the brushes can stick if not lubed. 

• Like 1