Date this family Pierce Arrow

It's a 38 hp from the radiator top being almost level with the top of the headlights, 1918 or earlier from the cast-in cowl lights.  I'd call it a Series 4 (1916-1918, virtually identical), BUT the 38 hp and the 66 hp were discontinued in early 1918 for war production of trucks, leaving the 1918 48-B-5 new dual valve as the only passenger car series offered until March 1919.  In view of the latter, it's probably 1916-1917 production.

In Pierce-speak, it's a Series 38-C-4 2/3 passenger runabout.  134" wheelbase, 414 cid 6-cylinder, 2-valves per cylinder.

• Like 13
12 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

I love it when someone identifies a vehicle and explains how they arrived at that id.  Thanks Grimy.

George has an advantage.......back in 1918 he worked part time at the Pierce dealership in San Francisco detailing cars.............😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
27 minutes ago, Grimy said:

A few Series 4 cars were actually built in calendar year 1915, and 300% of them are registered with HCCA......

Fourteen survivors of the original seven built..........

• Like 3

Cool photo, and great comments from all. 

I note that the top seems almost glossy. Could it have been painted or coated with something intended to prevent leaks? Or, was there a material that was a bit glossy back then? Maybe it's just the lighting? 

8 minutes ago, lump said:

I note that the top seems almost glossy. Could it have been painted or coated with something intended to prevent leaks? Or, was there a material that was a bit glossy back then? Maybe it's just the lighting?

Standard Pierce topping material at the time was an imitation leather fabric called Pantasote (TM), several forms of which are being reproduced today by Haartz.

On 12/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, Grimy said:

A few Series 4 cars were actually built in calendar year 1915, and 300% of them are registered with HCCA......

December of 1915 was a huge production month for all auto manufacturers, they needed to get the 16 models ready.... or so I have told myself every time I look at anything built in 1916.