Help - value of a 1963 chevy biscayne

Lori rose

Hello, my name is lori. So i was wondering if somebody could help me. I inherited a 1963 chevy biscayne from my mom who inherited it from her uncle. He bought it brand new off the lot and kept it parked under a car cover. My mom drove him from california to kansas and back and parked it and there it sat for another 15 or so years. It only has about 20,0000 miles on it. It has been vandalized a bit. So it needs a back window and a windsheild. It needs new interior tires and paint job. But it has all its original parts with matching numbers. All the lights and morrors are intact. The motor and tranny are good and the body is straight free of rust and dents. Im trying to find out what its worth but i cant figure this out. I was hoping somebody could help me with this please.

Common situation unfortunately.  If it's been sitting (outside especially) for that long, the motor and tranny are probably not as good as you might think.  Photos would be helpful of course, but without knowing whether it's a 409 4-speed (and I'm thinking that's unlikely) it's going to be a parts donor at best.

Terry

5 hours ago, Lori rose said:

Hello, my name is lori. So i was wondering if somebody could help me. I inherited a 1963 chevy biscayne from my mom who inherited it from her uncle. He bought it brand new off the lot and kept it parked under a car cover. My mom drove him from california to kansas and back and parked it and there it sat for another 15 or so years. It only has about 20,0000 miles on it. It has been vandalized a bit. So it needs a back window and a windsheild. It needs new interior tires and paint job. But it has all its original parts with matching numbers. All the lights and morrors are intact. The motor and tranny are good and the body is straight free of rust and dents. Im trying to find out what its worth but i cant figure this out. I was hoping somebody could help me with this please.

Hi Lori,

Post some pictures of the car here. Where in California is the car located

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Help - value of a 1963 chevy biscayne

Yes, the Biscaynes of this era could be a bare bones fleet type cars that aren't worth too much...or stripped down factory performance vehicles sold to professional racers, and worth a whole lot. The vast majority were the former, and I presume that's what the OP has. Having said that, there seems to be a perennial "Chevy fever" in the market that favors almost anything from this brand over other brands of the era...as long as it has a v-8, even if only a two bbl 283. If it's a straight six, forget it, nobody cares. And if the title's been lost or deemed irreplaceable, the car may only have value as parts to many people.

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

Lori,

Not to be crass,  but based on your information  anywhere from 250.00 to 75k dollars.    Pictures are critical as to condition, engine size, body style, etc.

Well, your comment is crass. She wants help & direction. Most replies are giving her some direction. And, not to be crass, there is no '63 Biscayne worth $75000.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

Well, your comment is crass. She wants help & direction. Most replies are giving her some direction. And, not to be crass, there is no '63 Biscayne worth $75000.

What do you think a 20k mile 1 family owned 409cid/425hp 2x4bb stick car would be worth in black with a red interior?

People come on here all the time and ask for help and we fall all over ourselves to do it.   Even when they provided almost zero useful information.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lori, 

This is a terrific bunch of car collecting experts, and they will be glad to offer you excellent input, once that becomes possible. Obviously, you are asking their help because you are NOT an expert. Good thinking. But since you are not an expert yourself, you are probably unaware of the VAST differences there are in the values of 1963 Chevrolet Biscayne models. Several ingredients make HUGE differences in value. Whether the engine is a 6 or an 8 cylinder, whether it has an automatic or standard transmission, whether it is a 2 door or a 4 door model, the color, and the condition...those ingredients can make the value vary wildly. 

So, don't be discouraged. Just give this group the information they need, and you'll quickly get some VERY valuable advice. 

Happy holidays! 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, alsancle said:

What do you think a 20k mile 1 family owned 409cid/425hp 2x4bb stick car would be worth in black with a red interior?

Even MORE than $75K if it's a Z11 package with aluminum front fenders and bumpers!!

Craig

• Like 2

19 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

And where, pray tell did you get that little nugget?

Sorry, that's only a simple market assessment, since that's what the OP was looking for. Meaning that the "Chevy Fever" I referred  in my previous comment (the brand specific premium, circa 1955-72) doesn't really apply so much when it comes to most straight six Chevies from the 1960's. Of course, if you get a straight six 1963 Nova SS in good condition, it's worth some money, but that 's not relevant to the OP's Biscayne.

The six cylinder Chevy is a fine motor and people rightfully are fans of them. They have a respectable following, but I don't know if that translates into increased market value.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, padgett said:

" there is no record " Sean Connery was right.  Never say Never. What I found was that most went into Impalas.

Mr Peterson,  I think you should double check your information. We all know that you would not want to be giving out any information that is not correct.  You must have  missed some content of the OP's post. I am sure that you knew that those cars were not sold off the lot, and that also you knew that particular engine could not have survived the drive to Kansas to California and back with the low octane fuel that is now available.  I am sure it was just an over site on your part. I would also suggest that also read Mark I's post above

Maybe it is best to stick with the 80's cars

On 12/15/2020 at 1:08 PM, Lori rose said:

He bought it brand new off the lot and kept it parked under a car cover. My mom drove him from california to kansas and back and parked it and there it sat for another 15 or so years. It only has about 20,0000 miles on it. It has been vandalized a bit. 

6 hours ago, Mark I said:

Z-11 was only available on a non-SS Impala coupe. Anything else was assembled over the counter, and you needed a VIN from an actual Z-11 to order them.

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2020 at 10:08 AM, Lori rose said:

Hi Lori,

I hope you come back to check on replies. I was in your shoes a few years ago with about a dozen cars of my father I had to value. 

Post pictures of the inside, outside, engine, etc. Keep checking back and answering questions. There is a lot of knowledgeable, helpful members here if you communicate with them. 

• Like 7

12 hours ago, Mark I said:

Z-11 was only available on a non-SS Impala coupe. Anything else was assembled over the counter, and you needed a VIN from an actual Z-11 to order them.

I won't argue.  

But never say never.  In the muscle car world, there are several examples of cars that received options that were supposedly reserved for certain models.

Craig

• Like 2

In my mind I see this car as a 6 cyl two door and then it gets transformed into a gunmetal blue car with red vinyl interior, a hurst 4 speed shifter with white knob sticking up from the floor, heavy duty suspension to improve its stance, dual exhaust exiting from behind the rear wheels and a 409 under the hood.  Poverty hubcaps and blackwall tires a must!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Glad my glee club is still active. Z-11 and "mystery engine" are two different animals can tell apart by valve covers. Was just presenting what could have been when I worked for GM before the feds were really involved & anything was possible - do not know what really was, had Corvairs and Corvettes but have always preferred Pontiacs.

3 hours ago, padgett said:

Z-11 and "mystery engine" are two different animals can tell apart by valve covers. 

I assume that was common knowledge, but thanks for sharing it. Even though as a tech advisor for the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America  on 348/409 cars for almost 40 years I never know when I can learn something, so if there is anything else you want to tell me please feel free, and likewise I would be more then happy to find any information you are seeking.

do not know what really was,

Really?  

Was just presenting what could have been when I worked for GM before the feds were really involved & anything was possible -

No, it was not possible to buy either one of those engine combinations off the lot, so you were really perpetuating a myth.

" off the lot" oh I agree, but what was done in the engineering department was something else. Mac McKeller had a sohc 421 Grand Prix in his home garage for years and no dealer (well maybe two) ever got a RA V tunnel port GTO (but Ace and Milt had access). Really was amazing what a GMI student who was older and a gearhead had access to and with internal phone access, interesting people were just a phone call away.

My 72 station wagon was the result of an internal phone call and not something in the order book but built in the Framingham plant.  Picture in '90s.

goatwgn.jpg

• Like 2

A 1963 Biscayne is a favourite of mine as I learned to drive in our's. Oshawa built, 230 Stovebolt, 3 speed bolt action column, rubber floor, no radio, full wheel disc's instead of "dogs". A very typical Nova Scotia delivered Chevy of the day. Medium Fawn metallic with matching vinyl interior. Great nostalgia for a guy like me, but would I buy one for more than $4-5000? Not likely. This is the same body colour, minus the Impala trim and white top. 

Flickriver: Photoset 'Chevrolet 63- 64' by carphoto

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alsancle said:

I do wish newbies put a 1/4 as much effort into asking the question and following up as we do answering.

If they didn't ask, we wouldn't have anything to talk about.😄 Also, as this thread has morphed into a discussion about 409's, mystery motors, etc., others seem to also and sometimes it makes for interesting reading.

• Like 3

Without any furthur input from the OP I'd expect the discussion to morph. I'm learning a lot more about Chevys than I expected.

Terry

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 10:32 AM, John348 said:

FYI there is no record of the mystery motor installed in any Biscaynes, and EXTREMELY doubtful that it the original owners still owned it and just had it laying around. 

Correct John but to go one more there are no records of that initial run of motors factory installed in any vehicle. There is good information as to who in NASCAR received the motors but sadly back up parts initially became a problem but.... damn if they didn’t tear up Daytona that year!

Robert

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 6:34 PM, Ed Luddy said:

A 1963 Biscayne is a favourite of mine as I learned to drive in our's. Oshawa built, 230 Stovebolt, 3 speed bolt action column, rubber floor, no radio, full wheel disc's instead of "dogs". A very typical Nova Scotia delivered Chevy of the day. Medium Fawn metallic with matching vinyl interior. Great nostalgia for a guy like me, but would I buy one for more than $4-5000? Not likely. This is the same body colour, minus the Impala trim and white top. 

I hate to disappoint you Ed, but the 3rd generation Chevrolet of 194, 215-P,  230, 250, 292 six cylinder engines are not stove bolts. But what they are is one of the best designed six cylinder inline engines ever built. A main bearing between each connecting rod, seven mains in total, and cam to crank gear to gear-no timing chain, they if treated right will last and last. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

6 hours ago, Robert Street said:

Correct John but to go one more there are no records of that initial run of motors factory installed in any vehicle. There is good information as to who in NASCAR received the motors but sadly back up parts initially became a problem but.... damn if they didn’t tear up Daytona that year!

Robert

The 1963 Daytona 500, the 5th running of the event held on February 24, 1963, was won by Tiny Lund driving a 1963 Ford. Lund drove his number 21 to victory in three hours and 17 minutes. There were 2 cautions flags which slowed the race for 10 laps.

image.jpeg.6a33fe132a7f2b0a0a96e006c0cafb12.jpeg 

The top qualifier Poll position #1 and  was Fireball Roberts 1963 Pontiac Catalina Driver Glen “Fireball” Roberts won the pole position for the Daytona...  News Photo - Getty Images

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pfeil said:

The 1963 Daytona 500, the 5th running of the event held on February 24, 1963, was won by Tiny Lund driving a 1963 Ford. Lund drove his number 21 to victory in three hours and 17 minutes. There were 2 cautions flags which slowed the race for 10 laps.

image.jpeg.6a33fe132a7f2b0a0a96e006c0cafb12.jpeg 

The top qualifier Poll position #1 and  was Fireball Roberts 1963 Pontiac Catalina Driver Glen “Fireball” Roberts won the pole position for the Daytona...  News Photo - Getty Images

Robert, hope all is well with you and your family

Very true, and we know nobody just was "buying a new one off the lot" as Mr Peterson was implying. We know that those particular engines were all designated as to who was getting them and how many they were receiving. I should have been more clear in my response and I will apologize for that. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 8:34 PM, Ed Luddy said:

The 1963 Chevy was, in my opinion, one of the cleanest designs of the era.

Ours was a red Impala convertible with red interior and white convertible top, 283 V-8, Powerglide, and no power brakes. We toured it nearly 100,000 miles between 1977 and 2007, much of it on cross-continent trips to AACA and VMCCA tours. Absolutely one of the most dependable cars I've ever owned !

We did upgrade to 15" wheels and DOT-5 Silicone brake fluid. The trunk was large enough to allow for a full supply of tools, spares, baggage for a month-long trip without the need to search out a laundromat. It also carried baggage for our friend whose trunk was full of tools and spares for the '56 T-Bird he drove on our trip from New Orleans to California and back, with a good many side trips related to the 1998 AACA Founders Tour in Milpitas, California. That drive included the Winslow Meteor Crater, Kings Canyon & Sequoiah Parks, Victorville (met Roy Rogers and Dale Evans), Hearst Castle, the Pacific Coast Highway, the 17 mile drive on the Monterat Peninsula, Lombard St in San Francisco, Yosemite National Park, The Grapevine, Las Vegas (top down Cruising), Zion, Bryce Canyon, North Rim of the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and too many other lesser known side trips to recall. The only issue on that trip was the need to "snug" the hydraulic fitting on the right rear brake wheel cylinder, and to add DOT-5 as a minor leak was noted and resolved following dinner at the North Rim. The balance of the trip was uneventful.

Please read what I say, is usually quite clear. Were many GM cars that were never on a lot and being an employee and a gearhead in the early 70s saw a lot of things that the public never did. Just some happened to escape (would love to have one of the 7 SD Grand Ams that "never saw a dealer lot"). Just because I cannot document things that early (was more familiar with the Pontiac tunnel port 303 than Chevvies other than FI) but after vising a few peoples garages will never say never.

Of course in general do know that some things existed (in '63 Chevrolet had two entirely different 427s just have the specs for the 1970 430-465-494 aluminum block engines that I ga-run-tee were never on a dealer lot.

But if you really want to know about the "other" 427, think Bill Howell is still around.