2021 AACA Annual Convention Postponed

Due to the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic and the recent mandates by the Governor of Pennsylvania, the 2021 AACA Annual Convention has been rescheduled to Thursday-Saturday, April 15-17, 2021.  The venue remains the same:  the recently remodeled Sheraton Downtown Hotel in Philadelphia, PA.  We intend to have as much of our usual Annual Convention as possible, complete with informative seminars, the trade show, and, of course, the National Awards Banquet & Ceremony.

Happy Hanukkah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year to everyone.  Here's to a considerably better year in 2021.  I look forward to seeing you at a future AACA national activity.  Until then be safe and stay healthy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Hello Ed,

I don't know, but based on comments posted elsewhere on the Forum, I believe notification letters have been mailed out by AACA HQ.  If your vehicle was nominated for a National Award, you should receive a letter any day now.  You can call AACA HQ to confirm this--I doubt that they'll tell you whenever your vehicle won or not, but they can confirm that the notification letters have gone out.

Good luck!  Be safe, stay healthy, and have a great Christmas and happy New Year!

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added missing word "tell" in first paragraph. (see edit history)

I hate that the annual meeting postponed, but you have to look at it as the glass being half full instead of half empty.  

The Good things:

1.  It's still in Philly.  Terry Bond got me hooked on Mace's Crossing.

2.  Weather - Being in April, I don't have to worry about getting caught in a blizzard in the Poconos going to or going from, while our southern membership doesn't have to battle snow covered roads where they don't live to where they're used to driving on snow covered roads.

3.  Time change - it won't be getting dark as early as it is in February, so we can enjoy more daylight hours in Philly after the seminars end during the day.  For those who head for home after the annual meeting, they'll be driving in less hours of darkness to get back home.

4.  Spring - Things will be greener in Philly than what they've been when we go in February.

5.  Allentown - Being a fire truck guy, every April they have this big huge fire equipment flea market in Allentown.  I go every year, and as fate would have it, the convention is Thursday, Friday and Saturday, the flea market is on Sunday.  So unless something changes, after the annual meeting ends on Saturday afternoon, I drive up the road an hour closer to home and go to Allentown, set up Saturday afternoon, and go to the flea market on Sunday.  It saves me a trip and it saves me vacation time off of work.

6.  Schedule - By having the meeting in April, it puts us only a few weeks away before the national meet and tour season kick off

The downside??

1.  It makes it harder for the National Directors and staff because they don't have as much time to plan things and get them done.  It wasn't before I chaired a national meet before I was ever able to comprehend what the headquarters staff and the National Directors have to do to keep the doors open and keep things going.  Having less time for them to do their work, has got to make it harder for them, but with no meets to speak of last year, they should've had more time to get caught up on things too.

So for me as an individual, the postponement has filled my glass right up....  As in the case of the AGNM and Hershey, a late annual meeting is better than no annual meeting at all....  By having better weather, and longer days will make it even nicer.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Speaking just for myself, I don't think delaying the Annual Convention makes it any harder for me and my fellow directors other than making April a very busy month with the Southeastern Spring Nationals in Concord, NC, on 8-10 April, now followed by the Annual Convention on 15-17 April, and then the Southeastern Divisional Tour in Florida on 19-22 April.  We're still holding our Board Meeting in February (virtually via Zoom), so we will still be able to take care of the business and planning we usually accomplish in Philadelphia.

Who the postponement will be hard on is the AACA HQ staff who now have to prepare for, set up & run, and then pack up after the Annual Convention in the middle of car season & our scheduled national activities instead of before all the shows & tours start.  It does give the Library a little more time to continue unpacking & cataloging. 

And I can't speak for the other directors, but the cancellation of most of our shows & all of our tours this year didn't mean less work--probably just the opposite.  (I know it meant more work for our CEO Steve Moskowitz.)  In my case it meant twice the work because of having to scramble to reschedule all the cancelled events earlier in the year--some several times--only to have most of the year fall apart.  (It also made it difficult for regions & chapters to reschedule cancelled events or sign up to schedule other future ones in 2022-2025 because, with so many hotels, restaurants, and businesses closed down, they weren't able to coordinate future activities.)  I'm not complaining--the ones who had it the hardest were the host regions & chapters who put so much effort into planning & organizing these activities only to have to cancel them.  Fortunately for us (the club and members), all of the host regions/chapters rescheduled their events for next year or 2022, so we'll still get to enjoy the fruits of their labors.  Kudos and thanks to all of them--without them we wouldn't be able to hold AACA Nationals & tours.

Here's to a considerably better year in 2021.  I can't wait for the first show or tour because that will mean we're back to relative normal and able to see fellow members and vehicles we haven't seen for almost a year.

Best wishes, Pat.  I look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia this April.  Until then, be safe and stay healthy.  Merry Christmas!

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Added comment about Steve M. (see edit history)

Hello Frank,

It's a beautiful car--you should be justifiably proud of it.  Congratulations again on it receiving its Senior Award in Gettysburg and congratulations on its National Award nomination.  Good luck!

I look forward to seeing you and your Judge somewhere in the new year.  Until then, be safe and stay healthy.  Have a Happy New Year.

On 12/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, Mark McAlpine said:

Speaking just for myself, I don't think delaying the Annual Convention makes it any harder for me and my fellow directors other than making April a very busy month with the Southeastern Spring Nationals in Concord, NC, on 8-10 April, now followed by the Annual Convention on 15-17 April, and then the Southeastern Divisional Tour in Florida on 19-22 April.  We're still holding our Board Meeting in February (virtually via Zoom), so we will still be able to take care of the business and planning we usually accomplish in Philadelphia.

Who the postponement will be hard on is the AACA HQ staff who now have to prepare for, set up & run, and then pack up after the Annual Convention in the middle of car season & our scheduled national activities instead of before all the shows & tours start.  It does give the Library a little more time to continue unpacking & cataloging. 

And I can't speak for the other directors, but the cancellation of most of our shows & all of our tours this year didn't mean less work--probably just the opposite.  (I know it meant more work for our CEO Steve Moskowitz.)  In my case it meant twice the work because of having to scramble to reschedule all the cancelled events earlier in the year--some several times--only to have most of the year fall apart.  (It also made it difficult for regions & chapters to reschedule cancelled events or sign up to schedule other future ones in 2022-2025 because, with so many hotels, restaurants, and businesses closed down, they weren't able to coordinate future activities.)  I'm not complaining--the ones who had it the hardest were the host regions & chapters who put so much effort into planning & organizing these activities only to have to cancel them.  Fortunately for us (the club and members), all of the host regions/chapters rescheduled their events for next year or 2022, so we'll still get to enjoy the fruits of their labors.  Kudos and thanks to all of them--without them we wouldn't be able to hold AACA Nationals & tours.

Here's to a considerably better year in 2021.  I can't wait for the first show or tour because that will mean we're back to relative normal and able to see fellow members and vehicles we haven't seen for almost a year.

Best wishes, Pat.  I look forward to seeing you in Philadelphia this April.  Until then, be safe and stay healthy.  Merry Christmas!

Yeah I know just on the AGNM, I booked and planned that trip three times.  I could see where you and the other directors got to spend more time at home, but with the meeting being later, like you said, you're in a situation to where you don't have as much time between events to get done what you have to do.  As for the host regions, another fear I would have is that these facilities reserved for these events don't go belly up.  You can have a great contract for a show field, tours, host hotel, judge's breakfast and awards banquet but if the venue closes its' doors, you might find yourself out of the deposit and out of a venue.  That's a danger with hosting any event, but with COVID, you have a higher chance of having that happen. 

If someone would've told me two years ago that Hershey would be cancelled, I'd have called them a liar and laughed in their face.  Who would've ever guessed??

The good thing is that the Wyndham in Gettysburg has proven to be a good venue that works very well.  The other good thing about all of it, is that the headquarters staff has had more time to get settled into the new building, so when the rest of us are able to step foot into it, the place should be spectacular by then...

On 12/25/2020 at 6:34 PM, Mark McAlpine said:

Thank you, Mark. :)

Hello Frank,

It's a beautiful car--you should be justifiably proud of it.  Congratulations again on it receiving its Senior Award in Gettysburg and congratulations on its National Award nomination.  Good luck!

I look forward to seeing you and your Judge somewhere in the new year.  Until then, be safe and stay healthy.  Have a Happy New Year.

On 12/27/2020 at 1:33 PM, ex98thdrill said:

Yeah I know just on the AGNM, I booked and planned that trip three times.  I could see where you and the other directors got to spend more time at home, but with the meeting being later, like you said, you're in a situation to where you don't have as much time between events to get done what you have to do.  As for the host regions, another fear I would have is that these facilities reserved for these events don't go belly up.  You can have a great contract for a show field, tours, host hotel, judge's breakfast and awards banquet but if the venue closes its' doors, you might find yourself out of the deposit and out of a venue.  That's a danger with hosting any event, but with COVID, you have a higher chance of having that happen. 

If someone would've told me two years ago that Hershey would be cancelled, I'd have called them a liar and laughed in their face.  Who would've ever guessed??

The good thing is that the Wyndham in Gettysburg has proven to be a good venue that works very well.  The other good thing about all of it, is that the headquarters staff has had more time to get settled into the new building, so when the rest of us are able to step foot into it, the place should be spectacular by then...

It's been a challenging year for everyone.  Fortunately, we have great Chairpersons & host regions/chapters for each of our Nationals and Tours, and they've been rolling with the punches and overcoming & adapting to each challenge thrown their way.  Let's hope things improve quickly so we can return to some degree of normalcy and begin enjoying our AACA (and other) activities again soon.

The Wyndham & Courtyard facility in Gettysburg is great.  We'll be returning there again in 2023 for the Eastern Spring Nationals hosted by the Gettysburg Region on 18-20 May 2023.

Have a very happy & safe New Year!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd ask, has registration opened up for the annual meeting??  I haven't seen anything, and I wanted to get my paperwork in and the room booked.

The good thing is that with the meeting being later, we won't be facing the mob of Philadelphia Eagles fans.  Three years ago when the Eagles won the super bowl, we all saw an Annual Meeting like we'd never seen before.

IMG_0920.JPG

If the delivery delays that the USPS has been struggling with continue in 2021 the AACA should seriously consider opening registration earlier than normal for all events in 2021. Yes, I understand that there will still be those who wait until the last minute to register. Based on all the posts in the mail delivery issues thread here on the forum there may also be members who do not want to worry about an event registration being late. Another suggestion for event registrations starting this year would be the addition of confirming receipt of a registration for a National or Tour by EMAIL as a option if the member requests it. Regions/Chapters or Tour Chairpersons can get a FREE gmail email account to use for verifying registration submissions instead of using their regular email addresses. IE something like FallHersheyRegistration2021@gmail.com

This also might be a very good time for the AACA to revisit on-line registration for Nationals & Tours that does not require one to print out a card and mail it with a check. I am NOT saying that this would REPLACE the current print/write a check/mail way of doing things for those that want to do it that way. It would be an OPTIONAL way of doing this for those who want to do it a new, easier, FASTER, more reliable way. 

Yes, Steve I know you and I talked about this many years ago and there were reasons why it could not be done. Maybe it is time for the AACA to revisit this?? The Nationals (ie Auburn or AGN) that AACA National runs would be a good test drive for this new way of doing Nationals registration.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, charlier said:

If the delivery delays that the USPS has been struggling with continue in 2021 the AACA should seriously consider opening registration earlier than normal for all events in 2021. Yes, I understand that there will still be those who wait until the last minute to register. Based on all the posts in the mail delivery issues thread here on the forum there may also be members who do not want to worry about an event registration being late. Another suggestion for event registrations starting this year would be the addition of confirming receipt of a registration for a National or Tour by EMAIL as a option if the member requests it. Regions/Chapters or Tour Chairpersons can get a FREE gmail email account to use for verifying registration submissions instead of using their regular email addresses. IE something like FallHersheyRegistration2021@gmail.com

This also might be a very good time for the AACA to revisit on-line registration for Nationals & Tours that does not require one to print out a card and mail it with a check. I am NOT saying that this would REPLACE the current print/write a check/mail way of doing things for those that want to do it that way. It would be an OPTIONAL way of doing this for those who want to do it a new, easier, FASTER, more reliable way. 

Yes, Steve I know you and I talked about this many years ago and there were reasons why it could not be done. Maybe it is time for the AACA to revisit this?? The Nationals (ie Auburn or AGN) that AACA National runs would be a good test drive for this new way of doing Nationals registration.

Charlie, I have to side with Steve on this.  The reason being that if you have to send your check in to register for a meet, it doesn't take any more money or postage to mail the registration card to go along with the check.  In terms of opening up the registration early, that is up to the host region and no one else.

In terms of payment, the credit card won't work because when you register for a national meet, the money goes to the regions so that they can use that money to pay for reservations for banquet facilities, show field rentals, EMS coverage, tents, shuttle buses, tours, etc.

To do online billing wouldn't be feasible because it would require AACA to set up online billing for each region hosting a meet and it would be an absolute logistical nightmare.

I felt the same way you did, but got a HUGE wake up call when I chaired the meet in 2010.  

As for the regions knowing the numbers, the registration chairperson of the region that is hosting a meet or tour already has most of those numbers once they're entered in the computer.  When I was meet chairman I know in my case the registration chairperson, Chief Judge and myself already knew who and what was coming long before the checks showed up in the mail so in essence it's already being done.  When people entered their vehicles the old fashioned way, then the registration chairperson would have to enter the data in manually into the computer once they got the paperwork in the mail.  If someone registered for a meet and the check didn't show up, we could call up the person and inform them that the check hadn't showed up.

Granted what I know may have changed in the last eleven years, AACA has a very good system set up.  If AACA were to collect the money online, it would be a headache for them to be sending money to the host regions to pay deposits.  It would require the headquarters staff to take a lot more time dealing with this that those folks don't have.

Remember this.....  When you enter a vehicle for a meet, the only money that goes to AACA is the registration fee.  The money for the banquets, tours, trailer parking, merchandise all goes to the region.  Once the meet is over, the host region sends a check to AACA to include the registration fees which covers the cost of trophies.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)
  • Like 1