1919-21 Citroen "A" Ground up rebuild/restoration.

Hello Dr Data

Unfortunately, you know as much as I do! I have been in email contact with both the vendor and his "minder" and I probably know less about the car now than I did yesterday. About all I have learnt is that it is just over the border in South Australia about 150 or 200 kms away. I have said that I am interested in buying it but "Who Knows". Maybe it is one "project" that I should be running away from as fast as I can go.

I simply do not know.

Our current (Co-vid) restrictions on cross border travel makes it very difficult.

That the actual vendor dose not "do" emails so that I am reliant on his "friend" to communicate with him does not help. I have spoken with "someone" by telephone, but really I am none the wiser.

Is it all just another scam?  I really do not know.

So far I have not paid out any money and I am starting to think that I should just walk away.

Bernie j

Edited by Rapier (see edit history)

Thank you Frank

As my next [restoration project will very likely be my last one. It has to be the "right car". 
I (mentally) keep going back to the Unfinished 3 Litre Lagonda Special. I just need to make the time to go and find where it is hiding. It is an example of the cars that I have previously sold when almost finished.

I seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to finishing my restoration projects.

Now I do have some idea of where it is. It is a matter of making the time to go and do some "door-knocking".

To the best of my knowledge the new owner has not done anything to finish the job despite the number of years past since I sold it.

Bj.

3Litre Lag-Austin12 .jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Dr Data

I will keep you informed re any progress. Meanwhile we are due to have a day out in the 1934 Lagonda Rapier tomorrow. I have just been out in it to fill up the petrol tank. It is many monthe since our last drive in it.

Bj.

• Like 1

Sadly our trip was cut short the Lagonda discovered that it had a little water at the bottom of the petrol tank. Once the petrol filter(s) were cleared it seems that the problem had gone but it was too late to continue the trip. It has five filters if you count the two, one in the inlet on each carburettor float bowl. The filter in the base of the main SU petrol pump had a miniscule amount of dirt in it. What the main cause of the problem was remains a mystery.

Perhaps it was just a "payback" for the months without a run anywhere.

Bj

I have finally decided that I do not want to be starting any more new projects. If I do not find the missing Lagonda Three Litre it will not be the end of the world but PERHAPS the start of my retirement. I still have my 1934 Lagonda Rapier and I really should be happy with that. 1.5 Litre, Twin Overhead Cam engine producing something around 80 - 100 bhp combined with superb handling and excellent brakes along with a very comfortable Sporting two seater. That and my life "Navigator" beside me, what more could I want.........

502823969_Bertelli20Lagonda-Rapier-1934-OTS201.jpg.cd0f81ad0db4aa141fb8d7a8dbd019a1.jpg

Bj.

• Like 3

It is a little like being married, Lagondas and even more especially Lagonda Rapiers do play a very important part on my Life.

I bought my first Lagonda so long ago it is difficult for me to remember. This was the Vintage "Three Litre" that played a major role in my VSCC Competition career. Perhaps it is a reflection on the "times", but I have very few photographs of it.  I do remember that it was a very "Grubby"  white when I first bought but painted it Blue with black mudguards (fenders), very soon after it joined my family. It was used extensively in VSCC events. Appearances can be deceptive, it looks rather staid being a large touring car with "Sankey" Artillery wheels. 
It must be a (bad) habit, the head-lamp, horn and two badges arrangement is common to most of the cars that pass through my ownership.

1835078813_Lagonda3Litre2.jpeg.f1164165d206e2d78dbbb55b802234e9.jpegimage.png.4764ac8fc00dd09974a11e6d1f6c319d.png

DSCN7156.jpg.bf271da6d21a500ec0ce68db12ec56d6.jpg

• Like 1

This is not really a problem of my own making but a fashion prevalent  among motor-car designers/manufacturers of the 1920s & 30s.

Even attempting to arouse some interest here can only be seen as a total waste of my time.

Time probably better spend out in my garage. My only problem there is that with out current "lock-down",

how many times can you wash and polish a car and how often do I need to clean the interior of a car that has been nowhere?

3.jpg.c9f4a438a47805735eee4e88b07798f0.jpg

That "Rally Plate" on the front of the Lagonda tells you a number if things IF you are sufficiently interested to look. e.g. It tells you that the event celebrates the "1st Hill Climb competition for cars held in 1898. Anyone can tell you that Lagonda was one of the featured "Marques" but what is the other? "Chante Loup les Vignes" is the name of the French town just north of Paris where the event is held.

Bj.

1.jpeg.d857d364608dc4c7f621317a488f36fd.jpeg

Bj.

• Like 1

At this point I must apologise to all my Citroen owing friends. I have decided to concentrate my efforts on finding a long lost Lagonda 3Litre Special I started to build and them perhaps typically abandoned when 2/3 finished. Below is the drawing that I did all those years ago before I started work in it. along with some "progress photographs".711187942_LagondaLitreDrawing..jpeg.1f7a0afd9b10e1b13ec9b0b2e960fef5.jpeg

2035317163_3LitreLagondaSpecialphotos..jpeg.e48962c2844a10043d99798b8a262954.jpeg

• Like 1

The Lagonda "Special" above was sold in that "almost finished" state a very long time ago. Now it is  my "New Year's Resolution"

To find it, buy it back and finish it. I believe that it is still in the same unfinished state as when I sold it and is still no more than 20kms away.  Let the search begin!

Bernie J.

Regardless of how this year eventually turns out, our three or four days staying with my sister "down at the coast" could hardly be called "a holiday". As I sit here writing this I feel that I could crawl back into bed, close my eyes and hope that "It all goes away".

Suddenly I am very aware that I will turn 86 later this year........DSCN7527.jpg.5740f2e86f974072964e67480095a77f.jpg

I spent the afternoon yesterday out in my garage cleaning the dust off the Lagonda. Now I wonder if it would not be easier just to go out there and pull a "dust cover" over it. On a more positive outlook I did connect up the battery charger so IF the opportunity to take it out "somewhere" should arise, It will "start on the button".

The one realy good "thing" about the Lagonda Rapier is the way it will start instantly, even after a long "spell".

All that is required is, in the absence of a "Choke" is to depress the little "buttons" on top of the float bowls for five to ten seconds, the simply press the starter "button" with the accelerator pedal slightly depressed. and "BRUM" the motor will come to life.  Considering the amount of oil splashing around under the cam covers it can only be expected that some will drain down the valve stems while the motor is "standing", sometimes for quite lengthy periods.

At least the cloud of blue smoke from the exhaust on starting, indicates (to me) that the cylinder bores are lubricated during that initial "cold start".

Bj.

DSCN7256.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have now decided to pursue something "different".

I am looking for a mid 1930's DKW. That is right the 
interesting little two cylinder "two stroke" cars.

Preferrably a Drop Head Coupe.image.jpeg.c00d5564622a204ccd97b43cb554a67e.jpegimage.jpeg.c00d5564622a204ccd97b43cb554a67e.jpeg

This  means that I will have to start a "New Thread" under German.

Bj.

• Like 1

Oops That is not to be! Another Citroen has just appeared and is on its way to my garage. This time a mid 1920s B12 or that is what I am told it is. Very complete but again requiring some major work. I really am growing too old for all this nonsense.  Yesterday we were our in the trusty Lagonda Rapier for the VSCC "Day Trial" something over 100 miles with a lengthy lunch thrown in for good measure.  Our next outing in the Rapier is a little longer, taking, we are told, FIVE Days. I have time to give it an Oil Change and a chassis grease before then.

I believe that proper Lubrication is vitally important IF you are going to use your car as it was meant to be, out on the road.

Bj.

• Like 2

NO! I spoke too quickly, That Citroen is remaining for sale but not for me. At the eleventh hour sanity prevailed and I have now told the vendor that I am no longer interested. We already have enough cars, a VW Jetta, A Peugeot 405 Sri, the Lagonda Rapier, and a Morris "Raworth Special" (Replica) my present "project car".  the Morris is currently out at our son Steven's place where he has been doing some work on it.DSCN7905.jpg.c2393f1e09d141d2d565a1078222537d.jpgDSCN7900.jpg.e9f36885ba086065f51bd0b3842137ee.jpgimage.jpeg.4f4c5779cba101576fe92b8fc20f9633.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Meanwhile the Morris is out at my son Steven's place, I have not seen it for quite a while. Just as well I have the faithful Lagonda Rapier to keep me honest. We have the VSCC Alpine Rally coming up, this is a once per year FIVE DAY Event over, as the name suggests, some very "interesting" roads.

This is a "perfect" event for the Rapier. 

Bj.image.jpeg.754a0b7861699d1bd9411b282070014a.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Six (approximately) months later and nothing has changed. The Morris is still out at our son Steve's. He is currently assembling a motor for it. I will probably leave it out with him in the short term at least.  Looking at it again last weekend, I was reminded what an attractive car it is with lots of potential. Apart from the motor, 90% of the work is done. Seats are upholstered in red leather. Interior trim still needs some work, final assembly.

I have just recieved a "post bag" with the (2) sump plugs in it.

Bj.