1928 Hupp Model A Coupe Upholstery

Hupp36

A while ago I received a call from a  fellow member of the Hupp Club.  He said that a new member needed help getting his Hupp running.   We  got it running.  Then he said to me that he was  told that I made new upholstery for 4 of my own cars.   I told him that I was a novice at upholstery, not an EXPERT.  He said that he did not want to have the  car judged so it did not require an  expert to do the work.   I started on the passenger seat.    I am happy with the outcome.   This seat has a foot in the back that sits on the floor.   It also folds to the front to allow the passenger to climb into the back seat.   

PS. the wife says you are 80 years old,  I think you should make this your last upholstery job.

DSCN2550.JPG

DSCN2551.JPG

DSCN2553.JPG

DSCN2552.JPG

• 1 month later...

Well, I  am  slowing down  a little,  but  the  day  has  finally  come,  the  seats are  done. Not  having any  spare  material, I  made a  cover out of another material to  know  where    had to

make  some  cuts. I  am  glad  I did  as  I  only had  a 2 ft.  square left over. Here  is  a pic of  the sample cover.   The  other  pic  are the  rest of the  seats.

DSCN2573.JPG

DSCN2604.JPG

DSCN2607.JPG

That is absolutely the correct color. In the books the original color was named MOUSE! I wish I could do my own upholstery work. I have the ability to install pre-made covers but that is about it. I own a 1928 Hupp 4dr sedan with just springs so I will have to do something if I restore this one. I also noted from past posts you have a WK 64, I also have a couple of them but they are 1924.

Edited by JFranklin (see edit history)

Here is the  1929 Hupp  4 dr.  sedan  I  did in  2008. It  was  easier than  the  coupe,  less curves. I  still have  my  1928 4 dr. Hupp to  do, its on the  back  burner.

1929 Hupp 007.JPG

1929 Hupp 008.JPG

1929 Hupp 010.JPG

I am impressed with your work.  I have sewn on a sewing machine probably less than 30 minutes total in my life but within the next week I plan to start on the interior of my 29 Hupp which at present there is none.  Any advice?

I  know its  more  expense but I  would use  real wool,  not  synthetic material. Real wool  tends  to  not  pucker  and  wrinkle as  easy. When  I  did my  first car  20  years  ago  I  bought  this  book. How  to  restore Auto Upholstery by John  Martin Lee. It  has  been  a  great help.  Feel  free to  PM me,  I think I  may  have  some  pic  that  will  help  you. Chuck  M

4 hours ago, Hupp36 said:

I  know its  more  expense but I  would use  real wool,  not  synthetic material. Real wool  tends  to  not  pucker  and  wrinkle as  easy. When  I  did my  first car  20  years  ago  I  bought  this  book. How  to  restore Auto Upholstery by John  Martin Lee. It  has  been  a  great help.  Feel  free to  PM me,  I think I  may  have  some  pic  that  will  help  you. Chuck  M

Thanks I will look for a supplier for the real wool.  First call will be to Miami Rubber in Cincinnati since that is local to me.  I will check on the book also.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have the  headliner finished for  the  1928  Hupp   Coupe, no pic  as  its  just  2  yards of  material with 4 seams with  attaching strips to  tack to

the cross  braces on  the  inside of  the  people compartment.  Now  I  can  finish  painting my  front  fenders  for  the  1928  4  dr. Hupp  sedan.

When I was a kid, my family had a 1929 Hupp model S (later owned by another member of the Hupmobile club from the greater Dayton, Ohio area), with original wool "mohair" interior. My parents worried constantly about moth damage while they owned it.

Years later, after the next owner had owned the car for some time, I had a chance to see the car again, and to look inside. But he had protected that wool material with mothballs....LOTS of mothballs. The smell nearly asphyxiated me, and certainly kept me from crawling inside for a sit. 

I haven't ever made an interior for an antique car, so I'm certainly no expert. But if I were to consider original style "mohair" fabric...I would want to include the moth factor into the decision table. 

Lump, I  just  have to  know.  One of the  members of the  Hupp club that  was  started  in 1970.  In the  early  days he  had  a  1929  Hupp model S  4dr.  sedan. The  thing  that got me  thinking is  he  lived in Beaver  Creek close to  Dayton. It  may  be  a coincidence. He  served as  the Hupp Club parts  locator  for  many  years. The  model  S  Hupp  was  one  of his  first  cars,  later  he  restored a 1928 Hupp roadster and  a 1935 Hupp model  D  sedan. He  passed  a few  years ago. His  name was Don  Roetman   Do  you  know if  it  was  Don that had the  car  you  were talking about?

On 2/19/2021 at 11:33 PM, Hupp36 said:

Lump, I  just  have to  know.  One of the  members of the  Hupp club that  was  started  in 1970.  In the  early  days he  had  a  1929  Hupp model S  4dr.  sedan. The  thing  that got me  thinking is  he  lived in Beaver  Creek close to  Dayton. It  may  be  a coincidence. He  served as  the Hupp Club parts  locator  for  many  years. The  model  S  Hupp  was  one  of his  first  cars,  later  he  restored a 1928 Hupp roadster and  a 1935 Hupp model  D  sedan. He  passed  a few  years ago. His  name was Don  Roetman   Do  you  know if  it  was  Don that had the  car  you  were talking about?

Sorry for delayed reply. I hadn't realized you had responded.

Yes, it was definitely Don Roetman. I just didn't use his name before, so no one would think I was criticizing his "excessive use of mothballs." 

My parents bought that 29 Hupp Model S sedan in 1959...a year before I began kindergarten. The first photo below is my Mom, at about age 26. (I'm actually standing behind her in that photo). That car was reliable and fun, and we took it to many antique car club events. 2nd photo is an early car show/swap meet event, I believe. (My Dad is seated on a milk crate at left in that pic). Third photo is me on the running board with my cowboy hat, circa 1961. 

As much as Mom and Dad loved that Hupp, they really longed for an open car. So they sold it to a local guy named Bob Heller, and replaced it with a 29 Model A Ford rumble seat roadster. Yet they had become solid partisan Hupmobile enthusiasts, so when someone made them a nice offer on that Ford, they sold it and searched until they found the 1923 Model R-12 touring car which I still have today (they bought it in July of 1962). Don bought the 29 Hupp Model S sedan from Mr Heller, I believe. 

One more note of interest: Don Roetman also owned one other Hupmobile (besides the three you mentioned). It was a 1928 Model M 8 cylinder 4- door sedan with wire wheels. He restored it with gray body and yellow wheels. (I saw it again this past year with its new owner when the 2020 Hupmobile Nationals event came to Dayton, Ohio). The interesting thing about this fact is that my parents owned THAT car too, before Don Roetman. Dad found it as a non-running project car, brought it home, and got it running. My young wife and I wanted to buy it, but Dad used his better judgment and sold the car to Don. The color photos are of that car, the day Dad trailered it home. 

Back to your original question: My friends in the wholesale automotive upholstery fabric business years ago told me that synthetic Mohair was a much better choice, since it is impervious to moths...hence my "mothballs" story about the Model S...

Hupp 29 model S with Pat Wirth.jpg

scan0058.jpg

scan0054.jpg

Hupp 28 Model M Bill Wirth found.jpg

Hupp 28 Bill Wirth inspects new arrival.jpg

Hupp 28 Grandma Wirths Belmont OH.jpg

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am  just  about  speechless,  all I  can  say  is  thank  you  very  much. Don  Roetman was  very  instrumental in  making the  Hupmobile Club a  success. With  his  help in  getting  parts  and  literature to  our members  for  many  years..  Me  being a member , a charter member  when the  club  started in 1970 I have been on over  10 Hupp club  tours  all over the  USA  and  Canada. It  was always  great  to  see Don  and Ethel until he  passed away.  Thank  you again for  the  great  memories.

You know, my parents may also have been "charter members" of the Hupmobile club. I know they were members for quite a while, having bought their last antique car (my 23 Hupp touring) in 1962. And they were killed in a tragic automobile accident in 1978. So if they weren't charter members, then they were at least "early" members. Their names were James "Bill" and Pat Wirth, of Dayton, Ohio in 1970, and Beavercreek, Ohio at the time of their demise. You might check an old roster, or something. 

If so, I ASSUME that I too was considered a "member," as the minor child of our family. Cheers! 

I  am  truly sorry  to  hear that happened. I  do  remember  their name, but  never met  them in person.  And  yes, us  Hupmobile members believe  strongly in  family, you  were  a member. When I  get  back  up  north I  will search  all my  Hupp Heralds which is  our club magazine. They had  some  early annual meetings with  pic in the  Heralds, I  will see  what  I  can  find.  Thank  you  again . The  N.H. Hupp Nutt, Chuck  Moore                  

Edited by Hupp36 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Chuck, 

I'm not sure if Mom and Dad were ever at a Hupp Nationals event. They didn't have a lot of financial strength, and rarely made the "dream trips" they wished for (IE: They were never able to attend Hershey). But if you find an old roster, they will probably be listed there. I have some old copies of HUPP HERALDS, etc. I'll try to dig those out, and see if I can find any relevant interesting info. Cheers! 

Well,  I  was in the  same shape  as  your  mom  and  dad, I  never  made  a lot of  money,  my  wealth was  in  friends  and  a great  family. Thank  you for  the  good  chat. I  know  i got off the topic, but it  was  truly worth it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I will be  taking  the interior for  Jeff's Hupmobile coupe down to  Lake  Whales this  Saturday  and  deliver it  to  him. There  is  also  a train  park  where  I  will get to  ride  a small  train  made  like the  full  size  train's. Jeff  and  his  son Jacob are  both  engineer's and  have there  own  trains.  It  will  be a new  experience for  me. As  a kid  growing up in  a house  that was on  a bank  25 ft. from the  railroad tracks. I  used to  walk  down the  tracks to  the  Lakeport station  and  catch the paper train to  Meredith 6  days a week  to  work in the  Meredith Laundry for  a summer job.  25 cents one  way.

Edited by Hupp36
missing data (see edit history)

Interior all  loaded, ready  to  rock  and  roll tomorrow  morning. I  will post  some  pic of the  train  ride, I  am  81 but I  am  just  as  excited to do  this  as  a 6 year  old would  be.

DSCN2622.JPG

DSCN2623.JPG

• Like 1

Had a great day at lake  Whales Ridge  Live  Steamers. The  live  steamer I  road  on  took me  back  to  y  early  teens, It  smells like  a big  train,  sounds  like  a big  train, more  fun  than a big  train. By  the  way,  Jeff  loved  the  upholstery  work. 

DSCN2628.JPG

DSCN2624.JPG

DSCN2625.JPG

Jeff  and  Jacob installed the  seats, need to  install the  door  panels , rear  side  panels and  headliner.  Another  Hupmobile  almost  ready  for  the  road.

IMG_2858.jpg

Jeff, you  will  need to  remove the side  and rear panels. The  ones over  the doors  and  front  header over the  windshield. Then you  will be  ready  to  install the  headliner. Its  marked  front  and  back. Start in the  back, then  the come  forward, If the  guy that  made the  headliner did  his  job. (Me)just  staple the  tacking  strips  to the  cross roof  slats. If  you  get  into  trouble  call  me.