1960 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 options

djwlz

To all of you '60 Olds experts out there.....Could you get a sceni-coupe with the 260 horsepower engine, power steering and synchromesh.  Also, I am not sure how they got 260 HP from 240 HP, when the only thing that was changed was one point in the compression ratio?  Unless it has a different cam, and 4 barrel carburetor.

Thx

DJW

On 12/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, djwlz said:

To all of you '60 Olds experts out there.....Could you get a sceni-coupe with the 260 horsepower engine, power steering and synchromesh.  Also, I am not sure how they got 260 HP from 240 HP, when the only thing that was changed was one point in the compression ratio?  Unless it has a different cam, and 4 barrel carburetor.

Thx

DJW

DJW, unfortunately I don't have a spec book the Oldsmobile in question but I do have all the spec on all Pontiac so please consider this;

A 1960 389" Pontiac that uses the same cam, cylinder head and valve size.

a 389" engine of 230HP  1-2bbl carb at 7.8 compression   

a 389" engine of 283HP  1-2bbl carb at 10.25  compression

a 389" engine of 303HP  1-4bbl carb at  10.25 compression

The first two = a 52HP gain from 7.8 to 10.25 add a third engine with a 4bbl and another 20HP.   All with the same head and valves, same 472 camshaft.  The difference is dished pistons for the 7.8 compression engine. The 283 and 303HP engines use flat top with valve reliefs and the only difference with them is a 4bbl Carb.

Compression makes a huge difference.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

I can tell you that in 1960 one could definitely get a synchromesh tranny in the full-size Olds.  How do I know?  I owned one; a Super 88 SceniCoupe.  It had the 394 with a 4 bbl carb and manual brakes.