Interesting comment from Hagerty

image.thumb.png.c7b5942b79d6e060cd2ad5ba346cc3b2.png

If one is to believe Hagerty's Data, some 1980s vehicles appear to be appreciating in value a LOT more than what some people may know, acknowledge, realize or accept. Maybe Hagerty needs a new list not just for a year but for a decade or more?

FYI, the top line is a Condition #1, then #2, #3 & #4.

On 12/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, alsancle said:

There is an ass for every seat.  I had one of these in College and it is on my bucket list.   "1980 Camaro Z28 350 Four Speed in Blue/Silver"   There are plenty of Z28s but to get every checkbox in that quoted string is almost impossible.   The car below was sold by RK motors before I was paying attention.  Have not seen another since.

136022 1980 Chevrolet Camaro RK Motors Classic Cars and Muscle Cars for Sale

Close enough? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-chevrolet-camaro-z-28-7/

3 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Close but no cigar.  80 vs 79,  wrong secondary color and in 80 you had optional wheels.

There are lots of them but I’ve only seen a single example of the one.

I totally get it. The right car is the right car and everything else is wrong. I just bought a '67 Eldorado because I've been wanting one and once I had it, I realized that the '68 I really wanted is actually what I really wanted. Must be a '68.

Think of how weird that would seem to an outside observer who doesn't know the hobby--two outwardly identical cars but one is the one you want and the other is a hard pass. How weird are we?

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

I totally get it. The right car is the right car and everything else is wrong. I just bought a '67 Eldorado because I've been wanting one and once I had it, I realized that the '68 I really wanted is actually what I really wanted. Must be a '68.

Think of how weird that would seem to an outside observer who doesn't know the hobby--two outwardly identical cars but one is the one you want and the other is a hard pass. How weird are we?

I only consider myself weird because I want a steam car and I’m friends with Ed.

But now you have piqued my curiosity.  What is the difference between 67 and 68?

I have fond memories of lighting the front wheels up on a 69 outside my girlfriend house back around 1982.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

But now you have piqued my curiosity.  What is the difference between 67 and 68?

1967 still uses the 429 while they introduced the 472 in 1968. The 429, now that I have one, feels... fragile, somehow. It's subtle and I'm not sure how to describe it, but the 472 never feels like it's working very hard while the 429 makes a lot of noise but not a lot of thrust. Plus I like the 1968 parking lights moved to the front edge of the fenders from the bumpers. When this '67 arrived, I thought someone had removed the parking lights because there are plugs on the leading edges that are exactly the same shape as the parking lights. But no, that's how it came from the factory.

Also, front disc brakes became standard in 1968. Probably a good idea on a 5000 pound car.

I bought the '67 because of propinquity--it was nearby and available and I wanted one so I ignored all my own advice and jumped at it. It isn't a color I would have chosen (bright red with white). I want a black 68 with no vinyl top. On the upside, this f*cker goes through snow better than our 3/4-ton 4x4 Suburban and everything works.

So I simply must have a black '68. I'll find this '67 a new home pretty easily, I think.

Eldo1.thumb.jpg.19913a9372d3cb8794b87d06cc3553e8.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2
31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

1967 still uses the 429 while they introduced the 472 in 1968. The 429, now that I have one, feels... fragile, somehow. It's subtle and I'm not sure how to describe it, but the 472 never feels like it's working very hard while the 429 makes a lot of noise but not a lot of thrust. Plus I like the 1968 parking lights moved to the front edge of the fenders from the bumpers. When this '67 arrived, I thought someone had removed the parking lights because there are plugs on the leading edges that are exactly the same shape as the parking lights. But no, that's how it came from the factory.

Also, front disc brakes became standard in 1968. Probably a good idea on a 5000 pound car.

I bought the '67 because of propinquity--it was nearby and available and I wanted one so I ignored all my own advice and jumped at it. It isn't a color I would have chosen (bright red with white). I want a black 68 with no vinyl top. On the upside, this f*cker goes through snow better than our 3/4-ton 4x4 Suburban and everything works.

So I simply must have a black '68. I'll find this '67 a new home pretty easily, I think.

Eldo1.thumb.jpg.19913a9372d3cb8794b87d06cc3553e8.jpg

I’m not showing that to my old man.  White walls and a chrome cap for the hood peak and we are back to my youth.

I agree with you that the 472 was a mans motor.

I had a 67 Eldo for a couple of years, only problem was a leaky QJ inlet and the floors that read "No Parking" on one side and "70 mph" on the other. Great car, think I paid $750 for it. Also chose my current home plan because was the only one with a garage big enough for a '67 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special Brougham. Have always thought 67 was a very good year for GM. By 68 the Feds were involved.