Cleaning Garage day. Wish me luck!

Being faced with the same clean up as you yes I'm lucky to have this chore also.

It's just the other distractions needed to be done at the same time that take a little of the enjoyment out of it but as I used to say to Dad, "Getting there is half the fun".

Keep us posted Ted.

20201113_140253.thumb.jpg.f23808ef74d76b7202cb566652cd209e.jpg

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dei said:

Being faced with the same clean up as you yes I'm lucky to have this chore also.

It's just the other distractions needed to be done at the same time that take a little of the enjoyment out of it but as I used to say to Dad, "Getting there is half the fun".

Keep us posted Ted.

20201113_140253.thumb.jpg.f23808ef74d76b7202cb566652cd209e.jpg

All I can say is "WOW".  I would never disrespect you by calling you a hoarder...but...Good God Gert!!😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Good news from Cincinnati- cleared the workbench mess and Isle 1, swept the floor and had some motivation to get my power window motors ready to 

go back in the Electra.  I take them apart, clean and lube, then hook up a battery to kinda break them in again.  A good day.  

I've got to address s couple interior items - foam headliner and cardboard package tray.  Both are not reproduced so I've a fun bit of learning to make these on my own.

IMG_2725.jpeg

• Like 2

I could also use a helper.  But as a Buick Hoarder every little nut must be precious and saved.  

Here is a project for the garage- we used this chain hoist at our old Flour Mill in Pyrmont, OH.

In milling we use steel rolls to grind the wheat.  They have corrugations that get dull and they must be changed 

about every year...and there were like 24 roll stands with 2 pairs in each stand.  

The best people could change 3 - 4 pairs before noon on a Saturday.  We used this hoist to pull the rolls out.  

Later on we got an electric one but this one still worked just fine.  I blasted and painted it last fall.

IMG_2606.jpeg

IMG_2608.jpeg

• Like 5

I've ridden one of those in a peanut mill. One should pay attention, as it is not a great feeling to feel your hand holding on going over the top roller!😳 Luckily the guy I was following noticed I did not get off at the top floor and pushed the E-Stop button.

Yes, that is possible if the safety off was not working!  We ran this machine a long time with very few incidents.  Inspected every month by the city it seems like.  One bad one was when old Joe went over the top.  
Joe was the guy that told me he would hunt and eat squirrel.  One day I asked him how that was going...

he replied “momma won’t let me eat them squirrel brains anymore!”  
I’ve not yet penned the song that will contain that lyric...mad squirrel disease...

• Haha 3

Spent the morning with the HVAC guy.  Heater hangs from the ceiling  and I borrowed the forklift basket from work. 

@ 2 hours in he needs a pressure switch, I need coffee, so we have a break.  Pressure switch is not at the

store( why the phone call did not reveal this info!)   we try to steal a part from the unused unit on side 2. 

That requires dad's Regal, the Wildcat convertible and the 68 convertible to be moved so we can get access

to unit 2.  I drive him over in the forklift basket and as I'm lifting the forklift dies.  Out of fuel!  2020 strikes again! 

I hop in my truck and as it starts raining on the convertibles, I go to work to trade the empty fuel tank out.  I am laughing,

this year has been a great challenge and I am lucky to be working on this one and having my cars get wet and

not anything else.  I get a call from work - wheat market is up and we were trying to buy some before that happened! 

Finally all systems checked out electric-ok, gas ok ...still fires, runs for 60 seconds then shuts off.  He pulls the flue pipe and Eureka!  BIRDs nest mess.

I get out my ladder and up on the roof in the rain, I break the flue off and find the rest of the nest.  FURNACE WORKING FINE NOW!  

Happy New Year!  I hope all of you have a great holiday and look forward to a double National- Charlotte with my 89 yo father. 

Cheers, Ted 

IMG_2754.JPG

12oz-Braxton-Garage-Lager-Beer-can-Braxton-Brewing (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Happy New Years to you also Ted.

Not to detract from your thread but I too have used a belt stair lift like you posted a picture of earlier.

It is still in the tower at Hiram Walkers (Canadian Club distiller) on the Detroit River in Walkerville, Ontario (Windsor).

Never got close to going over the top as it had a rope beside the belt that was attached to a stop/start switch. Pulling it down stopped it and naturally lifting it up started it.

Can say though, working in that plant smelling the corn mash with a hang over cured me for a loong time of drinking too much whisky on the rocks! 😝🤫

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All the Passenger Elevators have that rope control.  Pull in the direction one is going to stop.  and PAY ATTENTION as with all endeavors :)

The rope turns off the motor and activated the brake.  For many years ours had a brake with shoes acting on the outside of a drum -part of the manufacturer's 

design- later we were required to use a motor with an integrated brake.  I have the over the top prevention brake activator in my garage, an additional memento of our "old Days"

as Flour Millers in Cincinnati.  Speaking of Distilleries, the Seagram's (https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/high-spirits-blog/mgp-ingredients-lawrenceburg/)

Distillery building is very prominent in Lawrenceburg IN.  I like it because it calls out 1857 as their inception- same as we claim for Brighton Mills. 

IMG_20181003_115925.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the goals of the Cleaning was to free up a space for this 65 Wildcat that has been in a restoration shop- it came home last week 

and it is looking pretty.   One of the goals for this was to honor the previous owner by getting it done and sharing his story.

I will have to make a separate post regarding that - with more pictures of course!

IMG_2838.jpeg

IMG_2848.jpeg

• Like 6