1954 Plymouth Savoy hood stuck

I’m having issue with my hood latch. I was able to get it to open before with no issues, now it won’t open at all, there is 1 spring loaded latch an there is the one 2 hook latch. The spring loaded latch works fine and clears the pin but the 2 hook latch won’t budge, and I don’t know why. It doesn’t seem like there is a cable release. I’ve tried putting some weight on top and on the front of the hood as well with no luck. Can anybody help please? Sorry for the bad pics, this forum wouldn’t let me upload high resolution pics

AF80AFC4-8D6C-4579-8CDE-A3D56B946E72.png

FA62F42A-53E8-4D0C-8D18-B5C38D715562.png

21 hours ago, Youngclassiccarowner said:

I’m having issue with my hood latch. I was able to get it to open before with no issues, now it won’t open at all, there is 1 spring loaded latch an there is the one 2 hook latch. The spring loaded latch works fine and clears the pin but the 2 hook latch won’t budge, and I don’t know why. It doesn’t seem like there is a cable release. I’ve tried putting some weight on top and on the front of the hood as well with no luck. Can anybody help please? Sorry for the bad pics, this forum wouldn’t let me upload high resolution pics

AF80AFC4-8D6C-4579-8CDE-A3D56B946E72.png

FA62F42A-53E8-4D0C-8D18-B5C38D715562.png

If I am reading this correctly the main latch is opening, the hood will come up a couple of inches, then is held by the safety latch? You need to feel around in the gap between the hood and body for the lever that releases it. Not sure where it is on a 54 Plymouth, sometimes they are in the grille area but usually they attach to the hood.

• Like 1

Can you get in there with some spray-lube of some sort? I'd try to oil the tar out of it, while moving it around as much as possible so that the lubricant can work into all the nooks. I've seen plenty of latches, including on late model cars, that had just grown too dry to work.

I have seen hoods bind up in the latch, because they are out of alignment. Latch is working fine, and releasing. But hood pin is under pressure, and spring around pin is not strong enough to pop up the hood. Spray some WD40 around hood pin, release latch. And try pushing hood backwards, or side to side. If hood pin gets bent, it can really bind up once it gets forced into the latch.