1965 Corvette Convertible for sale in BaT

This one is interesting.  The owner says he purchased it 2 years ago as a disassembled project car.  It appears the serial number tag may have been replaced.  Rivet heads presently used on the tag are smaller than imprints from previous rivets used, and the tag does not appear to be laying flat.  To me this would be a huge red flag, unless other numbers on the car match.  There is a frame number somewhere...I just can't remember off the top of my head where it is without looking it up.  Comments regarding the car are interesting as well.  One claims the serial number references a build date of 11-27-64, but the trim tag references a build date of 3-28-65.  Tach redlines at 6500 rpm, which was only used with 396 engines.  The seller states the car has a replacement 327.  Why would someone put a 327 in an original 396 car?  Again, as Dr. Spock would say to Capt. Kirk, "Highly illogical."  Bidding ends in 5 days and is currently at $20k.

1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 4-Speed for sale on BaT Auctions - ending December 16 (Lot #40,546) | Bring a Trailer

• Like 1

If all the gauges have not been changed at some point, this could have been a high horse small block car. It has the small block hood and the 60 lb oil gauge, 396 cars used an 80 lb gauge. 365 & 375 hp 327's also had the 6,500 red line tach.

There is a VIN stamped on the top of the frame rail near body mount number 4. 

1929246063_framevin2.jpg.c2754f3d218d51359a3de9fb1f14eda8.jpg

But this is only useful if the frame has not been replaced, which is a common part of the restoration process if the car came from a wet, rust prone area. This stamping is usually pretty light and difficult to see even under good circumstances.  If it has been removed, rusted away, painted over, it's just another usable frame.

As you can see here, they are difficult to see with the body installed:

1926055613_framevin.gif.02506dea8652a8c6b61d7e1a01e92869.gif

At the end of the day, this will never really be an investment grade car with this tag combination, but it's a good year/model in a great color combination so it will find a home with somebody who just wants a great looking Corvette and doesn't care about the whole numbers game.  $20K will get you a basket case, entry level C2 Corvette so I'd guess this car is going to sell around the $30-35K mark.  All it needs is someone smart enough to correct the trim tag so it matches the VIN dates and all the sins will be forgotten.

The car certainly has some issues re: tags but if no car comes up as stolen under that same VIN, where's the tort?

If I could buy it at the current price of $20K I'd be all over it.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Really good looking car for $20k. As long as it's not a stolen car, re tagged. The white seatwould be nice in the summer with the top down. By the looks of the amount of work put into the chassis, interior, engine and body I'd say it will bring $40K or close.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ed Luddy said:

Really good looking car for $20k. As long as it's not a stolen car, re tagged. The white seatwould be nice in the summer with the top down. By the looks of the amount of work put into the chassis, interior, engine and body I'd say it will bring $40K or close.

I was thinking somewhere between $35-40k...unless bidders get cold feet because of the numbers issues.  If it is legit, the seller would be far better off right now to get a picture of the frame number and post it.  Sure would be a b*tch to spend whatever for it and have it 'repossessed' when trying to register it.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, George Cole said:

I was thinking somewhere between $35-40k...unless bidders get cold feet because of the numbers issues.  If it is legit, the seller would be far better off right now to get a picture of the frame number and post it.  Sure would be a b*tch to spend whatever for it and have it 'repossessed' when trying to register it.

Yes I agree. Post the frame #'s now. I remember seeing a C2 at the USA/Canada border years ago that was in the impound yard due to wonky #'s and a very belligerent buyer arguing with the Custom's officer. 

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, Ed Luddy said:

Yes I agree. Post the frame #'s now. I remember seeing a C2 at the USA/Canada border years ago that was in the impound yard due to wonky #'s and a very belligerent buyer arguing with the Custom's officer. 

Once it's been impounded, arguing with a Custom's officer is a waste of time...unless you can come up with additional supporting paperwork.  Otherwise, the only recourse is with a lawyer, through a judge.

On 12/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, GregLaR said:

....this could have been a high horse small block car...365 & 375 hp 327's...

Wow! I had no idea Chevy offered such 327 engines. Only in Corvette, I presume? Thanks for the education!

I love the car. Also, it isn't often I like aftermarket wheels on cool cars like this, but whatever that set is looks great. (And more importantly, NOT out of place.)

• Like 1

Meh, I don't think there's anything fishy there. Everyone gets skittish about the rivets, but I'd say nearly half the Corvettes I've seen have replacement rivets holding their tags on. For reasons I can't understand, guys just can't resist taking those off when they restore a car. They do it with the Chrysler fender tags, too. They just can't leave them alone. But i don't think that suggests that this car is stolen. If the title matches the tag, you've got good title unless you have some inspector who's a real hardcase (so you should go find someone else to inspect it). The DMV isn't going to look at the rivets and wonder about them and nobody's going to ask you to take it apart to see the frame number. I think owning this car is safe. 

I sold two similar cars both in the $40-45,000 range:

1964 327/300 4-speed:

013.jpg

1965 327/300 4-speed (I LOVED this car):

013.jpg

That said, L79 Corvette is still best Corvette. 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Meh, I don't think there's anything fishy there. Everyone gets skittish about the rivets, but I'd say nearly half the Corvettes I've seen have replacement rivets holding their tags on. For reasons I can't understand, guys just can't resist taking those off when they restore a car. They do it with the Chrysler fender tags, too. They just can't leave them alone. But i don't think that suggests that this car is stolen. If the title matches the tag, you've got good title unless you have some inspector who's a real hardcase (so you should go find someone else to inspect it). The DMV isn't going to look at the rivets and wonder about them and nobody's going to ask you to take it apart to see the frame number. I think owning this car is safe. 

Totally correct.

I have also seen these tags removed/replaced on many cars without explanation.   It just happens.   And you're right, DMV doesn't care, if the VIN doesn't come up anywhere else, all is good.

Only problem I see with the car George posted is that the trim tag and VIN tag do not agree on dates.  One or the other has been changed.  VIN is almost certainly clean so I would correct the trim tag without batting an eye; problem solved, instantly $45K + car.

• Like 1

Not actual picture of the car. The pictures where I bought the car is. I bought a 65 British Racing green roadster fuel car in 74 when I got back from Nam. It was sitting in front of this printing place  that still in business today on my garbage route in Redford Township MI.  I was a garbage man. LOL 1800.00. I put 10.00 for a deposit to hold the car until the next day to do a withdraw from my employees credit union. I had 1500 from the NAVY separation pay and had to borrow the rest. 

FB_IMG_1537657967015.jpg

FB_IMG_1537657974879.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1