Wanted - Splitdorf Model D Low Tension Magneto

cudaman

Hello, my 1912 Flanders 20 uses a Splitdorf Model D low tension magneto with separate coil/condenser unit.  Apparently it doesn't work, because the previous owner had bypassed most of the magneto and was running the ignition with a 6 volt Group 1 storage battery.

I bought another magneto on Ebay, but it arrived damaged, the cast zinc case broke into two pieces, see pics.  Fortunately, the seller will give me a full refund if I return the damaged magneto.

Does someone here have another magneto they would be willing to sell?  Thanks!

IMG_7989.JPG

IMG_7990.JPG

IMG_7991.JPG

Edited by cudaman
Removed reference to buying just a case. (see edit history)

• cudaman changed the title to Wanted - Splitdorf Model D Low Tension Magneto
  • 3 weeks later...

Update - I did get a full refund from the seller after returning the broken magneto.  I did have to pay for the return shipping.

Such a shame, but the weak pot metal web is a design flaw.  :(

Out in storage I believe I have these 2 Splitdorf magnetos, Model A and O.

Part you need may interchange.

Let me know if you are interested.

Shipping magnetos is the worst, both fragile and HEAVY. They require exceptional packaging and most shippers are not up to the job, many buyers are not willing to pay for the extra time and costs either.

splitdorf model a b.JPG

splitdorf mag model o b.jpg

Thanks Layden, I don't need them right now, but I'll keep them in mind.  The Splitdorf model D on my Flanders appears to be complete, it may just need to have its magnets recharged.  Or, perhaps the magneto is OK but the high tension transformer and condenser are bad.

• 4 months later...

Correction/update - after careful comparison of my magneto with the photos in the Flanders parts manual and a Splitdorf catalog, I have determined that the magneto on my car is a Splitdorf Model F.  Similar to the Model D, but slightly smaller.  Sorry for the mix-up.

Thanks for the offer.  It's possible that my current magneto is operational, I just haven't run the car yet.  I'm mainly looking for a spare at this point.

Update - turns out I lucked out, the Splitdorf Model F magneto that came with my 1912 Flanders works!  Here is a video of me starting the car on battery, then switching to magneto:

Edited by cudaman (see edit history)