IPC goes blank sometimes? (not a "00 ERROR" issue)

Josh B.

Hey all. I'm having an occasional issue where the IPC (1990) goes blank or starts off blank when I first turn on the car, but it seems (?) to turn back on after the car runs for a bit. Though it's tough to say for sure because I use it as a daily driver, but it's short trips. I only live 3 minutes from work. It did it Saturday night when I let her warm up after work. Started blank, turned on for a minute, back off, then back on a minute or five later and stayed on.

Now when I say blank, I don't mean blank except for the "ERROR" and "00" showing up. I had that issue once and it turned out the key was dirty. Cleaned it and haven't had that happen since. I mean the IPC goes completely blank except for the idiot lights. Seems strange, not sure what would be causing it. Although it does seem to happen more often now that it's colder, but that could be coincidental.

Any ideas?

I assume you're talking about the ECC module? Yeah, it works fine. The only display seeming to malfunction is the IPC. When I have time I'll probably check the connection from the IPC and see how well it's making contact. I suppose it's possible the cold weather is making the contacts contract enough to briefly disconnect, but I would think the idiot lights wouldn't work either (one of the idiot lights is on all the time, I can't remember which one at the moment). But I'm not versed at all on the inner working of the IPC enough to make that assumption.

I may just see about getting another IPC to be on the safe side. I have a short enough drive to work I'm not super worried about my speed, but I'd rather be able to see my gauges lol

IMO it does sound like a connection problem, but IPC's do go bad...its a 30 year old part.  Check out the Reatta vendors at the top of this forum as they most likely will have a replacement for you in their inventory.

Also, the 90-93 Riviera used the same IPC.  So, you might be able to pick up one at a local junk yard, or go to www.car-part.com which is a nation-wide online junk yard web site. 

There is no one simple answer to the question.    It could be a cracked land on the PC board that makes contact as the inside of the car warms. 

Check connections.... 

I would pull the IPC and clean the connector......I remember one owner that was fighting this problem and his solution was to shim the connector that the IPC plugs into...... out a little so it would make better contact and it worked for his problem.

All the signals for the IPC come from the BCM which is mounted behind the glove box... it has 3 big connectors,  unplug, spray with contact cleaner and replug may solve the problem. 

If it does happen to be internal to the IPC....  1990 - 1993 Riviera used the same IPC and Rivieras are easier to find in salvage yards than Reattas. 

Vendors like Jim Finn will have working used one........ 

BBA  Reman in Taunton MA  repair the IPC.... last I heard for around $100  their phone number = 866-573-2740  ...web site = us-shop.bba-reman.com

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dship said:

IMO it does sound like a connection problem, but IPC's do go bad...its a 30 year old part.  Check out the Reatta vendors at the top of this forum as they most likely will have a replacement for you in their inventory.

Also, the 90-93 Riviera used the same IPC.  So, you might be able to pick up one at a local junk yard, or go to www.car-part.com which is a nation-wide online junk yard web site. 

Yeah, I was thinking connection as well, but as you said, it's 30 years old so I fully expect the possibility it has just gone bad and needs repair/replacement. Wasn't aware of the car-part.com site. I'll definitely check that out. I appreciate it, dship :) 

16 hours ago, Barney Eaton said:

There is no one simple answer to the question.    It could be a cracked land on the PC board that makes contact as the inside of the car warms. 

Check connections.... 

I would pull the IPC and clean the connector......I remember one owner that was fighting this problem and his solution was to shim the connector that the IPC plugs into...... out a little so it would make better contact and it worked for his problem.

All the signals for the IPC come from the BCM which is mounted behind the glove box... it has 3 big connectors,  unplug, spray with contact cleaner and replug may solve the problem. 

If it does happen to be internal to the IPC....  1990 - 1993 Riviera used the same IPC and Rivieras are easier to find in salvage yards than Reattas. 

Vendors like Jim Finn will have working used one........ 

BBA  Reman in Taunton MA  repair the IPC.... last I heard for around $100  their phone number = 866-573-2740  ...web site = us-shop.bba-reman.com

Good to know I'm not the only one who has had this exact issue. I'll have to root around this weekend when I have plenty of time in daylight to fiddle with it. Might get around to checking those connectors before work some day this week. Fingers crossed a shim will help. I will definitely hit up Jim and or BBA Reman if needed. Thanks a bunch for the info, Barney :) 

• Like 1