difference between 1931 buick models 80 and 90

crazycars

I'm no expert.......if memory serves me, length of chassis. Bodies were shorter in the doors I think..........but over the years, Series 80 & 90 were very closely related.

I believe the 1931 Buick Series 80 had a 124-inch wheelbase. The Series 90 had a 132-inch wheelbase. The 90 Series cars were always somewhat larger than the 80, although the 80 often offered a greater variety of body styles, particularly in later years when the 90/Limited was just big 4-door sedans.

Personally, I like the 80 Series cars because they're fantastic performers--same engine and brakes in a package that's considerably smaller and lighter. We had a '31 Model 81 that was delightful to drive.

Matt (and others) are correct about the wheelbase,  which is a pretty easy way of determining the series. 

Looking at the "Standard Catalog of Buick"   the 80 series only had two body styles in 1931.... a 2 dr coupe, and 4 dr sedan.......the 90 series had sedans, coupe, convertibles, and a limo ( 8 different bodies)

The latest Bugle has a very good article about the differences between 1931 and 1932.... Pete could probably write a book pointing out the differences between years,  maybe he will do that when he get time.