Lest we forget

RivNut

I was just talking with my mother, who was 10 years old at the time. She remembers listening to the President's "infamy" speech!  She was saying how they didn't have a phone, but they had a radio!  She also said how listening on the radio is better than watching on TV.

2 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

I can't speak to the Communists gifting this virus to the world, but the Pearl Harbor attack was the result of a dictator trying to grab power, and his followers willing to go along with the madness.  Sound familiar?

Actually, you’re incorrect.  Emperor Hirohito warned his military that it was a mistake to attack the United States, knowing that the Americans would not just give up Pacific islands, which is all Japan wanted.  The military prevailed, and attacked.

• Like 2

As some of you might already know, my dad was a Pearl Harbor survivor...Battleship Oklahoma...the ship that went belly up within 10 minutes of being hit by nine torpedoes.  Four hundred twenty nine shipmates were lost.  He was career Navy, 1936-1966, retired as SR. Chief Gunners Mate (E8).

Also, my mother's only brother was part of Patten's 3rd Army and was killed in the Ardennes, Battle of the Bulge. 

• Like 4

I had an uncle by marriage who was at Pearl Harbor who survived, Leonard Pott. He spent the rest of the war hunting U-boats in the Atlantic. Amazing people who knew what it meant to be an American. My Dad spent his time in the South Pacific including the occupation of Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My great-grand father served after the civil war and saw some action in the Lava Bed Wars in northern California and southern Oregon.  (He served but I'm not proud of the actions of the U.S. against the Native Americans.)  My grandfather joined the Army at 16 and fought in the Spanish-American War. My dad went off to enlist on December the 8th but was rejected because of an ulcer. But he returned home and moved with his wife to Wichita and built B-29s at the Boeing plant in Wichita. After the war, they returned to their home.  I think people from those generations gave to their country rather than taking from it.  As JFK said in his inauguration speech in 1961. Ask not......

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Point taken Chasander, I did not know that Joe had his share of deferments, like Cheney.  I do know that Joe never proclaimed with joy how he "fell in love" with Kim Jong Un,  and I never saw a Biden T-shirt which stated "I'd rather be Russian than a Republican".   Back in the day where I come from, that kind of talk would have gotten your ass kicked at best.

Rather be russian.jpg

• Like 1