Classic Advertising

Steve_Mack_CT

1931 Packard from the magazine El Automovil de Cuba for February , 1931.

Lots of American cars for sale in Havana pre war and their dealerships actively advertised in this magazine which was the monthly periodical of the Automobile Club of Cuba.

Some great stuff in the contents , many many dealers represented in Havana for sales of American cars, half of them were CCCA recognized classics. Look in the period images thread for the Lincoln show chassis  display of the new model K in 1931. This would make a great story .

CUBApackardad1931001.jpg

• Like 5

Love the action shot in the water.  Artist's renditions in the Classic era and immediate postwar era always make cars longer & lower, sometimes bigger.  This has always interested me.   

Most no doubt see that influence in vintage car toys of the era as well.  If my 48 Chevy coupe had the lines of the fairly common Manoil toy version of that car, it would be a very valuable car indeed! 😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, John Bloom said:

I think it is time for me to shop for a Fedora and break out the mustache............

Doesn’t work.........there is no chapeau that will stay on while driving a speedster with the top down.......been there, done that. 👍

592E5665-3F2B-4506-9EE4-A3638A2A22FC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doozer said:

“Throbbing with vitality”..........count me in!

According to the ad, “She deserves a Cord!” Personally, if it were up to me, I would give her something else.......🤔

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Doozer said:

How about something else......and a Cord🤗

Both very high maintenance propositions, that will surly tax you bank account. On the positive side, both will offer an above average ride.......... as it says on the case of Jack Daniels whiskey........”all goods worth price charged!” 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.f399a079278befb6edaed0029c7f9f7c.png

Reading about Marmon's early this morning.  It joggled my mind again about a question I've wondered. .......  When did the price of open Classics start to pull away from Closed Classics of the same model?  This Ad shows their pride in being able to sell you a closed car for not much more than an open one.  Had that concept flipped by the 1950's?  Earlier?  Later?  Now a 1930 long wheelbase closed classic might be 40K and the open version of the same platform could be 140K.......when did this separation of value first start to show up?

John, switch happened around the time AJ's dad started collecting....

Actually two different questions, I think.  One being when did open cars, price leaders at least until the early 30s for Classics and non Classics, begin to be an upscale choice when cars were new, second question, which I alluded to above, is when did the collector value differentiation get so sharp.

I know Model A guys used to say the exact same thing as the old gaurd CCCA guys.  MARC and CCCA were both formed around the same time, I suspect it's been that way since 1953.

As an aside, some threads on this in the general section, maybe 5 years old or more now.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's interesting how plain the cadillac ones were compared to their competition, I even have a copy of their "prestige" brochure from the early 20's and nothing fancy at all - the paper is probably the most luxury thing about it!

All of the images are signed Mizen for Fred Mizen who also apparently drew for Marmon as well

image.png.2ed0b6b58434c3c26e55f820db7faf24.png

image.png.c155110b27aab509a652581cdce9eb3f.png

(not sure this page would have made made people want to part with over $5000 when new....) 

image.png.6ef919e503ca10441f3a51b39783f5bc.png

The 1912's were even more plain jane - most of the ads I've collected are wall to wall text and just plain pictures of the car rather than the 'lifestyle' you see by the 20's

image.png.37f6adc266949cfa64dc46514a64e905.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Mark Huston said:

7BA1AE3C-20AB-4B2D-8BE7-F1A0702CC756.jpeg

There is something like two dozen different Duesenberg magazine advertisements. Many of them don’t have a picture of a car like this one. I think I have tomorrow in a drawer somewhere. I Should get around to framing and hanging them.

• 4 months later...

image.jpeg.3e75365082d32654dcca6ae27bfba2e5.jpegMy wife and I stayed in an old resort last weekend to celebrate our anniversary.   The restaurant at the resort made mention of “jackets suggested for Gentlemen “

now, I’m no gentleman but I can read and take a hint, so I wore a jacket to dinner. I was the only guy in the place who did.  A few woman dressed somewhat nicely, but the guys there looked like they stopped off for dinner on their way to the hardware store.  The resort was filled with period photographs of the resort and you were struck by how formal all the guest were in the photos. Men in suits, women dressed to the nines.......  it was truly a different era.....it was this era (see photo above).  

it reminded me if this great thread of classic advertising. No one had to suggest to these guys to wear a jacket to dinner. 

did I hear that ginger with the seductive look say “come hither”??..

who doesn’t love a Piece Towncar.......

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Bloom said:

image.jpeg.3e75365082d32654dcca6ae27bfba2e5.jpegMy wife and I stayed in an old resort last weekend to celebrate our anniversary.   The restaurant at the resort made mention of “jackets suggested for Gentlemen “

now, I’m no gentleman but I can read and take a hint, so I wore a jacket to dinner. I was the only guy in the place who did.  A few woman dressed somewhat nicely, but the guys there looked like they stopped off for dinner on their way to the hardware store.  The resort was filled with period photographs of the resort and you were struck by how formal all the guest were in the photos. Men in suits, women dressed to the nines.......  it was truly a different era.....it was this era (see photo above).  

it reminded me if this great thread of classic advertising. No one had to suggest to these guys to wear a jacket to dinner. 

did I hear that ginger with the seductive look say “come hither”??..

who doesn’t love a Piece Towncar.......

For years the main dining room at the Mount Washington hotel required jackets. I think in the last new years they relaxed that rule.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

For years the main dining room at the Mount Washington hotel required jackets. I think in the last new years they relaxed that rule.

They probably felt pressure to do that and saw the trend lines in formal dining being relaxed.  Saying it isn’t required doesn’t mean let it all go. I wish they’d held the line. 
we have tried to raise our 4 kids that if in doubt, ere on being a little overdressed vice underdressed. 

5 hours ago, John Bloom said:

They probably felt pressure to do that and saw the trend lines in formal dining being relaxed.  Saying it isn’t required doesn’t mean let it all go. I wish they’d held the line. 
we have tried to raise our 4 kids that if in doubt, ere on being a little overdressed vice underdressed. 

I don’t disagree with you. My problem is I’m basically a slob. As a teenager my dream was to be the richest guy in the room, but look like a bum. I’ve managed to achieve half of that.

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I don’t disagree with you. My problem is I’m basically a slob. As a teenager my dream was to be the richest guy in the room, but look like a bum. I’ve managed to achieve half of that.

It’s good to know you’re rich! I might need to borrow some money someday.