Speedometer Revisited

TampaRiv

Hello again Gents,

I need some more speedo advice.   My speedo was working well after I recomissioned the car,  but after a couple of months it stopped working.   Long story short, I have removed and tested the speedometer head in the dash, and it seems to work just fine;  today I removed the speedometer cable, and while it's old and gnarly, it actually turns OK.    It's 50" long.

So, after visiting this topic a time or two, remind me about the nylon drive gear in the tranny, which I now assume to be the problem. I recall that the gears vary with respect to the type of differential, so how do you know which gear is correct?  I've heard tell that there are numbers on the differential, but I just could not see any numbers, and my car is clean underneath. 

SO... how do I figure out which gear I need, and where do I buy that gear?

Rich

6 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

Hello again Gents,

I need some more speedo advice.   My speedo was working well after I recomissioned the car,  but after a couple of months it stopped working.   Long story short, I have removed and tested the speedometer head in the dash, and it seems to work just fine;  today I removed the speedometer cable, and while it's old and gnarly, it actually turns OK.    It's 50" long.

So, after visiting this topic a time or two, remind me about the nylon drive gear in the tranny, which I now assume to be the problem. I recall that the gears vary with respect to the type of differential, so how do you know which gear is correct?  I've heard tell that there are numbers on the differential, but I just could not see any numbers, and my car is clean underneath. 

SO... how do I figure out which gear I need, and where do I buy that gear?

Rich

If your speedo was accurate pull the old gear, It should be a specific color or you can count the teeth...should probably do both. You have to pull the old gear anyway to inspect it.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TampaRiv said:

Thanks Tom, that makes perfect sense.  Question:  will the transmission leak fluid with the cable removed?  I need to take the car to a shop to have them remove the gear...I just can't reach it.  

It may leak some but I doubt too much...but I guess it matters how far you need to go. Honestly, thats only an educated guess, because I never ran one for any appreciable distance without a speedo cable.

The adapter which conceals the driven gear is very easy to remove. If my memory serves me well its one bolt and it pulls right out.

Tom

Well, sure, if I were still 35 years old, I'd slither under that car and pull that gear right out of there.  Now at 62, not so much!  My neck is still recovering from the headliner installation 18 months ago!   I'll just pay the guy with the lift to remove the gear for me.  I do plenty of other stuff.😌

34 minutes ago, TampaRiv said:

Well, sure, if I were still 35 years old, I'd slither under that car and pull that gear right out of there.  Now at 62, not so much!  My neck is still recovering from the headliner installation 18 months ago!   I'll just pay the guy with the lift to remove the gear for me.  I do plenty of other stuff.😌

You`re still a young man!

Tom

I'm 74 & can & still do it.  Now that I don't have a shop anymore it's jacks, jack stands, drive-up ramps or anything else that's required. Last year I changed the P/S pump on a '65GS in the parking lot.  Took all of 20 minutes.  Age is just an excuse.  The more you move the better off you'll be/feel.

Tom T.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2020 at 9:45 PM, telriv said:

I'm 74 & can & still do it.  Now that I don't have a shop anymore it's jacks, jack stands, drive-up ramps or anything else that's required. Last year I changed the P/S pump on a '65GS in the parking lot.  Took all of 20 minutes.  Age is just an excuse.  The more you move the better off you'll be/feel.

Tom T.

God Bless you!