Trying to find out how many 1970 GTX 440/6 torque flight AT (w/pistol) FJ5 paint code (limelight green) with 2 door black vinyl top and black interior were produced?

As far as I'm aware there were 328 produced with the 440/6 combo in GTX but how many were light lime with black interior/black vinyl top and auto torque flight trans w/air grabber,  hood clips and black stripes?

My brother bought one in 77 out of Air Force basic training and years later told me it burnt up in a race with a Camaro from Humeston IA to Des Moines IA in late 79. He's always been a BS artist so not sure if I believe it or if he's simply too ashamed to admit he sold it now that he see's the value all these years later so I'm just doing a little research to see how many were produced to answer this question that has haunted me for decades now. Right after the GTX he owned a 68 triple Black Cuda fastback Formula S 383 so I'd always assumed he traded in the GTX for the Cuda till he told me the story a couple years back about the GTX getting burnt. I've always wondered if the GTX is still alive. 

This photo below is the closest thing I've ever found. I've never been able to locate enough information off of this photo that would tell me this may be the car he once owned or who the current owner is. If anyone knows the owner of this GTX I'd appreciate a contact in PM. 

Thanks for any help with production numbers or possible owner leads.

Dave

See the source image

• Like 2
6 hours ago, JACK M said:

I don't recall an auto with a pistol.

I would like to learn though. Any pics of this out there?

Not sure why but that's what I remember everyone calling it (my uncle, brother, step dad ...) 

I remember it looked something like this. 

1970-plymouth-gtx-interior.jpg

25 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Not sure why but that's what I remember everyone calling it (my uncle, brother, step dad ...) 

I remember it looked something like this. 

1970-plymouth-gtx-interior.jpg

Is that factory or did someone take the pistol handle off a four speed car?    I have to admit I've never seen that before.

Wish I knew for sure, it's the only automatic I ever recall seeing one on. Damned 70s... can't recall a lot of small details and this is one of them. I never was allowed to drive the GTX so I don't remember if it might have been a 4 spd knob that he may have converted... could be, but I'm just not sure. Because the rest of the car (from memory) was all original I always assumed that part was original to the car. 

Anyway, somewhat of an update:

Spoke to a guy who claims to have taken this photo below. I believe it's the same car as in my first post but not sure. I asked him where he took the photo and he said he "took this photo (below) about 2 1/2 years ago at the Woodward Dream Cruise in Royal Oak, Michigan, just a few miles North of Detroit". I have no reason not to believe him. Based off that, the car is in the upper mid west somewhere I presume. Hoping someone comes forward with a possible lead for the owner. If you do recognize it, please do not post the owners info on this public forum but you may contact me in PM (private message). 

Regards

13x19-1970-Plymouth-GTX-Photo-Print-440-6-MOPAR-Belvedere-FJ5-Sub-Lime-Green

Edit: Btw, he let me drive the  Cuda to my first school  dance. It was a four speed so I am quite aware of the knobs on four speeds that have the gear layout. I do not recall the GTX had that layout....

Is it wrong that my heart skips beats every time I look at this car and photos of a black Cuda with Cragars. God I loved those cars. He would have free car detailing for life if he still had them. I was very very close to both of those cars because he never cleaned them.... I did. Both were stunning. I remember scolding him a couple of times for getting dirt on them ... he was my older brother btw so you get the idea ;) 

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)
1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Is that factory or did someone take the pistol handle off a four speed car?    I have to admit I've never seen that before.

You could get an automatic on the floor, a four speed pistol grip on the floor or an automatic on the column. Mine had the pistol grip when I got it....

Picture 11206.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input guys... I'm sure based on everything you guys are saying and all I'm seeing that the pistol must of been after market or off of a four speed. 

Funny how some things are easy to remember and others seem to take some kind of trigger to jog your memory. The knob on his Cuda had a lever that you had to lift up on in order to put it in reverse. Always thought  it was really a cool feature as a youngster. 

image.png.b5b784da3575bbd14cb57485cc3a0f8d.png

1 hour ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Thanks for your input guys... I'm sure based on everything you guys are saying and all I'm seeing that the pistol must of been after market or off of a four speed. 

Funny how some things are easy to remember and others seem to take some kind of trigger to jog your memory. The knob on his Cuda had a lever that you had to lift up on in order to put it in reverse. Always thought  it was really a cool feature as a youngster. 

image.png.b5b784da3575bbd14cb57485cc3a0f8d.png

That is the earlier style shift lever known as the Inland shifter. Then they went to the Hurst 4 speed in late 1968. The pistol grip was a Chrysler option, not aftermarket. There were two styles of the pistol grip. It was an option in 1970-71. I had the long one in my GTX....

pistol grip.jpg

pistol grip2.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1