' 1936 Studebaker Dictator - Not Mine

Estate sale - Look in the value guide: "Gee ours must at least be in GOOD condition, so that's what it will sell for. . . . " 

Darn it collectors!  Please talk to your family about the cars, parts and sale values before you die. I know that you had big dreams and ideas, but being realistic will make things much easier for them. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Carolina Chevrolet said:

I like that car. Realistically, what are we looking at here , a 5 K car ?  

$5K, max. If it was a sedan, more like $2K. I bet the paint is hiding more issues.

It's too bad. They're such good-looking cars, inside and out. My aunt had a '36 Dictator sedan when I was growing up, and the favorite part of my visits to her ranch was sitting behind the wheel and admiring that stylish dash. Unfortunate the owner chose to blast it with that crappy yellow paint.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carolina Chevrolet said:

I like that car. Realistically, what are we looking at here , a 5 K car ?  

Starting bid 17K.....Maybe a 25K car if nicely done....?

starting with a 25K end product.....

subtract 15 for body and paint (you might need to know a guy to get it done for 15K) 

Subtract 8 for interior???? (unknown what is there)

Drivetrain unproven......$$$$  ????  (who knows..)

Doesn't have the title........never a good thing......

So what is it worth.....?  I wrestle with this type of analysis all the time.  Logically you can say it only has value as a parts car, if you want to restore it, you need to get it for less than free.  However we all know it has some value.  I know guys who buy something like this, put 1000 hours into it in their free time over a couple years, have 40K in it, sell it for 26K and look for the next project.  God Bless them..........They often tell me they get enjoyment out of it that equals the amount of money they are upside down on the car.  

• Like 2

If this was the car of my dreams, I would take that 17K and search for one that doesn't have as many issues as this one does. That having been said, this is only the second one that I have seen in the past 15 years and the style has plenty of appealing to me. But is is just "garage art" at this point. I hope someone saves it.