Huge delay shipping USPS Priority Mail.

edinmass

Just as a heads up to everyone.........I’m currently waiting for a package that was sent Two Day Priority..........11 days later. The mail and the packages have seemed to fall off a big cliff in the last two months.........with no reasonable explanation. Take my money for two days, and at best it will be 12? This is beyond anything reasonable........and the saga continues.

What does the tracking say ? I have one package that has been "Arrived Shipping Partner Facility, USPS Awaiting Item" for three days now. Have to wonder if "shipping partner" is in the US...

ps last year I had some light bulbs leave California and spend a week in Hawaii before heading for Florida.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

The problem is, a lot of the stuff that we ship are parts that are rather hard to find or are not obtainable. UPS looses stuff all the time and can't be bothered to look for it and then make you jump through a lot of hoops to collect insurance.  Even when you do that they don't always pay up.  I am not sure anyone is really any better.

• Like 1

It has to be the USPS doesn’t like ED!  I just received suspension parts from Florida in 3 days. Ordered Monday afternoon  and arrived today. So there can be no other reason his is taking so long!  
dave s 

I guess my Great White ride is in jeopardy. 

• Haha 1

I’m ok with a short delay.........but six times longer than promised when I paid extra? Fedex would have given me a total refund in four days on the phone........

• Like 1

I currently have 3 USPS Priority Mail items that are completely MIA. They got to a certain point in their journey and the tracking just stopped. All three are at least seven days overdue. Two of them are just replaceable documents, but it will be a bit of a PIA to get them replaced. The other is of minimal value  but a none-the-less needed part.

My rule of thumb is that anything hard to find or worth over 100.00 gets sent via FedEx Ground.

Edited by motoringicons (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I refuse to use the USPS when I ship anything. It’s FedEx or UPS. 
I did work for Pro Football Weekly for about 25 years. The magazine was printed Sunday night, we had people keying stats from every game into a program that produced a tape the printer could load and print from. We sorted the labels based on flight schedules out of OHARE to about 20 different USPS centers. The first issue we did went smoothly and the printer delivered the magazines to OHARE and the one USPS main Chicago post office. The one that the Ike expressway ran thru. Wednesday the publisher called me ranting we messed up no one was getting delivery. This was a major problem as many used the stats and injury reports to place bets!  I called the printer and he said there was no problem the sorts and labels were perfect. We met the publisher at the Chicago PO. They said all was in order so we asked to talk with the department head that signed off and we found out a replacement guy thought the pink tag on the bags were for dead letters not immediate delivery bags!  We literally drove are cars around the third floor of the Chicago post office collecting bags and getting them to the correct area to send out. They threatened to arrest us until the publisher said his lawyer was already drawing up the lawsuit. The USPS just doesn’t care about mistakes because they do so much correctly. It’s just too big to worry about the small stuff. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I sell on eBay and they've been warning sellers against using the USPS this fall, though I really haven't had any troubles at all with buyers regularly commenting on how quick the orders are arriving. My wife has had some odd delays on things she's ordered, however. The problem usually seems to be with them using FedEx or UPS to do part of the transporting and things get hung up in between. One package was about 8 weeks overdue with no tracking updates so she called the seller and complained. They sent out a replacement. The 1st order showed up the same week as the 2nd one. 

I buy a lot on eBay and it seems like shipping time is totally hit-or-miss especially depending on what area of the country it's coming from. A media mail package from California shows up in a couple days, one from the east coast can take over a week. Western media mail seems to be faster than first class or priority from the east. It seems certain distribution centers are better than others. For example, I've had packages get stuck in Jersey City, NJ for almost a week before they moved. Others get them through in under a day.

It's been spotty all year, and now with Christmas shipping ramping up, I'm sure they're swamped right now.

I buy and sell a lot of stuff online. I've used the Post Office, UPS, and FedEx... Guess what? They all suck. They lose stuff, they break stuff, or they just don't bother with delivering it. They also lie their faces off about it. I shipped a guitar to Denver once - 3 day delivery. Took 10 days, and it arrived damaged. The box was literally torn in two pieces, and then taped back together. No excuse, no explanation, no apology. I could have driven the box out there and back for the money the Post Office charged, and had money left over for pizza and gas. They ALL suck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Up here in Canada we’re self isolating mainly. Most are on-line shopping for Christmas. Canada post is breaking daily delivery records each passing day. Much of our packages originate in the USA. We’re probably adding some strain to USPS too. 

Sadly our small stores are dying fast. Amazon is full out this xmas shopping season. I’d wager, more business than ever in their past. The delivery companies are trying to keep up. USPS is surely struggling. 

I just had a package returned from the USPS. Connecticut to Utah, stamped "vacant" Buyer was home all week. Googled his address, nice neighborhood, with other housed close by, NOT on a 10 mile dead end in Moab. Round two in underway, mystery to both of us. Bob 

FedEx ground by far has been the best for me shipping and receiving. Their people are helpful. Never lost anything to or from me.  A+

UPS and USPS give them a C. Haven't used UPS for years. Not that they care.

Wouldn't abandon FedEx but hopefully Amazon will grow their delivery business and accept outside packages for delivery. 

Charley 

7 hours ago, motoringicons said:

I currently have 3 USPS Priority Mail items that are completely MIA. They got to a certain point in their journey and the tracking just stopped. All three are at least seven days overdue. Two of them are just replaceable documents, but it will be a bit of a PIA to get them replaced. The other is of minimal value  but a none-the-less needed part.

My rule of thumb is that anything hard to find or worth over 100.00 gets sent via FedEx Ground.

I agree 100 percent and our shop policy is Fedex overnight on everything. Unfortunately the person I am dealing with would only do business my USPS and I understand why. That doesn’t solve my current problem.....which is is it lost or delayed due to COVID? Can’t get a straight answer.........

None of the 'big three' care.  They deal in volume and couldn't care less about customer satisfaction.  Not too long ago a UPS driver delivered a 'package' to my house.  I happened to be outside at the time when he dropped it by the front door and I immediately saw the end of the box was ripped open and the box was empty.  However, he had scanned it as delivered and was back in his truck and pulling away before I caught up to him and beat on the side of his truck with my hand.  It was blatantly obvious that the contents of the box he had delivered had been stolen, but he couldn't care less.  Had he been able to drive away, he would have blamed the lost contents on me.  I told him I was refusing delivery.  Because he had already scanned it as delivered, he had to call his supervisor and get him involved, as he couldn't un-scan the package.  The shipper had to file the claim of it being undelivered, and then send a replacement.  Took over a month.

USPS tracking is useless. Ordered something that never showed up. Tracked it to the last stop listed. Called that post office and gave them the tacking number that listed them as the last one receiving the package. Their response "Sorry we never received it" Lost for ever.

I ship 50-75 packages per month, primarily with USPS.   Everything eventually arrives, but delivery times have been unpredictable since March.   I've been told this is because USPS is severely understaffed in some of their distribution centers due to Covid cases and quarantines.

I use Fedex for heavy stuff and they have been more consistent, but occasionally exceeded their specified intervals.   They are my choice now if delivery time is critical.   Signature confirmation of delivery is recommended if item is irreplaceable or high value.

• Like 2

I bought an original Pierce Arrow watch fob on eBay in July, was reluctantly refunded for it after a couple months but it still has not been delivered presumably because of COVID issues. I kept track of the seller as I will pay him if it does arrive, but I think it’s lost forever in that vacuum.

Everything I ship to the west coast first goes 600 miles east to Pittsburg and then west! I’m 90 minutes from Chicago. Recently shipped a 20 pound package of parts to Finland using USPS. It took 4 months to arrive. It did reside in Indianapolis for nearly two months before moving on. USPS tracking system has deteriorated to the USELESS stage! I find that FedEx is the cheapest and most reliable for larger/heavier packages. Tracking system and delivery time are also dependable!

This was a couple years ago, but I ordered something on eBay, shipping from Las Vegas to Idaho. Box went to the LA distribution center and promptly got lost there. I reported it as missing at the post office, they said they would look for it but I didn't have much hope. About two months later, it finally showed up. They must have found it hidden in a corner of the warehouse or something.

Can’t  agree more about FedEx, probably the only delivery service that cares about its performance. I stopped using UPS after I realized their privately owned franchise stores were routinely putting their “fingers on the scale”. Some of them would measure the package right in front of me and then pad their own dimensions. Sad.

On a brighter note, some of you have used Greyhound Package Express to ship very large items. Affordable, but you never really knew where your package was; and delivery could be 2 days or 2 weeks. I recently had a fender shipped from Kentucky to MD. I was happy to see they have instituted a tracking system that seems to work. I watched as the fender went from Indiana to Boston, back to Indiana- and finally to Baltimore. It took 2 weeks, but it arrived.

As Kovid Kristmas approached, expect pure insanity.

• Like 1

Fedex has franchised the final delivery portion of their operation and service is variable depending on the driver.   On two recent occasions packages for a neighbor were just left in the middle of his driveway---one was a new I-phone.

I think you all have to realise, that with the covid epidemic, a lot of aircraft (thousands of planes), that would normally be flying passengers and carrying mail around the country (and worldwide), are grounded. 

Fedex have their own aircraft flying goods around, but the postal system contracts airlines to take stuff.

I have a friend, who is a load master for a freight company based in Europe, before March this year he was working maybe 5 hour shifts, but now because of the shortage of cargo carriers in the airline industry, he works a minimum 12 hour day, and sometimes as much as 16 hours, with no extra pay. The company he works for, have actually cut his and the workers pay, because there are so many people laid off in the airline industry wanting his job. Their attitude is, we pay you what we want and if you don't want to take a cut in pay, then leave, because we can replace you today.

I agree, that when you pay extra for expedited mail, it should be delivered within the set down parameters, but we are not living in normal times and it is beyond USPS control.

I paid expedited mail for some hubcaps, and they were sent 2 days before 9/11. After the attacks, USA grounded all flights for about 2 weeks, this caused a backlog , as mail piled up in the warehouses. My package turned up in Harare over 2 years later.

I also got some parts sent expedited airmail to me from Pa USA in 2015, the tracking number I followed from Pittsburg to Chicago, to New York, to Jamaica then back to New York, then to Ireland, England, France, Spain, Portugal and Germany over 3 weeks, then it left Germany and went off the tracking system, finally arriving in Zimbabwe 4 months later.

If your parts take a little longer, but get to you safely, then be grateful and accept we live in Challenging times.

• Like 1

I am waiting on a First Class envelope mailed from Hershey on November 19th. Yes, that is 15 days and counting. I live about 70 miles from Hershey and the drive takes me a little over an hour. A friend of mine lives IN HERSHEY and is also waiting for the same item mailed on the same date. 

BTW, my local postal delivery person tells me that on some days, my local post office gets NO MAIL AT ALL from the regional sorting facility. Then the next day they get 2 or 3 days worth of mail. So much for the logistics genius who is the current Postmaster General. I will not be sad to see the guy go in January.

Think one element is that vendors consider an item "shipped" when the label is created. And not when actually shipped. Do think USPS Jamaca NY is really a waiting point for items shipped from overseas (China Post etc.)

(Today an earlier "shipped" item

November 30, 2020 at 8:16 pm

Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

DALLAS, TX 75218 

39 minutes ago, padgett said:

Think one element is that vendors consider an item "shipped" when the label is created. And not when actually shipped.

I hate when they do that, I am waiting, waiting, decide to check the progress thru tracking only to find that it in fact has not shipped.

On the other hand, I sent a certified letter to the east coast from Oregon on the 30th that got delivered today. I call that acceptable and only costs $4.10,

I sent something priority mail - 2/3 days guaranteed shipping to Florida. Arrived in 7 days.  Complained to the post office. Their response "What do you expect, it went to Florida".

• Haha 1

I have a little inside knowledge of the USPS, knowing some folks who work there.  I have seamlessly ordered and received probably 25 packages in the last month via USPS.

There are 2 distribution centers that consistently fail miserably, and just by luck, my packages have dodged them lately—Houston, TX and Murfreesboro, TN.  If you have anything going through rose locations, add a week to the delivery time.  

You’ll love this. We were just processing change of addresses and undeliverable cancels for the last pub we have still as a customer. 
we got an UNABLE to DELIVER or FORWARD for a magazine going to the “USPS authority” for checking on magazine advertising percentages!  
You have to love the USPS 

• Like 1

Well the PO never stops accepting packages. UPS just sent out a bulletin saying that they were not accepting packages ordered from several of there big contracted, mail order, houses. On several occasions, over the last ten years, both companies experienced failures in their shipping networks, which delayed packages scheduled for pre-Christmas delivery, up to a month. Several years ago UPS also experienced an employee threatened strike, and work slow down, at Christmas. This would not have happened at the USPS. 

This year the PO has been negatively effected by political tampering, so all bets are off. Once some of the rogue, and expensive decisions, are turned around. I hope a more normal USPS will return.   

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

UPS had set limits on how much merchandise retailers could ship through them at a given time apparently to ensure everyone had a chance to get their items shipped and delivered knowing online shopping was going to be stronger this year.   Some retailers reached their max number earlier than others due to the sales promotions they were offering, Nike and GAP were two mentioned along with a few others.  They are working out details to get all items shipped as soon as possible.  Sometimes business can be too good!