1940 Oldsmobile Convertible Coupe on the road again

PFindlay

I acquired this Series 60 (6 cylinder + Hydramatic) Olds from an estate sale a few months ago.  It had been sitting for at least 6 years, probably more.  It took a couple of months addressing the usual things: brakes, fuel system, ignition, etc. but this week it's back on the road.  There's still lots to do but it should be a good driver.   Everything works except the clock.  (No radio)

This car was an amateur restoration back in the late 70s and appeared in a few local events (Vancouver, B.C.) but no one around here remembers seeing it so I don't think it got used much.

I'd be interested to hear from any other owners of 1940 Olds Convertible Coupes, particularly Series 60, or anyone who knows this car.

Peter

1568922628_1940Oldsmobile2.thumb.jpg.f27fd256814aa6e3702844a24994dfc7.jpg

2130805448_1940Oldsmobile3.thumb.jpg.93507095a9e8d9c79ba7b2026c04c583.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Wow, nice car, and one that one sees not so often

This top needs its plastic window replaced.  The window piece zippers around the sides and top but appears to be sewn in across the bottom.  Do you think it can be replaced without removing the top?  I'm hoping to live with the top for now but need to address the window.

Well, it’s difficult to replace without removing top.  At the very least, the back of the top, including part on rear bow, has to come of.

You could cobble together, but by the time you pay someone to “fix” you’re half way in cost to a whole new top...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, Bob Petters said:

I am the advisor on the 40 Olds for both Oldsmobile clubs so if you have any questions I am here.

Thanks, but I got car on the road and cleaned up as best I could then passed it on to the next owner.  It was too new for me so I was unlikely to use it much.  

My Olds had a replacement 235 6-cyl engine in it, but came with its original 230 cu in engine and a big hole in the block.  I still have all of it except the block, so if you hear of someone looking for 230 engine parts send them my way.  I also have the centre dash trim piece (speaker grill, etc) that I'd be happy to sell.

Peter

• 4 months later...
On 3/4/2022 at 6:35 PM, PFindlay said:

Thanks, but I got car on the road and cleaned up as best I could then passed it on to the next owner.  It was too new for me so I was unlikely to use it much.  

My Olds had a replacement 235 6-cyl engine in it, but came with its original 230 cu in engine and a big hole in the block.  I still have all of it except the block, so if you hear of someone looking for 230 engine parts send them my way.  I also have the centre dash trim piece (speaker grill, etc) that I'd be happy to sell.

Peter

HI there

I just saw this post, and I have 1941 oldsmobile 8 cilinder, I need very badly " oil pump drive gear on top / small one" or someone calling "distributor gear", or used oil pump so I can put in part... Do you have or know someone where I can find it?? 

Thanks for your answer 

Alenoldy@gmail.com 

On 3/4/2022 at 5:59 PM, Bob Petters said:

Do not have a 60 series but just acquired a L40 Phaeton. Work in progress for a couple of years. I am the advisor on the 40 Olds for both Oldsmobile clubs so if you have any questions I am here.  Bob

IMG_20210309_142730736.jpg

HI there

I just saw this post, and I have 1941 oldsmobile 8 cilinder, I need very badly " oil pump drive gear on top / small one" or someone calling "distributor gear", or used oil pump so I can put in part... Do you have or know someone where I can find it?? 

Thanks for your answer 

Alenoldy@gmail.com