For Sale: 1929 Stutz M8 27 RHD Coupe - $49,900 - Missoula, MT - Not Mine

For Sale: 1929 Stutz M8 27 RHD Coupe - $49,900 - Missoula, MT

1929 Stutz M8 27 - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)

Original registration August 15th 1929, first registration in London England is June 5th 1931. This 1929 Stutz M8 27 started life as a Cabriolet Coupe (Convertible Coupe), Right Hand Drive, Vertical Eight single overhead cam with a 4 speed transmission. Sometime in the mid-1930’s the car was shipped to New Zealand and a few registrations show the car as a roadster and even as a Bearcat. In the late 1950’s the body was converted to a Hardtop Coupe and new fenders were fabricated. The front fenders were modeled after a Jaguar Mark V and the rears were modeled from a Humber Super Snipe. The original knock off wire wheels were remade into 16” steel rims using the original knock off wire center hubs. The engine was freshened up and is equipped with twin Tillotson down draft carburetors.
The split windshield and low profile gives this Stutz a unique and tasteful more modern appearance of a Stutz Custom Coupe. In 1985 the car’s owner who earlier in life worked for Stutz and Rolls Royce passed away. In 1986 the car was purchased by a museum where it was displayed for a time then ended up in a storage building until the summer of 2020. Then on September 1st 2020 the Stutz rolled back onto U.S. soil for the 1st time in nearly 90 years at a restoration shop in Montana. This 1929 Stutz Custom Coupe is available for new ownership. The car comes with some documentation and original registration history.

Contact:  Call Kevin at (406) two-7-3-six-six-3-7 for details.

Copy and paste in your email:  a8cea95c0262380fab55e9c02239a116@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1929 Stutz M8 27 RHD Coupe.

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT a.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT b.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT c.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT d.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT f.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT e.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT g.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT h.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT i.jpg

'29 Stutz M8 coupe MT j.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting car, sure is different. It’s something like 90 percent new coachwork. Interesting dash. Obviously very well done.........very well. Style is hard to describe.......but it looks like they put a ton of money and effort in it. With such a late post war new coachwork what club/class would you enter it in? It’s one of those rare vehicles that just defies description   or category. Did they put a price on it? It’s also hard to value. Hopefully it ends up with someone who will keep it out in the public eye. Being RHD I would think it has more interest and value down under.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)

10 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Interesting car, sure is different. It’s something like 90 percent new coachwork. Interesting dash. Obviously very well done.........very well. Style is hard to describe.......but it looks like the put a ton of money and effort in it. With such a late post war new coachwork what club/class would you enter it in? It’s one of those rare vehicles that just defies description   or category. Did the put a price on it? It’s also hard to value. Hopefully it ends up with someone who will keep it out in the public eye. Being RHD I would think it has more interest and value down under.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I love it. Showed an elitist buddy of mine and he laughed at it.  But I’ll argue what will you find cooler for 49k?

Shall I answer your question? It’s a cool car........be fun to drive it in England........with the American chassis it will eat most English stuff.

Unusual to say the least. But even at the somewhat modest asking price I suspect it is going to be a bit of a hard sell. Too nicely done to think about returning it to a standard Stutz body { I think }. But as is I fear the potential market is very narrow indeed.  And yes , as a R.H.D. in North America a real fish out of water.

Greg

On 12/4/2020 at 11:32 AM, 1912Staver said:

Unusual to say the least. But even at the somewhat modest asking price I suspect it is going to be a bit of a hard sell. Too nicely done to think about returning it to a standard Stutz body { I think }. But as is I fear the potential market is very narrow indeed.  And yes , as a R.H.D. in North America a real fish out of water.

Greg

If you like to go to shows,  I'll bet you would get an invite to many/most.   Not Pebble or Amelia maybe,  but most of the others.  

I defer to your far greater experience regarding show entry worthiness. I don't even attend shows as a spectator much for the last few years. With a couple of local exceptions they have become largely hot rod / street machine events in my part of the world.  Big change in the typical car seen at car shows over the last 45 years .

I really like about 1 in 100 rods , so even a big show might have a handful of cars that interest me. Almost not worth the effort to attend anymore.

I am sure there are some extremely worthwhile events in the U.S , but I am not able to travel much at all these days.

Greg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Now that everyone else has had their say, I'd say since the virginal originality of this Stutz M has long since vanished, time for a re-body!  Retain radiator shell and radiator plus hood and firewall, give the current body to a deserving Armstrong-Siddeley or Humber Super Snipe.  Then, since its RHD, build a Bentley Speed 6 style touring like this on the chassis and go driving it!

Let the brickbats fly!

Bentley Speed 6 touring.jpg

• Like 1

If you are going to go to the extent of a re-body ; I agree that at this point it is a viable option, then why not keep it in the style associated with Vertical 8 Stutz cars ?

No more work to make a Robbins body than Vanden Plas style body. 

Greg

Stutz-Blackhawk-front-3-4-900x600.jpg

Stutz-Blackhawk-detail-boat-tail-900x600.jpg

45 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

If you are going to go to the extent of a re-body ; I agree that at this point it is a viable option, then why not keep it in the style associated with Vertical 8 Stutz cars ?

No more work to make a Robbins body than Vanden Plas style body. 

Greg

Only because its RHD...do the English style...

7 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Only because its RHD...do the English style...

If going to the expense of a rebody, why leave it right hand drive?  Even as I type that I don’t know why I or anyone would argue against the vandan plas body on a Stutz, it would be fantastic. 

I like Vanden Plas style cars as much as anyone. On any of the period English chassis they are very fine machines. But I am also a big fan of the typical Stutz speedster appearance. Both are great. I guess it just shows my own preference regarding sporting Stutz bodywork.

Greg

16 minutes ago, gossp said:

Another thought, there are likely enough fake cars on a Stutz chassis out there that there should be a few loose correct bodies for the car shoved in a corner somewhere. 

No doubt there are, but they're big clunky sedan bodies which no body wants...or would choose to remount on a Stutz chassis...

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The car that was parked next to it in 2018 - another Stutz I guess but I don't know the story of that one.

I think it is well known that Stutz cars were available in England for a few years after the end of production in the US (1931?). Just how many the importer had in store I have no idea.

Southwards 0818 Jonathan Paape photo b.jpg

• Like 1