For Sale: 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV - $12,500 - Corinth, MS - Not Mine

For Sale: 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV - $12,500 - Corinth, MS

1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Recently out of hibernation, here’s a true barn find! (only we knew what barn it was in for 30+ years!) This 1972 Lincoln Mark IV originally belonged to well renowned Dr. Welch (of Corinth) and was acquired by my late grandfather in ‘74 I think. It has the original 460 V-8/auto with 63,407 original miles. My grandfather got frustrated and parked it in the late 70’s or early 80’s. It’s what I’d consider driver-quality (not a show Queen), but overall it’s a really clean car.  This is a running and drivable vehicle but will need some additional mechanical attention and tires before being truly road worthy. It has a new fuel tank, sending unit, and fuel pump.  Needs: Tires, heat/AC work, radiator, transmission/oil pan seals, horn.  I also have new extra set of wheels like pictured on the car, set of spokes, two original hubcaps, two original mirrors, and the original air cleaner lid.  I couldn’t upload all pictures or the walk-around video, so please email for those.  Asking $12,500 OBO. If you’re interested in looking or have questions, please email via the Craigslist link.

Copy and paste in your email:  0d12ff3c5c8c3d998a4536d6147d13c3@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV.

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS a.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS b.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS ba.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS c.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS d.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS e.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS f.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS g.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS h.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS i.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS j.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS k.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS l.jpg

'72 Lincoln Continental Mark IV MS m.jpg

Still, this is a clear indication (to me) that the 72-73's were "better" styled than the 69-71's.  The 74-76's are nice too but the 5 mph bumper ruined the 72-73 (I may be off a year from memory).    The tucked in bumpers on the 72-73's make the overall design.    This is the year to get, and the darker the better in color!   That yellow thing is awful.  

• Like 1

The 1972 Continental Mark IV was the only year with the styled, integrated bumpers on both ends.  For 1973, the front was beset with the 5 mph guard-rail bumper but the rear retained the integrated bumper.  The 1974-'76 models have the 5 mph guard-rails hanging on both ends.  The 1972 was the only model year that offered an oval 'opera' window delete option.   The 1972 was the purist design.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2020 at 6:54 PM, B Jake Moran said:

Still, this is a clear indication (to me) that the 72-73's were "better" styled than the 69-71's.  The 74-76's are nice too but the 5 mph bumper ruined the 72-73 (I may be off a year from memory).    The tucked in bumpers on the 72-73's make the overall design.    This is the year to get, and the darker the better in color!   That yellow thing is awful.  

I totally agree about this car being better looking than the 5 mph bumper models, which - as 58L-Y8 correctly said - started in '73. The addition of the oversized bumpers puts (for a lot of people) this otherwise cool looking car in the general category of "forgettable large cars from the 1970's." That's too bad, because it's styling deserves be more highly regarded than that. But the bumpers DO have a big visual effect.

I've also come to agree with you about the 1972's being more appealing than even the Mark lll's, which I still think look great. The Mark lll's are more formal, while the sportier '72 lV's are more in the vein of the great personal luxury cars of the sixties and early seventies like the Riviera, Thunderbird and Toronado. Interestingly, the boat tail Riviera also suffered from the '73 Congress bumpers. (You either love or hate the boat tail, but most people hate those bumpers.)

Yup, the '72 is THE one to own.  As I recall, those Appliance wheels included a cheesy 'wire basket' that was held on by the center cap...

s-l1600-jpg.182593

The original wheel covers were much classier looking.

IMG_3995.jpg?fit=940,627

• Like 1