Jump to content

Remember last year a Cargo ship sank off Georgia with 4,000 brand new cars inside well they are salvaging it and the salt water did a number on the cars.


Mark Gregory
 Share

Recommended Posts

First glimpse inside a sunken cargo ship: 400ft anchor chain slices through the Golden Ray to reveal 4,200 Hyundai cars not seen since the vessel capsized last September off Brunswick, Georgia

  • The Golden Ray capsized near the Port of Brunswick in September 2019, with 4,000 cars onboard
  • Engineers are finally demolishing the boat, using an anchor chain to saw it into eight sections 
  • A giant floating crane is lifting up parts of the dismantled ship before they will be taken to Gulf coast

 

 

The South Korean ship Golden Ray is finally being demolished after months of setbacks, with the dismantling revealing the many cars stacked inside

 

 

 

More than 4,200 vehicles remain in the ship's cargo decks and now officials are finally starting the process to remove it

 

 

 

A 400-foot anchor chain is being used to cut sections, exposing the many Hyundai cars trapped inside the ship

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Is it being salvaged for the scrap value of the metal?

 

That's the ship scraping business!

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Would that even be permissible?

 

Depends. Who owns it? Typically the insurance company that paid off.  Off topic, but they are in court right now  about who owns the radio equipment on the Titanic, as one group wants to remove it for display in a museum.🤔

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  The same cutting procedure was used a few years ago on a boxboat that turned turtle in Europe, the technology isn't new.

  The chain uses embedded diamond cutters to cut the hull/cargo.

 

  Titanic's Marconi gear was leased to the shipping company, but its probably moot anyway because there may not be much left to salvage. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, but who registers a cruise or container ship in the US? 

 

Panama

Liberia

Marshall Islands  

 

Are all more registered ships than the US.

 

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/liberia-confirmed-as-second-largest-ship-registry-in-the-world/

 

As to the Marconi gear on the Titanic, it is local news for us, as a Virginia judge decided what to do:

 

http://www.arrl.org/news/federal-judge-okays-retrieval-of-titanic-marconi-wireless-equipment

 

4 hours ago, JimKB1MCV said:

Titanic's Marconi gear was leased to the shipping company, but its probably moot anyway because there may not be much left to salvage. 

 

OK, it does have  a little salt water deterioration, but not like it had oxygen at that depth.

 

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/28/metro/photo-gallery-explore-titanics-wireless-rooms-where-desperate-messages-were-sent-ships-final-moments/

 

I just clicked "close" when it asked to log in, and got to see the pictures.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why does that one gray suv look perfectly fine (minus the crushing) and the others don't? That one doesn't look like it's been underwater at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Billy Kingsley said:

Why does that one gray suv look perfectly fine (minus the crushing) and the others don't? That one doesn't look like it's been underwater at all.

 I think it was above the waterline.  Look at the white one in the top picture, it looks like the same white one just below and to the left of the gray SUV.  Then, still in the top picture, look to the left side of the image where you can see the top deck of the boat.  Looks like the boat was laying on its left side with a crud line that runs right down the middle.  The crud was underwater.  The gray SUV would have been above the water.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1. I too think thats incredible that they are cutting that thing with a chain, who knew?

2. Never realized how they 'stacked/stored' the cars in those ships. I would be claustrophobic driving cars in and out of one of those things!

 

I saw some ytube videos of a ship graveyard in Asia someplace, may have been India, where they just beach the ships then start ripping them apart for scrap. The work looked very crude and dangerous, but hey they were getting it done!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

1. I too think thats incredible that they are cutting that thing with a chain, who knew?

2. Never realized how they 'stacked/stored' the cars in those ships. I would be claustrophobic driving cars in and out of one of those things!

 

I saw some ytube videos of a ship graveyard in Asia someplace, may have been India, where they just beach the ships then start ripping them apart for scrap. The work looked very crude and dangerous, but hey they were getting it done!

Doesn't look like it from the pictures, but the overheads would have to be at least 6' to accommodate the SUVs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A friend takes damaged cars from X automobile manufacturing company and then cleans them up and cleans them out and ... (including they can get an interior and dash kit among other kits) to send the cars then over to Countries who no restrictions on salvage and .... - mainly flood damage, tornado damage, theft damage, vandalism, and ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

A friend takes damaged cars from X automobile manufacturing company and then cleans them up and cleans them out and ... (including they can get an interior and dash kit among other kits) to send the cars then over to Countries who no restrictions on salvage and .... - mainly flood damage, tornado damage, theft damage, vandalism, and ....

I've heard of companies that export totaled vehicles and have body shops aboard the ship. I guess in some cases they can have the car fixed (good enough) by the time they reach port. Airbags? Seat belt pretensioners? Active grille shutter? Who needs 'em! Patch them up and ride.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I've heard of companies that export totaled vehicles and have body shops aboard the ship. I guess in some cases they can have the car fixed (good enough) by the time they reach port. Airbags? Seat belt pretensioners? Active grille shutter? Who needs 'em! Patch them up and ride.

 

Apparently that happened after Sandy hit the NY Metro Area. If the salt water touched the lowest part of the rotors or brake drums the insurance adjusters totalled the cars. The title was then marked "for salvage only due to flood damage"

For weeks there were semi's leaving here with late model cars with visible water lines up to the windows. The word was they were sold overseas where the US paperwork does not matter. The paperwork is only needed to get it out of the US

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bryan G said:

I've heard of companies that export totaled vehicles and have body shops aboard the ship. I guess in some cases they can have the car fixed (good enough) by the time they reach port. Airbags? Seat belt pretensioners? Active grille shutter? Who needs 'em! Patch them up and ride.

Manufacturers do it in US to send to countries where they do not have to offer same type of disclosures as in US - I assume they sell them as a demonstrator or ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...