Can anyone pick me up, please ??

On 12/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Marty Roth said:

Being from Shreveport, and north of I-10,

If he were born there, folks down here would consider him a Yankee, also used fro a northerner who visits and then returns north,

unless he moved south to Shreveport,

in which case my wife's grandmother used to say he would be a "Damn-Yankee" - someone who came south and stayed (Like Me) !

Moved from NJ to FL 50 years ago, (A damn Yankee), then moved to NC (A Halfback), but to them, I'm a Damn Floridiot.

• Haha 3

Haha !!! New to me , too, first I have heard of "Floridiot", that's good!!!!

I do shows in Northern Connecticut and Massachusetts, and we've known about "Ma$$holes" for decades !!!!

Happy Holidays, everyone !!!No name calling this holiday season !!!!

(Unless it is justified..... Just kidding !!!!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After I finished infantry training at Fort Benning, I went out to purchase transportation (bought a 94 Ford Ranger) and stopped at a Waffle House on the way back for a bit of real food.  Being from out west (AZ and WY), I was used to treating grits like Cream of Wheat and put sugar on them.  Well, I did that...  in a Waffle House...  in Georgia.  

A little old lady sitting next to me leaned over, put her hand on my arm, shook her head, and said, “you ain’t from around here, are ya Sonny?”  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

I was 15 years old before I knew you could eat rice without putting sugar on it.

My Grandma had a sweet tooth and would put sugar in everything she cooked except biscuit and cornbread. My Grandpa wouldn't eat the bread if he tasted sugar in it.

Granny B even put sugar in the snap beans (green beans to those not from the South) and she cooked them to death on top of it. Her snap beans were always the color of spinach or turnip sallet (turnip greens), and always cooked with bacon grease, or a piece of pork side meat if she had it.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 9:23 PM, AURktman said:

After I finished infantry training at Fort Benning, I went out to purchase transportation (bought a 94 Ford Ranger) and stopped at a Waffle House on the way back for a bit of real food.  Being from out west (AZ and WY), I was used to treating grits like Cream of Wheat and put sugar on them.  Well, I did that...  in a Waffle House...  in Georgia.  

A little old lady sitting next to me leaned over, put her hand on my arm, shook her head, and said, “you ain’t from around here, are ya Sonny?”  

About the same reaction putting lemon in a 'sweet tea' in the middle of S Carolina!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

About the same reaction putting lemon in a 'sweet tea' in the middle of S Carolina!

Try ordering sweet tea in Pennsylvania!

Two friends and I go to the Carlisle swap meets. Usually stay in Gettysburg because it's cheaper and all of us have ancestors who fought at Gettysburg.

One friend ordered sweet tea and the teenage server says "we don't have that, but we do have flavored teas". Friend says "you don't understand, it ain't the same thing!" He got unsweet and dumped half a dozen sugar packets in it, with the iced tea spoon tinkatinkatinking in the glass. Told him he'd wear the spoon to a nub before he got that cold tea anywhere near sweet.

He now orders hot tea and a glass of ice. Steeps the tea, sugars it hot and pours it in the glass. Sez he, "lotta trouble to get what any self-respecting restaurant ought to already have!"

• Like 1

I literally am 1 mile below the Mason Dixon line. You are correct, sweet tea has a different meaning in our neck of the woods than in the south. My best friend growing up, his parents were from the south. All she ever made was 'sweet tea'.  I always liked it but as a kid could never figure out why their tea always tasted different than all of the others (fwiw, I prefer lemon). 

When the snow clears and I decide to get out for the heck of it I will get a pic of the M/D marker. There are a couple originals nearby.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2020 at 5:18 PM, Marty Roth said:

Being from Shreveport, and north of I-10,

If he were born there, folks down here would consider him a Yankee, also used fro a northerner who visits and then returns north,

unless he moved south to Shreveport,

in which case my wife's grandmother used to say he would be a "Damn-Yankee" - someone who came south and stayed (Like Me) !

I moved from Illinois to Lafayette La.working for Petroleum Helicopters back in 72.They let me go after six months,I guess they didn't like yankees.Darn coon asses.( just kidding).How'd they get that name anyway?

On 2/6/2021 at 4:59 PM, Buick35 said:

I moved from Illinois to Lafayette La.working for Petroleum Helicopters back in 72.They let me go after six months,I guess they didn't like yankees.Darn coon asses.( just kidding).How'd they get that name anyway?

Having visited Louisiana first on a "Circumnavigate the USA on a 1953 Vespa" trip between summer-1962 and January-1963, I made my next visit in April, 1968. That is when I met my native New Orleanian fiancee/now-wife. I decided as a software architect, musician, and foodie, to seek a job transfer - accomplished by March, 1969. During the interval time, I visited New Orleans every other weekend, flying round-trip from NYC to spend time with my then fiancee, now wife of nearly 52 years, and her family. I quickly acquired a sincere appreciation for the food and music in the French Quarter, as well as fishing, waterskiing, sightseeing, and shrimping out of Grand Isle, Louisiana. Additionally that was a big part of where I developed an abiding respect for Cajun lore, as well as these descendents of Acadians who were expelled from Canada's Maritime provinces.

Having been transferred from Louisiana to Ft Wayne, IN , and then to Richmond, VA, my work took me back to New Orleans again in late 1976, and we've managed to be able to stay and enjoy the Louisiana lifestyle.

Our travels throughout the US, Canada, and Mexico allow us to experience and enjoy the diversity, and to appreciate coming home to South Louisiana and the New Orleans metro-area. 

The term "Coon-Ass" (and sometimes the less often used term "Bougalee" as a friend from Grand Isle self-referred), may at once be both endearing internally among their community, and derogatory at the same time, depending on how it is used - much the same as other terms used among other ethnicities, but inappropriate from external sources. 

Here are some discussions on the term:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coonass

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-01/cajuns-are-fiercely-proud-their-culture-theyre-divided-over-word-coonass

https://www.acadian.org/culture/louisiana/cajun-coonass/

http://bayoutechedispatches.blogspot.com/2010/08/debunking-alleged-origin-of-word.html

https://ethnology.pitt.edu/ojs/index.php/Ethnology/article/viewFile/6064/6263

https://www.familyatlouisiana.com/a-cajun-is-not-a-coonass.html

https://www.facebook.com/katctv3/posts/what-is-a-coonass-there-are-a-few-different-thoughts-as-to-the-orgins-of-the-ter/10150586701741969/

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/boogalee

https://dare.wisc.edu/words/quarterly-updates/quarterly-update-7/boogalee/

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 1

During powerplant shutdowns we had contract millwrights from all over the country show up. These guys followed the outage circuit and got to know a lot of them who came back every year. Several Louisianans had "Registered Coonass" stickers on their vehicles and hardhats.

Lot of these folks had their own self-contained motorhomes and we had a campground of sorts on plant site for them. Wasn't unusual to get invited for supper and some "coonass culcha" after hours.

A locally owned grocery kept up with our shutdown schedule and made sure to have plenty of fresh seafood on hand when the Cajuns came to work. They were known to make a 6 hour round trip to the coast to get it if the grocery came up short.

On 1/6/2021 at 8:23 PM, AURktman said:

Being from out west (AZ and WY), I was used to treating grits like Cream of Wheat and put sugar on them.  Well, I did that...  in a Waffle House...  in Georgia.  

While I grew up I never even heard of grits. On a trip to North Carolina we had breakfast, and ordered grits (not having a clue what they were). I can tell you this that if you never had them and not having a clue what they are...its like eating a mud pie that was in the sink for too long...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bdc said:

While I grew up I never even heard of grits. On a trip to North Carolina we had breakfast, and ordered grits (not having a clue what they were). I can tell you this that if you never had them and not having a clue what they are...its like eating a mud pie that was in the sink for too long...

My Dad (never had them before) was the same way until he showed up in Phenix City, AL one night in 1971 when he was reporting for duty at Ft. Benning, Ga across the river.  He ordered a steak and it was served with grits instead of mashed potatoes.  He dug in and had one of the harshest moments of his young life.  He still can’t stand the sight or taste of grits 50 years later. 

• Like 1

Brussels sprouts roasted in olive oil with bacon crumbles and grated pecorino romano is tasty!😋

My Mama was an excellent cook and liked to experiment. My dad on the other hand was a creature of habit and very limited in his appreciation of food. Picky in other words. As in would eat thin spaghetti but wouldn't eat rotini or other shaped pasta. Would eat only Thousand Island salad dressing (I refuse to eat it to this day).

If he didn't like a food's name, nuh-uh, not eating it. Mama had a recipe for coconut pie that made its own crust while it was baking. It was delicious but my daddy would not eat "Impossible Coconut Pie".

Mama also made delicious chicken and dumplings, seasoned with sage and rosemary from her own garden. You think my dad would eat it? "Chicken Slick" he called it.

Yet he would eat pork brains and runny eggs. 🙄

• Like 2

My brother-in-law had his first trip to Arkansas in his late teens.  Seated in a Little Rock restaurant, his plate arrived with a nice serving of grits.  Coming from Maine, he had no experience of the delicacy, so he asked the waitress what they were.  Says she, "Honey, grits is ... grits!"

GRITS-  Girls Raised In The South!

Charlotte-based Belk department stores uses that in a lot of their print advertising and also on their private-label ladies' casual clothing line. Very popular. Enough that they made an offshoot young mens' clothing line Guys Raised In The South!

Grits with cheese or crumbly bacon is good eating, but I don't want them every day.😺

2 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

We lived in Alabama for over 4 years and never acquired a taste for grits.

Grits? Any different than cornmeal mush? Ate that a lot between paydays when paydays where Dad worked were 1st @ 15th..  Any thing when hungry.

Life is good now.

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Larry Schramm said:

We lived in Alabama for over 4 years and never acquired a taste for grits.

My wife grew up in New Orleans, and to this day will not even consider eating grits.

I'm originally from New Jersey, but chose New Orleans as our home. I have tried most foods, don't mind grits, prefer other types of hot cereal, but generally eat what is placed in front of me. Of course I grew up at a time when some food was rationed. My grandparents escaped Europe shortly after the turn of the 20th century.

Mom would remind me to eat what we had, because, as she frequently noted:

"Children in Europe are Starving" !

My offer to send my food, mostly vegetables, to the European children, that which I preferred not to eat, was  not  met with a positive response from her. :rolleyes:

Edited by Marty Roth
typo, and additional note (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Grits? Any different than cornmeal mush? Ate that a lot between paydays when paydays where Dad worked were 1st @ 15th..  Any thing when hungry.

Life is good now.

Ben

The difference between grits and cornmeal mush is I'll eat cornmeal mush. They come from different parts of the cob. I'm pretty sure grits come from the ass-end of the cob.

• Haha 1

I have liked grits since I was a kid and that was growing up in NE Ohio with no Southern linage in our family. Started out with sugar eating for breakfast and advance to butter, salt and pepper as a side dish. Like it with white gravy too. One of my favorites is fried after it has setup overnight and sliced and either fried in butter or put in a waffle iron, some maple syrup, yum. Didn't move South of the Mason Dixon till 6 years ago but I was ready. Also like biscuits and white gravy.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jim Bollman said:

I have liked grits since I was a kid and that was growing up in NE Ohio with no Southern linage in our family. Started out with sugar eating for breakfast and advance to butter, salt and pepper as a side dish. Like it with white gravy too. One of my favorites is fried after it has setup overnight and sliced and either fried in butter or put in a waffle iron, some maple syrup, yum. Didn't move South of the Mason Dixon till 6 years ago but I was ready. Also like biscuits and white gravy.

Biscuits and gravy I will eat all the time, I’ve learned to eat the grits with cheese and butter.  It took 20 years to do it though. 

I like grits but only eat them with maple syrup as a side for breakfast. I havent tried Shrimp n Grits, not sure what thats all about. First had biscuits and gravy (sausage of coarse) in middle school. Had it at my 'hillbilly' neighbors. I still dont think mom has ever made it. Something I love to eat before taking my 1977 Pontiac Trans Am (to make this an official car post) out for a Sunday drive is Scrapple. I always thought it was a southern thing but realize now that its a PA thing.

Having grown up in Baltimore, Rapa brand scrapple was what we had for breakfast.  I just checked their website, but the nearest store selling it is 100 miles away in CT.  In recent years, our return trip from Carlisle, Hershey, or York always included a stop at Dietrich's Meats off I-78 about 15 miles west of Allentown, PA.  We always bring an empty insulated cooler.  They make their own scrapple, sausages, smoked pork chops, country hams, apple butter, and other goodies, in addition to a wide selection of meats including veal, goat, pheasant, etc., both for people and their dogs.

182001439_Dietrichscounter.thumb.JPG.a0d72423c703d4df50681cecb4447ebc.JPG

The counter at Dietrich's Meats.  Lenhartsville, PA. 

996613795_vealtreats.jpg.cebc6f28b2bd504be5e3882788be589f.jpg

Lots of veal choices, including Rocky Mountain Oysters...

1076592487_smokeddogtreats.jpg.a2967b3f19b0ac1508c9fc99b875a634.jpg

Some smoked meat treats for your doggie, including a pig head.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

Scrapple. I always thought it was a southern thing but realize now that its a PA thing.

Scrapple is Pennsylvania. Souse (like scrapple but different) is Southern, and anymore not easy to find even down here. Only brand of that I'll eat is Neese's, because their seasoning suits me. Other brands are kinda blah.

When your grocery choices are pretty much limited to Walmart and Food Lion, if they don't stock it you don't get it. And they don't stock souse, olive loaf or any decent-tasting red hots.

Which were all good to pack for a car show picnic.😋

• Like 2

Rapa is good, Hatfield is my go to.  When in Hershey if you want a nice country side trip head east towards New Holland. Just outside of town is Shady Maple Markets (they also have a huge smorgasbord if you like those). Similar meat selection, and they make their own Scrapple-yum-.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2021 at 12:02 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Life is good now.

Ben

well cornmeal is made from corn, Grits is made from Hominy, LOL

Unless they're stone-ground grits which is different altogether...

So, the lady in Arkansas got it wrong. Grits ain't necessarily...grits! But they do make a good breakfast side! I like 'em with plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Need to see if any of these groceries still stock hominy.

Hominy is dried corn kernels processed in an alkaline solution to get the husk and germ off it, leaving the starchy middle.

One of my great aunts used to make her own using wood ashes to make the alkali. She also used the wood ash to make her own lye soap.

And she made seriously good biscuit using a wood fired Home Comfort kitchen stove. Her granddaughter still has that stove.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Hominy is dried corn kernels processed in an alkaline solution to get the husk and germ off it, leaving the starchy middle.

One of my great aunts used to make her own using wood ashes to make the alkali. She also used the wood ash to make her own lye soap.

And she made seriously good biscuit using a wood fired Home Comfort kitchen stove. Her granddaughter still has that stove.

Anything made with sour mash? lol.

My grandmother had a decent sized still late 20's. I was told she had a quite a business.  She always drove a brand new Cadillac so..........(ok maybe not at that time but in her later years).

• Haha 1