1931 Lincoln Model K $35,000

What do you do when somebody has lost the engine?

Ask more money.

lincK.jpg.f39cbf506f3adabfd94b3692e97fcf47.jpg

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/georgetown-1931-lincoln-model-v8/7236253774.html

1931 Lincoln model k v8 car. This car is a original v8 car the lower block was lost in New Jersey. We have almost everything to reassemble the car. We have fresh heads and cylinders, pistons and all gaskets needed to reassemble Jeremiah (512) 709-7654

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

• Guest changed the title to 1931 Lincoln Model K $35,000

Worth 10-15k? Nope.......sad but true. All the value in this car is in a running engine for a swap out with an open car. Just think like the 1960's collector. And like you father says......"its a parts car" even if it's running and sorted. Biggest problem is not finding an engine......I could have on in an hour. It''s what you will have to pay for a good core.......because the guy who owns the engine will want five times it's value............ just like the car owner. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Donning my brickbats helmet, good and secure.  Since this '31 Lincoln K sedan is regarded as nothing more than a parts car, I'd replace the engine with a 337 cu. In. flathead V8 from a 1949-'51 Lincoln or Lincoln Cosmopolitan, just to make the car functional again.  Go to driving it for enjoyment, forget about the purity business.  Okay, start throwing, I'm ready!  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

I'd replace the engine with a 337 cu. In. flathead V8 from a 1949-'51 Lincoln or Lincoln Cosmopolitan, just to make the car functional again.  Go to driving it for enjoyment, forget about the purity business.  Okay, start throwing, I'm ready!  

New mounts, linkages, fuel and cooling systems AND the 49-51 trans is a column shift (manual) or GM hydromantic, the 31 is a floor shift.  

The 31 is a torque tube, the 49-51 is an open driveline. . . . so you will need a rear axle that will fit the 1931 wheels and then what about the mechanical vs. hydraulic brakes. . . . ? 

To make it functional you would have hundreds of hours of work and thousands in unexpected expenses that would likely come close to what it takes to buy and replace the original engine. (or maybe exceed it)  And that is why it is (sadly) a "parts car". . . . . 

DARN IT PEOPLE, dont lose the parts you removed from your old car!!! They are not replaceable. 

Edited by m-mman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Worth 10-15k? Nope.......sad but true. All the value in this car is in a running engine for a swap out with an open car. Just think like the 1960's collector. And like you father says......"its a parts car" even if it's running and sorted. Biggest problem is not finding an engine......I could have on in an hour. It''s what you will have to pay for a good core.......because the guy who owns the engine will want fie times it's value............ just like the car owner. 

You are probably right.   I wonder where sellers dream up prices from?   Steve Snyder has a beautiful Judkins Berline for the same money.

https://www.vaultcars.com/1930-lincoln-judkins-berline

https://www.vaultcars.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_7041.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, m-mman said:

DARN IT PEOPLE, dont lose the parts you removed from your old car!!! They are not replaceable.

This.

I spent a LONG time looking for undamaged blocks for my car when I found the hole in one of them. I talked to every Lincoln expert, every guy in the club, every guy who knew a guy who knew where one was, every fisherman who was using one as an anchor, and all their answers started the same way: Well, I have one but...

Granted a K V12 isn't the same as a K V8, but they're both equally scarce and existing isn't the same as being usable. I have six aluminum K V12 cylinder heads but only two of them are actually usable. Three [shockingly expensive] EE1 carburetors, only one of which has an uncracked body. I figure about 20% of the parts that are available for most things that aren't a Ford are still viable.

You'll need a $35,000 running, driving parts car to make this $35,000 Lincoln whole again. That's the joke!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m-mman said:

New mounts, linkages, fuel and cooling systems AND the 49-51 trans is a column shift (manual) or GM hydromantic, the 31 is a floor shift.  

The 31 is a torque tube, the 49-51 is an open driveline. . . . so you will need a rear axle that will fit the 1931 wheels and then what about the mechanical vs. hydraulic brakes. . . . ? 

To make it functional you would have hundreds of hours of work and thousands in unexpected expenses that would likely come close to what it takes to buy and replace the original engine. (or maybe exceed it)  And that is why it is (sadly) a "parts car". . . . . 

May be, I'm no expert.  I was thinking more in terms of an adapter plate for the 337 V8 to the existing transmission and built-up a pair of engine mounts, leave everything else as is, hook up the fuel and cooling, wiring etc.

But yes, good advice: "Don't lose the parts you removed from your old car!!! They are not replaceable. "

Edited by 58L-Y8
etc. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Donning my brickbats helmet, good and secure.  Since this '31 Lincoln K sedan is regarded as nothing more than a parts car, I'd replace the engine with a 337 cu. In. flathead V8 from a 1949-'51 Lincoln or Lincoln Cosmopolitan, just to make the car functional again.  Go to driving it for enjoyment, forget about the purity business.  Okay, start throwing, I'm ready!  

Why bother making a semi rod out of it.......you can buy the Lincoln intact for half why they are asking, and a fun rod for 15k......so the 35k will get you the real car and a rod......and not work or time to get there. 

So a car like this will just languish in limbo for eons then?

Even a price adjustment won't save it if original engine blocks have reached extinction level.

1 hour ago, 53 New Yorker said:

I can't help but wonder, HOW DOES A PERSON MISPLACE A VERY HEAVY ENGINE BLOCK?

LOST: Definition- I don’t want to pay the machine shop for the time they have in it. Happens all the time.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, 53 New Yorker said:

HOW DOES A PERSON MISPLACE A VERY HEAVY ENGINE BLOCK?

Common story:

It starts when "the part" is broken. Could be something big or small but typically it is something the keeps the car from running.

They remove it to repair it. They take it to either a local shop that has no idea how fix it OR they take it to a place that knows what it is and exactly how to fix it and charges accordingly. 

However, by the time it is deemed unrepairable (local shop) or has a significant charge lodged against it, the owner has died, moved or otherwise lost interest, so the parts are never picked up.  The shop has always lost the name of the owner who left the parts, and has no way to contact them, so they are disposed of. 

The car is then 'discovered' years later missing the critical parts and nobody has any idea where they went or even why they were removed in the first place. 

In this case I would assume that somebody removed and dismantled the engine thinking that since it is 'just a Ford V-8' it will be as simple and cheap to repair and any Ford flathead V-8. (Note: Full Classic motors are NOT easily or cheaply rebuilt) The missing block parts were sent for machining before the owner priced (or sourced) pistons, babbit, valves, timing chain, etc. and then gave up. He figured what the heck if he ever wants to finish the project "You can get that stuff anywhere. . ." 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 58L-Y8 said:

May be, I'm no expert.  I was thinking more in terms of an adapter plate for the 337 V8 to the existing transmission and built-up a pair of engine mounts,

Hummmmm. . . . I checked at Summit Racing and didnt see an adaptor that might unite these two. Where else might one check? 

1 minute ago, m-mman said:

Hummmmm. . . . I checked at Summit Racing and didnt see an adaptor that might unite these two. Where else might one check? 

No one makes one, time to take the measurements from the 337 V8 engine and 1931 bellhousing, CAD model the components in context, cut and mill it out the necessary parts.  Engine mounts the same way.  We have better tools now, it should be a job within our reach. 

On 12/2/2020 at 9:20 PM, 53 New Yorker said:

I can't help but wonder, HOW DOES A PERSON MISPLACE A VERY HEAVY ENGINE BLOCK?

LET ME SEE, IN RESTORING MY AUBURN, THERE WERE TWO LOST FLYWHEELS, 2 LOST CLUTCH DISKS, TWO LOST PRESSURE PLATES, A SET OF ENGINE MOUNTS, A TIMING GEAR, THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE TIMING GEAR ON,  THE OIL SLINGER, THE NUTS AND WASHER THAT HOLD ON THE HARMONIC BALANCER, AS SET OF REPRODUCTION CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS, AND I ASSUME I HAVE FORGOTTEN A FEW OTHER PARTS. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It is easy to lose parts on a full restoration.   Even if you are careful.   I try very hard to keep stuff in one place and labeled,  but it doesn't seem to work out that way all the time.   If I got hit by a bus mid restoration,  somebody down the line would be mumbling to themselves.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

LET ME SEE, IN RESTORING MY AUBURN, THERE WERE TWO LOST FLYWHEELS, 2 LOST CLUTCH DISKS, TWO LOST PRESSURE PLATES, A SET OF ENGINE MOUNTS, A TIMING GEAR, THE BOLT THAT HOLDS THE TIMING GEAR ON,  THE OIL SLINGER, THE NUTS AND WASHER THAT HOLD ON THE HARMONIC BALANCER, AS SET OF REPRODUCTION CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS, AND I ASSUME I HAVE FORGOTTEN A FEW OTHER PARTS. 

Remind me not to loan you any of my tools..........

• Haha 1

I once brought some 1907 Franklin parts to a fellow who specialized in that make rebuild.  He worked from home.

One complete engine, one partial engine, clutch assembly ( he was going to put it all together so I could just drop in car).

Two years go by, with me checking every few months.  My last call to him, his widow answers the phone.

Whoops.

Told her I’d like to come pick up parts and, depending on work done, settle up with her.  Four hour drive there, found most of one engine, nothing of the other engine nor clutch.

This was in a three car garage.  We even searched through the parts washer fluid, nothing. Nowhere to be found, and we looked everywhere.

How do parts get lost?  When they aren’t under your control, that’s how.....