Keys

awk409ak

1-Key for '63 as well?

So, my '63 has only the 1 octagon key and I have no B-U-I-C-K on my deck lid thinking maybe it is from another 1st Gen. Riv?

I salvaged a complete lock set from a '63 parts car back in the '80s and still have it. The trunk lock has a pear shaped key and can't remember if it fits the glovebox lock as well.

49 minutes ago, XframeFX said:

Thanks Ed, 1-Key for all '63 Riviera Locks.

If a pear shaped key is required for other GMs of that era, there's more than one. A 'D-Blank' should be correct and appears to be more difficult to source Briggs & Stratton

John,

The keys were not marked with alpha characters until `67. In `67, due to pressure from the insurance companies as a result of auto theft, GM started using multiple blanks coded with the alpha characters to increase the number of potential combinations. GM used the same slot configuration from `36 to `66!!

Tom Mooney

Just now, 1965rivgs said:

John,

The keys were not marked with alpha characters until `67. In `67, due to pressure from the insurance companies as a result of auto theft, GM started using multiple blanks coded with the alpha characters to increase the number of potential combinations. GM used the same slot configuration from `36 to `66!!

Tom Mooney

And yes, the Briggs and Stratton blanks are considered NOS as compared to the repro blanks produced by Strattec.

Tom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RivNut said:

63's had only one key. In the owner's manual,it's stated (something like) Your Riviera comes with two keys, each works all the locks. 

I guess that's convenient in most cases, however, I thought that having the glovebox share the trunk key provided some amount of security when leaving the car for service or valet parking situations.  With the 'one key system' the entire car is accessible to whoever has the ignition key.

Did Buick go to a 2 key system starting in '65?

My '65 car came with 2 keys, one for the doors and ignition (the hexagonal one), and a second key (with rounded shoulders) for the glovebox and trunk lock.  Is this correct for the year?

For '64 and earlier, how would a valet start the car "without a key"?  Telriv says the driver could turn the ignition to "OFF" and remove the key, allowing the car to be started without the key.  Would the valet put ANY key in there and the tumbler would turn to start the car?  

Just trying to imagine how that would work.

Alex,

What Telriv was saying is that the on the 64 (can't speak to any other years) the ign switch had a "LOCK" (all the way to the left) and that would lock the ign switch from being turn in any direction.  The middle location was "IGN OFF", but you could still turn the switch right to start the car without a key.  I check my 64 yesterday and what Telriv says is all true, and truthfully I did not know this.  So you should ALWAY turn your ign to the lock position and then remove the key, IMO.🙂

Art

• Like 1

Thanks Art for explaining how the 1-key system on the '64 worked.

Makes sense now that I see the ignition switch had a raised section around the key slot.  That allows for the switch to be turned to the Start position without the key in the switch.

This 'feature' was dropped for '65 - AFAIK you must have the key to turn the switch as the key slot is dished so the switch can't be turned without the key.

• 2 weeks later...

hELLO

I try to retry cylinder lock with the hole with attach letter but i can't .

So i will be able to drill the lock cylinder to remplace it (it is damaged on my car).

And if i can change  the ignition switch i will make at the same repair.

SO I have an ignition switch on my riviera 1966 with 4 pins (D-R, battery, ignition and access);

But CAN I put an ignition switch with 5 pins ?

The difference is on the ground pin.

There is the pin ground on the ignition switch 5 pins.

On my ignition switch (4 pins),it is written "ground" on the switch but no pin.

Thanks

Philip

ignition switch 4-5pins.jpg

Edited by cquisuila (see edit history)

On your 4-pin switch, the D-R stands for Delco-Remy, the name of the GM division that made it.

You need to look at your plug that connects to the back of the switch. The 5th pin (the GND pin) may not have a place that it can go into. This might prevent the wires from connecting to the switch, unless you cut that 5th pin off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Cannon said:

On your 4-pin switch, the D-R stands for Delco-Remy, the name of the GM division that made it.

You need to look at your plug that connects to the back of the switch. The 5th pin (the GND pin) may not have a place that it can go into. This might prevent the wires from connecting to the switch, unless you cut that 5th pin off.

So in my switch  the ground is made with the board panel or internal in the switch ?

If i put a switch 5 pins I have to connect a ground wire to this 5th pin. no ???

HERE my connector switch :

IGNITION SWITCH DETAIL.jpg

HELP !! emergency please🥵

on my ignition switch connector, the wire black connected with the pink heats and melts the plastic !!!🥵

this wire ...is connected with a cross tracer wire ???

THERE IS a loop in this wire !!

Here the diagram of riviera 1966 with detail's ignition switch

what's the problem please ??

NEIMAN FIL RESISTANCE IGNITION.jpg

neiman detail fils.jpg

A previous owner did something that was unique to his needs. It's anyone's guess what he had in mind.  In other words, it's not like that from the factory.  You best bet is to get your hands on a wring diagram and put everything back to normal. Trying to figure out what some guy did before you got the car will drive you batty.

Thanks Ed !🙂

i have the diagram but it is not all.

The precedent owner in USA will not answer me.

I hope that a another man will be able to help me with the wire in place in my car and he can explain to me the diagram of the ignition switch with especially this famous cross tracer wire on ignition pin (see the diagram picture) ???

Here's a wiring diagram for 1966 Riviera.  You will need to order this or find a 1966 repair manual or maybe someone will scan it for you and PM you with it. 

I agree with Ed, get the correct info and get the correct 5 pin switch with the correct plug for it.  Using the correct components will make it a whole lot easier.

Could the previous owner have burn the fusible link wire, then wire it way?

Art

https://www.classiccarwiring.com/1966-buick-riviera-color-wiring-diagram/?sku=1966BUKRIV17&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl4G8rvrc7QIVBaGGCh326A2pEAQYAyABEgLYxPD_BwE

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

5 hours ago, cquisuila said:

HELP !! emergency please🥵

on my ignition switch connector, the wire black connected with the pink heats and melts the plastic !!!🥵

this wire ...is connected with a cross tracer wire ???

THERE IS a loop in this wire !!

Here the diagram of riviera 1966 with detail's ignition switch

what's the problem please ??

NEIMAN FIL RESISTANCE IGNITION.jpg

neiman detail fils.jpg

The cloth covered wiring in the picture is the factory resistant wire which should go from the "on" terminal of the ignition switch to the ignition coil.

Tom Mooney