1923 Jewett Tourer - Fuel flow after running out

AussieRay

Hi

i’m new to this vintage car caper.  I have a 1923 Jewett 6 Cylinder (by Paige) - pictured

i ran out of fuel (not realising the last bit won’t pick up).  After refill there is plenty of fuel in the vacuum system but none is flowing through to the carby.   The hose between vac  system and carb is completely dry and yes I’ve opened the fuel valve at the base of the vac system.

I’m sure this is a basic fix ... I thought of priming the carb but could do with some do and don’t advice on that as well, if you think that’s the go.  Only ever primed a tractor before.

F04C4145-8F48-41E9-871D-799BDEDE55B9.jpeg

Edited by AussieRay (see edit history)

Most vacuum tanks have an inner tank that has a flapper valve at the bottom of the internal tank. Take the internal tank out and see if the valve is stuck shut.  This happened to me on a 1923 Durant.

• Like 1

@Oldtech the little glass bowl at the bottom was empty.  When I loosened the screw slightly at the bottom of that, fuel dropped into (and out of) that bowl.  It’s now full.  I haven’t checked the rest of the vacuum tank yet.  Sounds like I need to pull it apart - do you know if the idea is to take the top off that (which will involve removing the vacuum and fuel pipes I think)?

And thanks re: Car.  Just fell in love with it.  Former museum piece - very pristine but may need some road toughening.

Welcome to the world of pre war cars. We call taking a museum car and getting it on the road “sorting”. It will drive you crazy for a while, then eventually everything will be ok. It’s not as easy as everyone thinks. That said, order a rebuild kit for the SW vacuum tank BEFORE you take it apart. The top gasket and vent area is fussy, and if not perfect will drive you insane. Hal sells a nice kit for reasonable money. I keep them in my toolbox, as I have several cars with them. Looks like you bought a very nice car. Please understand that it’s not a modern road car, don’t take it on highways, and running it hard will cause problems. Find it’s sweet spot and keep it driving there. Each car is different. How about a few photos, including under the hood.

www.classicpreservation.com

06C654BF-FBCC-4767-A43D-46910798B7D9.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

It kind of sounds like your float valve is stuck in the carb. If there's gas in the vacuum tank it's not the problem.  Loosening the sediment bowl allowed air to escape and gas to run in. I don't know what kind of carb it has but if you can take the lid off the float bowl you can see if it's empty. I agree that you shouldn't be hasty to take the tank apart, you may just have a crumb in the float (needle) valve.

Edited by Oldtech (see edit history)

What a brilliant group this is!!  All so (as we'd say over here) bloody helpful.  I've been floating around a few IT forums lately and it seems there that the objective is more to tell you how stupid you've been in either the way you word the question or for having *that* type of computer 😞

We have a thunderstorm approaching right now and she's sitting outside (covered of course) because I couldn't get her back into the shed.  Not happy, but this has given me a bunch of ideas for after the storm passes.  (By the way for the Saskatch folk - its 37C here today! (About 98F)

I look forward to hearing from Grimey! 

1 hour ago, AussieRay said:

I look forward to hearing from Grimey! 

No "e" in Grimy!  🙂 @AussieRayplease PM me your email address and I'll send you an article in pdf form (can't attach here) that I wrote 10 yrs ago on the care and feeding of vacuum tanks--and what to carry on the road to address those "oh pshaw!" moments....  

As Ed says, get a kit first, but since your Jewett was a museum piece, sooner rather than later you'll need to do the remove and overhaul described in the article.  After that, you're good for 20 years.

• Like 1

When I got my 1917 White going again in October after sitting for 70 plus years, I removed the top of the tank, cleaned the tank out with carb cleaner to get the dust and rust flakes out, and reassembled it. Only new part was the gasket. I ran all the old springs and valves. I placed it on the car, primed it, and have run hundreds of miles with it already........and it’s 100 percent reliable. So at 103 years old.........it’s rather neat technology that is definitely maintenance free if kept clean.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:47 PM, AussieRay said:

What a brilliant group this is!!  All so (as we'd say over here) bloody helpful.  I've been floating around a few IT forums lately and it seems there that the objective is more to tell you how stupid you've been in either the way you word the question or for having *that* type of computer 😞

Hi Ray, welcome to the AACA forum. You hit the nail on the head, these are such a helpful bunch, it doesn’t matter what you ask, you will get 27 different ways to skin a cat. All of them useful. The search facility here is worth a try as you sometimes find the answer immediately. Otherwise posting here is very worthwhile.

The only bitch I have is that no one wants to come over here (Australia) and replace the axle seals or brake cups in my 1938 Buick, even though I have offered free accomodation for the participant. I have to retire from full time work tomorrow just to get them done. 

I have so much help from this forum with my ‘63 Riviera and ‘38 Special, that I will look here most nights. Always something you can learn.

Enjoy the journey.

Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2

Rodney, pay my airfare and the wife’s, and I will be happy to take car of that for you. I was looking at flights yesterday........between the price, length of flight, jet lag, and cost........it will be the Cotswolds again.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)